• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella's - Show 'em off
14 14

2,294 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2022 at 12:55 PM, flashlites said:

So very cool to see that again after so many years! Thanks so much for sharing! I just may have to get one of those reprints! Now I'm trying to remember where I saw it? I don't believe any of my friends mothers would have allowed them to have it up in their rooms, mine would not have. :roflmao: Maybe it was at the local head shop? Although the where eludes me to this day, the image stuck with me all this time.

Thx, but it's not mine; I just swiped the pic from a current listing on da'Bay.

On 5/3/2022 at 1:15 PM, wombat said:

Here is my original. Unfortunately it sits in a tube because to get this framed right would cost a fortune. 

IMG_7898.jpeg

It's awesome to say the least! Iconic piece of Vampirella history! Thanks for sharing!

On 5/3/2022 at 12:15 PM, wombat said:

Here is my original. Unfortunately it sits in a tube because to get this framed right would cost a fortune. Here is a link that talks about the different versions. http://www.vampilore.co.uk/ephemera/posters.html

IMG_7898.jpeg

@Artboy99has his framed!

So, some of you may recall I grabbed a beater copy of Vampirella #113 a few weeks ago just so I could not worry about having a copy or not, since it wasn't technically Warren.

I should have held fast, because this one turned up at MCS for $111.  They had it as a 4.0... It's not high grade, but if this is a 4.0 I'll take it any day of the year.  I actually briefly debated if I should bother upgrading at that price tag... then I noticed the price tag printed on the book:

Vampirella_113.jpg

Vampirella_113b.jpg

On 5/4/2022 at 11:04 PM, OtherEric said:

So, some of you may recall I grabbed a beater copy of Vampirella #113 a few weeks ago just so I could not worry about having a copy or not, since it wasn't technically Warren.

I should have held fast, because this one turned up at MCS for $111.  They had it as a 4.0... It's not high grade, but if this is a 4.0 I'll take it any day of the year.  I actually briefly debated if I should bother upgrading at that price tag... then I noticed the price tag printed on the book:

Vampirella_113.jpg

Vampirella_113b.jpg

Ok, I don't know the story of the price tag printed on the book...? (I'm still a newbie to all this.)

But mine (which has "$3.95" printed on it) wouldn't grade any higher than a 4.0 either, due to the barely visible but 3/4 book length corner crease (starting above the "u" in "Drakulonne" and continuing southeast through two fingers to the leading edge)--but you have to look pretty hard to see it, and it presents just about as pretty as that 4.0.

2108188189_VAMPIRELLA113F.thumb.jpg.3e4426b5f41f5e111df0b345742dfc63.jpg1277006792_VAMPIRELLA113B.thumb.jpg.5a57b443750136095b0ae7cd0556d7bb.jpg

On 5/4/2022 at 9:36 PM, Axe Elf said:

Ok, I don't know the story of the price tag printed on the book...? (I'm still a newbie to all this.)

Canadian variant.  There are 13 on the census, compared to 190 of the regular $3.95 version. 

Canadian price variants exist for quite a few scattered Warren books; this is possibly the best known (even if it's not technically a Warren).

On 5/4/2022 at 11:56 PM, OtherEric said:

There are 13 on the census, compared to 190 of the regular $3.95 version.

Again, I don't know enough to know the demand relative to the supply, so are the Canadian variants more or less desirable?

On 5/4/2022 at 10:08 PM, Axe Elf said:

Again, I don't know enough to know the demand relative to the supply, so are the Canadian variants more or less desirable?

They're more desirable because of their relative rarity, but a lot of people don't care one way or the other, so the demand doesn't increase directly with the increased scarcity.  Somewhat like Mark Jewelers variants.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:19 AM, OtherEric said:

They're more desirable because of their relative rarity, but a lot of people don't care one way or the other, so the demand doesn't increase directly with the increased scarcity.  Somewhat like Mark Jewelers variants.

Yeah, that's kind of what I wondered.  Scarcity doesn't always equate to value, if nobody wants the ones there are less of.  Sounds like the Canadian variant is at a mild premium, but not in proportion to its scarcity.

All good, eh?

Great info on the 113 there, thanks! I don't have any of the final 3-4 issues yet. So I need all the info I can get on them. I'm kinda in the camp currently where I sort of believe 113 is part of the run? We've had this discussion in the past but it just sort of feels like it should belong.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:47 AM, flashlites said:

Great info on the 113 there, thanks! I don't have any of the final 3-4 issues yet. So I need all the info I can get on them. I'm kinda in the camp currently where I sort of believe 113 is part of the run? We've had this discussion in the past but it just sort of feels like it should belong.

113 belongs in the Vampirella run as much as 146 belongs in the CREEPY run.  Maybe they get an asterisk for being published by a different company, but I feel like they are close enough to their predecessors in both style and chronology (within 5 years of the Warren collapse) to be included.  Otherwise they are just kind of single-issue runs sitting out there by themselves.

I've seen some people try to lump the "1993 Fearbook" into the CREEPY run, though, and to me, that just doesn't fit.  For starters, it was published TEN years after the Warren run ended, and it appears AFTER the four issues of "CREEPY The Limited Series" that Harris published in 1992.  It's also the same regular-comic size as the four Limited Series books, not the full magazine-size in the Warren tradition.  If anything, it fits in better as a fifth book in THAT run than it does as a standard CREEPY annual.

I will just have to get a 113 to really find out for myself! I'd like to see the insides and see who did the art. Do you know if any of the original artists were hired back to create this issue?

On 5/5/2022 at 2:08 PM, flashlites said:

I will just have to get a 113 to really find out for myself! I'd like to see the insides and see who did the art. Do you know if any of the original artists were hired back to create this issue?

https://www.comics.org/issue/628824/

It’s mostly reprints, the only new story doesn’t feature Vampirella.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:36 AM, Axe Elf said:

But mine (which has "$3.95" printed on it) wouldn't grade any higher than a 4.0 either, due to the barely visible but 3/4 book length corner crease (starting above the "u" in "Drakulonne" and continuing southeast through two fingers to the leading edge)--but you have to look pretty hard to see it, and it presents just about as pretty as that 4.0.

Those are both pretty attractive copies. 4.0 seems kind of tough...  :foryou: