• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,387 posts in this topic

Timely,

I am curious why you sold your DCs and started collecting Timely instead? Over the past year, I have been trying to learn as much as possible about the various Golden Age publishers and pedigrees. So far, I've been especially interested in More Fun and Adventure and it is kind of strange to see someone else selling off the exact books that I'd like to collect. To me, the Church copies of these two titles - including many of the books that you owned - represent the very best of the best. I assume you must have felt like this too at some point so what made your interests change?

PS: That Tec' 31 is unbelievable - wow...

The reason I sold them is because I was out of money and out of sources. I bought the remaining MH's that Pat Kochanek and Gary Carter owned. Gerber long sold off his books and John Verzyl was also out. Geppi was not selling his DC's. There are about 1300 DC superhero GA books. I was trying to get them all, but I soon realized that 10 lifetimes would not be enough time to get them and complete the Mile High DC set. I did have own over 200 of them, but with no more money and no more books to buy, I decided to sell.

When you collect MH books, there is only one copy. So If you own Action 1-100 but need # 60 to complete the set, you are stuck, especially if the # 60 is lost, or the owner "Will never" sell it.

I always loved Timelys, the art was always more exciting to me than DC. Now I am trying to complete the 429 Timely set. I still prefer pedigree copies, however now I am not stuck into getting the one and only MH copy.

Timely

I can relate to that on a smaller scale. I've been collecting Disney comics but got to a point where I just couldn't find upgrades any longer. When I do find something I like, I have to pay far more than market value to get it. That (along with the fact that I can finally afford a nice pedigree collection) has made me look for new challenges. Not least thanks to these boards, I've realized that there are so many other cool Golden Age titles out there and that I can get a lot more value for my money by branching out.

I've never seen a Timely comic except from pictures (am 36 and only moved to the US 10 years ago). If you were to point a novice collector to a single issue of any title in order to get him excited about that publisher, what would it be? Joanna recommended Wonder Woman #28 for that title, for example.

Timely-

I don't mean to pry and you don't have to answer this, but were there any MH DC copies you felt were so exceptional that you held on to them? Or were those last few sold at the July Heritage auction the last of them? Those were all exceptional books and I don't know how they could get much better than that. Thanks, just curious.

Stagedoorjohnny

"but with no more money and no more books to buy, I decided to sell."

I'd love to see your collection, and you really talk the talk and walk the walk, as they say. (I remember your argument with Fishler last summer here, too!) So I dont understand this statement. Anyone who sets out to compete the MH collection (as Geppi did abortedly a few years ago) HAS to know what it will entail cash-wise. So running out of money CANT be the reason one decides to throw in the towel.

I've never seen a Timely comic except from pictures (am 36 and only moved to the US 10 years ago). If you were to point a novice collector to a single issue of any title in order to get him excited about that publisher, what would it be? Joanna recommended Wonder Woman #28 for that title, for example.

I know this question was directed at Timely but thought I would offer an opinion - I have a very difficult time selecting a TITLE let alone a single issue! After mulling it over I would probably sample an early issue of Marvel Mystery (1-35) to get the best feel for the company. There you get The Human Torch and Sub-Mariner and can compare their early versions with their later Marvel incarnations.

Captain America is extremely popular so you might prefer one of those. Personally, I always liked the oddball Timelys like Daring, Mystic and USA and prefered going after those. All Winners gives you all 3 stars (plus my fave - The Destroyer in some issues). It's so hard to pick just one! crazy.gif

allwinners3.jpg

Thanks for your input, Ghoulaid; I'll see if I can get a good deal on an early Marvel Mystery and Captain America and check them out.

If I were to point to a single GA Disney comic to get someone excited about these, it would have be to a nice reading copy of Four Color 62.

----

(Recycling old post):

Thanks for posting that #28 Odin - never get tired of those first few obscure

stories. Must be amazing browsing through the original...

Edited by hkp

I picked this one up at the local Sac Con in the beginning of September. The result of the world's shortest haggling session:

(The book is graded and priced at Fine.)

Me: I like this book but I'm not willing to pay anything over the VG price.

Dealer: OK.

I actually got the book for $2 under the VG price. What service! He had another nice Planet Comics and a very nice Exciting Comics, both of which were over my price range for that show. I'm hoping he has one or both for the next one. I'd definitely buy from him again.

Planet57vg.jpg