• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
24 24

4,846 posts in this topic

As as they said in the 1948 Show .. "and now for something, completely different"..Oh yeah, when you love something , it kind of takes control. There were numerous reprints but these are both local editions. The Australian (Hundred was usually around 6 months after it hit the US newstands. Not sure about Nembo Kid and they came in two formats. One was a digest version this one is the magazine size. The Nembo kid came in a few months ago, was not easy.

DSC05071.JPG

Flash 129.JPG

002.JPG

On 10/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, oakenfelder said:

Still waiting on my 175, but thought I would share my other flash related pick up. Sorry if it’s not allowed. 

image.jpg

While we are on the topic of Flash crossover appearances.  I picked this book up at the LCS at about the same time my copy of Flash Comics #81 arrived. The cover's has the Batman seemingly cutting off the Flash, while the Speed Boys are making off with the loot. However the kicker is, why would the Flash encounter difficulties  in running down the Speed Boys.  12 cents well spent back in the day to find out why.

scan0688.jpg

Edited by frozentundraguy

On 10/28/2021 at 10:02 PM, frozentundraguy said:

While we are on the topic of Flash crossover appearances.  I picked this book up at the LCS at about the same time my copy of Flash Comics #81 arrived. The cover's has the Batman seemingly cutting off the Flash, while the Speed Boys are making off with the loot. However the kicker is, why would the Flash encounter difficulties  in running down the Speed Boys.  12 cents well spent back in the day to find out why.

scan0688.jpg

Love this book! (yours is in much better shape than mine :pullhair:) Gotta love those gogo checks!

On 10/29/2021 at 8:41 AM, SpeedforceKJ said:

Happy last day of work before Halloween to my fellow flash collectors 

7790E198-FF62-4981-A44E-8638951B8AFD.thumb.jpeg.1562cc66e5d381b3ce030ca2106fccab.jpeg

Very nice!!! Crazy fun fact about Flashlites: I have a Flash costume in my locker at work. Unfortunately I have not been back to the office since covid. I would put the costume on for our town hall events. It got lots of laughs when I would run across the room :roflmao:. The higher ups loved it and bought more superhero costumes for mid management to wear for the town halls. My colleagues either love me or hate me for it. :insane: 

On 10/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, innocuous said:

Strange, I can't find 346-350 in the box, all are minimum 9.2. Starting at 326, handcuffs, then it goes on and on and on and on...

flash-trial.thumb.jpg.86cc9992c0c46c7f7e738ba65f7aaec4.jpg

Was looking over Mycomic shop last week on Flash and noticed those 343-349 books are the are either not available or highest grade is F+, not the usual VF+ you can get from them. I also had a harder time filling those in back in 2018 when I went to ECCC (my first US Con). Could get any number of 296-320 but those later ones were hard to track down. I remember reading a couple of years ago that for many big DC titles in the early 80's they had comparitivley small print runs,of around 70,000. That size run is good today but very small compared to mid 60s and many of the runs from early 80s to 2000. Actually everything over 323 is priced at a higher point that 300-322. Last year or maybe 2018-19 they were all priced about the same.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:44 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Was looking over Mycomic shop last week on Flash and noticed those 343-349 books are the are either not available or highest grade is F+, not the usual VF+ you can get from them. I also had a harder time filling those in back in 2018 when I went to ECCC (my first US Con). Could get any number of 296-320 but those later ones were hard to track down. I remember reading a couple of years ago that for many big DC titles in the early 80's they had comparitivley small print runs,of around 70,000. That size run is good today but very small compared to mid 60s and many of the runs from early 80s to 2000. Actually everything over 323 is priced at a higher point that 300-322. Last year or maybe 2018-19 they were all priced about the same.

This was the part of the run for me that was much harder to put together than I though it would be. They were nowhere to be found in my LCS's and many gaps at the big websites if they were available at all. Fortunately I was able to pick up very high grade copies from a private collection of everything I needed to complete the run. My theory was that these issues were typically turned down for many, many years by dealers as they were considered dollar books and not worth it to buy when they came in door. They cherry picked all the silver age stuff and sent the rest home with the seller. I believe they are all still sitting in basements all over the country with all the other "unwanted" DC Bronze age. All the stuff that the comic shop turned down all those years ago when they made that tough decision to sell that fateful day. That combined with the smaller print runs really puts collectors like us on the hunt. Many may have been brought in by a relative of the collector and they are just unaware if their current value. So there they sit collecting dust. After lining up and purchasing issues like 123, 139, 105 I was starting to wonder how in the world it was seeming more difficult to find a 348 or a 346??!! Kinda drove me crazy for a bit. Thank goodness I found a true Flash fan who was willing to let go of them! I will be forever grateful! And in such great shape! Nearly all of them 9.6's or 9.8's!!! I expect their value to continue to climb.

Funny discussing 40 year old books. If they were bought by a collectors who bagged and boarded them, they may still be super high grade but if just in a comic box, not so. Back in the 80s when I started chasing my SA stuff it was only 20+ years old and price points for 137, 123, 112, etc was already biting (not 139 though). Very, Very hard to find Nm back then, but not too hard to find the books, even if only dealing with two dealers, who really did not care about SA as they were BIG on GA. The VG-F books  for 140-170 were 50c and with luck they could come out a 6.5.  I think a lot of these books went out in the 25c, 50c bins back in the 80s -90s and were chewed up and spat out. For a 25c book do people bag and board them put them carefully in a  comic box and then store the box carefully in a cabinet ?

One good thing about post 1980 collectors is basically no one stores in the garage anymore. I picked up some high grade books late 80s from late SA, that are now very tan on the covers. Stored well but in the wrong place.

and very nice 346 !!

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs