• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,426 posts in this topic

Is a rockt through the Earth sybolism for for something in the 40's?

The cover story is an adaptation of the Burroughs novel At the Earth's Core, a Hollow Earth/Lost World story. The "rocket" is the vehicle that the protaganists use to travel through the Earth's crust - probably the first "Mole Machine" in fiction and a device that would often be imitated. The cover is just a stylistic representation. (thumbs u

Jeff

Don't have any proof of that but that's quite an interesting question. My money is that it was used somewhere else before, ... maybe in the Dime Novels ... Now, I will wonder all night :pullhair:

I've wondered about it for a long time too. :)At the Earth's Core was first published in 1914 in All-Story - pretty early. But as you say if that concept appeared anywhere earlier it would in the dime novels. Hoohah Collectibles or Bob B. might know. hm

Great painted Shadow cover and an even better Zip-Jet...A cover I have high on my wantlist.

The Zip-Jet has been on my short list for some time now...guess I should get #2 to complete the run... :grin:

The cover story is an adaptation of the Burroughs novel At the Earth's Core, a Hollow Earth/Lost World story. The "rocket" is the vehicle that the protaganists use to travel through the Earth's crust - probably the first "Mole Machine" in fiction and a device that would often be imitated. The cover is just a stylistic representation. (thumbs u

Jeff

Don't have any proof of that but that's quite an interesting question. My money is that it was used somewhere else before, ... maybe in the Dime Novels

Frank Reade is a likely candidate.

Zip-Jet #1 Liberated from the competitors slab.

zipjet1.jpg

"Fantastic Brain Destroyers" (thumbs u

Comics have been called that for years!

The reasons why I won't be chasing Tec27Kid's Marvel 1 or Ciorac's Exciting #9:

Tec #19 cgc 4.0 unrestored:

Tec19.jpg[/img]

Tec #20 Fine + Windy City:

Tec20.jpg[/img]

Tec #31 CGC 5.0 unrestored:

Tec3150.jpg[/img]

Flash #1 unrestored VG-:

Flash1.jpg[/img]