• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major Keys - Quality vs. Quantity?

What's more important with Major Keys, Quality or Quantity?   

444 members have voted

1. 1. What's more important with Major Keys, Quality or Quantity?

20 posts in this topic

Saw this thread with lots of great low grade keys:

url=http://home.comcast.net/~ffcomics/chris.html]Link[/url]

So with that in mind:

There are just way too many books that I want to try to get a quality copy of each of them.

many of my most key books are restored. How the hell else can you get a Superman 2 , All Star 1 or Worlds Finest 1 etc for about 1k

Superman2.jpg

There are just way too many books that I want to try to get a quality copy of each of them.

many of my most key books are restored. How the hell else can you get a Superman 2 , All Star 1 or Worlds Finest 1 etc for about 1k

Superman2.jpg

hail.gif

When I go for KEY issues I try to purchase the best grade my budget will allow even if it means using some of the dealers that will accept time payments. I try to atleast buy a VF/VF+ depending on the book and price ofcourse.

My thoughts are if you're going after one of the Keys you should try to get the best one possible your budget will allow so you don't have deal with an upgrade later on. Also I think it's better investment in the long run and a book you'll be proud to have in your collection for many years.

When I go for KEY issues I try to purchase the best grade my budget will allow even if it means using some of the dealers that will accept time payments. I try to atleast buy a VF/VF+ depending on the book and price ofcourse.

My thoughts are if you're going after one of the Keys you should try to get the best one possible your budget will allow so you don't have deal with an upgrade later on. Also I think it's better investment in the long run and a book you'll be proud to have in your collection for many years.

A very thoughtful approach, FB.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking would you rather have a VF Amazing Fantasy 15 and NO other keys because all your $$ is tied up in the Fantasy, or are you asking would you rather have 1 Fine Spider-Man #1's or 4 Good copies? I THINK you are saying you'll accept nice looking restored or otherwise flawed keys in your collection just to have them, rather than just being able to have a few unrestored (in the case of expensive GA) or high grade Silver. This makes sense considering an overall collection, but makes no sense if just looking at 1 book. I think you, and everyone here would agree you should always buy the nicest copy you can afford of any book. This is for aesthetic reasons and, of course, future resale.

In the mid 70's when I started to replace my entire Marvel collection my sister shredded while I was at college (and condition wasn't as important then), I'd hit a convention trying to get as many books as possible with the money I had. But,,, even then, when I went after certain books (FF Annual 1,2; ASM 6,28,33 Annual 2, Avengers 4, DD 7, Action 252 come immediately to mind) I tried to find NM copies

I find myself at conventions usually buying 1 key high quality book and then spending every cent I have on F+ books at discount prices just to complete collections. I just completed X-Men and am now working on ASM. I of course now am going back and replacing those books I have bought over the years that a VG - Fair condition, while I might have only spent $2 - $5 each for them, I wish I would have bought less quantity and higher quality at the time. 20years ago I could have not bought those 15 needed comics to fill my collection at $100 and instead bought a MN ASM 129. Fast forward 20years, those same 15 needed comics still would run about $80 - $150 at a con.........where that NM ASM129 costs a mortgage payment.

I think when you are talking Silver Age, the basis for quantity over quality should start at a 6.0 or higher. You will always be able to pick up those keys in 4.0 and lower at book price or less.