• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2016 at 1:55 PM, TheAmazing R.J.S. said:

Nice pick up ! this is as close as I'm gonna get to owning that book for now :(

003_zpsfcgp1ayh.jpg

That's one of the all-time classic house ads by the old master Ira Schnapp!

untitled4py8jm.png

Ira continued to recycle the "Just One Second" motif in future ads:

Mar23jpg_zpsh3fxgk4u.jpg

Flash-GL21962.jpg

B|

16 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

I'm working on an early Silver age run of Flash going from Showcase 4 - Flash 140. Off to a decent start. I posted a few of what I have on the last page, here's the few that I've added since.

hhPVBoAl.jpg

jo6SH2ml.jpg

That will be a fun "run" to build.  (thumbsu

On 3/22/2017 at 2:25 PM, Jking3437 said:

It is getting tougher and tougher to find higher grade flash books....

It's never been easy though, or at least not since the week they were first on the stands. Retailers didn't stock many (retailers had one or none in my experience), they were snapped up quickly, and then when they were gone they were gone.  So don't think they were plentiful in back issue bins of comic shops in the seventies. 

:frown:

Edited by Hepcat

Just got this in hand today from the recent Pedigree auction. BTW, it's nice to see Doug slowly listing more DC in his auctions !

Since the old label case looked a little dingy, I decided to deslab it. It looked awesome in hand with the covers inks still strong. Since the topic gets brought up once in a while, the page quality look more White = did not deteriorate in the slab. Also, the micro chamber sheets looked great, nearly fresh. I think these sheets do their job a lot longer than the 7 year 'estimate'. I love opening up the old label slabs. They are so easy to open up. I didn't even need a scissors on the inner well, it just peeled off. IMO, much safer.

Flash#130.jpg

I don't know if others agree, but I think SCS damage during shipping was much more common early on. I had many bad experiences from 2000-2004, and I haven't had a problem with SCS for years now. So for that reason I'm a little squeamish about buying old label slabs now.

55 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

I don't know if others agree, but I think SCS damage during shipping was much more common early on. I had many bad experiences from 2000-2004, and I haven't had a problem with SCS for years now. So for that reason I'm a little squeamish about buying old label slabs now.

I concur on the SCS era. I think CGC started employing a wedge more often, which definitely helps contain SCS. However, the extensive use of the wedge has introduced another 'silent killer'. Though it has no acronym, the situation where the cover sticks to the inner well while the inner pages move. This causes stress on the staple area, sometimes incurring damage. While SCS damage can usually be pressed out, damage to the staple area is permanent. The OCD comic collector just can't win.

On 7/5/2017 at 6:04 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur on the SCS era. I think CGC started employing a wedge more often, which definitely helps contain SCS. However, the extensive use of the wedge has introduced another 'silent killer'. Though it has no acronym, the situation where the cover sticks to the inner well while the inner pages move. This causes stress on the staple area, sometimes incurring damage. While SCS damage can usually be pressed out, damage to the staple area is permanent. The OCD comic collector just can't win.

I'm sorry, what's SCS?