• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
26 26

4,888 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2021 at 11:43 PM, SpeedforceKJ said:

Has anyone seen any graded pages of Showcase 4? I've come to accept I'll never own a copy but similar to how Batman 1 & Tec 27 in recent times have had pages graded, I want to at least own a page or cover to the issue just for collection purposes. 

I am sure it will happen. In last six years I have seen at least two books that were missing pages, one had center wrap missing and one more page and the other had the first wrap missing. Both missing the cover. There are also a few missing the cover or just missing the front cover. The first couple of pages in that book are classic.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:16 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I am sure it will happen. In last six years I have seen at least two books that were missing pages, one had center wrap missing and one more page and the other had the first wrap missing. Both missing the cover. There are also a few missing the cover or just missing the front cover. The first couple of pages in that book are classic.

Thats going to be my saving grace to have part of it i guess. I'd love to get just a cover however I just want to have a page at a minimum. My pockets dont run deep like some peoples haha, but has a fan and collector I wont feel my collection is near complete without having something of that book in it (outside the german reprint that I have)

On 9/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, SpeedforceKJ said:

Thats going to be my saving grace to have part of it i guess. I'd love to get just a cover however I just want to have a page at a minimum. My pockets dont run deep like some peoples haha, but has a fan and collector I wont feel my collection is near complete without having something of that book in it (outside the german reprint that I have)

Share your German reprint when you get a chance KJ. I'd like to see it! Is it from the 50's or is it a more modern reprint? Because that was one way I was thinking for me to get close to a SC4 by maybe getting an Australian reprint, German, Italian anything really. 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:32 PM, flashlites said:

Share your German reprint when you get a chance KJ. I'd like to see it! Is it from the 50's or is it a more modern reprint? Because that was one way I was thinking for me to get close to a SC4 by maybe getting an Australian reprint, German, Italian anything really. 

It’s from 2000. Full reprint done in German. 
0F02660E-37D9-4D5D-A41B-321E13F3DA60.thumb.jpeg.83122db2a1c7f4f8985b35e06fa556a1.jpeg

This is the Australian SC4 first story and intro Flash 1956. Think it hit the stands here in 56. Could that be Cinfa ?? Image is not that great. The city skyline is promising, and it was very early days so some of the trademark speedlines may not have been used, but unless I had it in my hands - which I do not, I would hesitate to say. There are lots of Flash 1# around the world from the very early 60s, but I only know of the Nembo Kid (Italy) and Australia that actually opened with SC4.

2196945-3.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

This is the Australian SC4 first story and intro Flash 1956. Think it hit the stands here in 56. Could that be Cinfa ?? Image is not that great. The city skyline is promising, and it was very early days so some of the trademark speedlines may not have been used, but unless I had it in my hands - which I do not, I would hesitate to say. There are lots of Flash 1# around the world from the very early 60s, but I only know of the Nembo Kid (Italy) and Australia that actually opened with SC4.

2196945-3.jpg

These must be very rare if even you don't own one Terry! To me it looks like someone tried to draw the Flash in Carmine's style but didn't quite hit the mark? Still I would love to own one or even the Italian version. I imagine they are expensive but may be affordable for guys like me and KJ?

A Nembo Kid went on ebay BIN for around $800 a few months ago, was in  nice shape. Yep never seen the Australian one, it is out there obviously but I don't know anyone who has it. These Australian editions (not reprints as this is all that was sold here and done as soon as the art could be shipped) used to be in the $20-40 range but those same books are now over $100+ and some like the SC22 over $600, and probably much more next time. I do however have Story 2. From SC4, the first Broome Flash story and as anyone who knew much about Broome it was a Sci-fi story. And of course our hero had no chance in 1956 of bumping a cowboy off the cover.

aSC4b 012.JPG

aSC4b 01.JPG

On 10/5/2021 at 11:45 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

A Nembo Kid went on ebay BIN for around $800 a few months ago, was in  nice shape. Yep never seen the Australian one, it is out there obviously but I don't know anyone who has it. These Australian editions (not reprints as this is all that was sold here and done as soon as the art could be shipped) used to be in the $20-40 range but those same books are now over $100+ and some like the SC22 over $600, and probably much more next time. I do however have Story 2. From SC4, the first Broome Flash story and as anyone who knew much about Broome it was a Sci-fi story. And of course our hero had no chance in 1956 of bumping a cowboy off the cover.

aSC4b 012.JPG

aSC4b 01.JPG

Awesome history there! Thanks as always for sharing Terry!

On 10/6/2021 at 7:41 AM, SpeedforceKJ said:

Here’s my showcase 13. I’m the third owner. It’s beat/restored(?) I don’t think it’s worth grading in its condition. Will prolly just get a nice myler set for it and call it a day 96FC9029-E9E8-4D1E-8C4A-6D348E4078F5.thumb.jpeg.4f0e0fdc782cba8e43ad39a535a0df17.jpeg

Awesome!!!! That's the one SC issue I have! Yours is in much, much better shape than mine. Still I am so very proud to own it!

On 10/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, innocuous said:

Loving your photo set-up. Now you just need a Barry statue to go with the two Wally ones.

Thanks! And the large statue is actually Barry. It’s a new 52 statue. The small vinyl figure is from a Japanese brand called BAPE. 

On 10/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, innocuous said:

:popcorn:

Sorry I did not get to it last night. It nothing amazing, just something I found Flash related at the Big Texas Comicon last weekend. I did not know this magazine even existed, so I was delighted to see this issue from the early 90's with Flash on the cover. Great interview with John Wesley Shipp!

image.png.c737651f1e6770641a22c0f74e0c7f10.png