• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,445 posts in this topic

What was waiting for me when I got home in today's mail!

I'm jealous of all your MLJ books!

This book is one of my favorites to look at, and was one of my last gold/silver additions to my collection years ago:

SuperComics.jpg

Why, that's the Canadian version of THIS book:

pep43.jpg

During World War II American comics, pulps and other non-essential products from non-sterling countries were banned for various economic reasons and then during the last few months of the war and on and off for a period of years after the war the importation of the comics was still not allowed-this also applied to such magazines as "Time" which is why a Canadian edition of this magazine and "Reader's Digest" came into being-so companies that used to publish Canadian comics (called Canadian Whites because they were mostly black and white) began importing printing plates from the U.S. and printing the comics up here for the Canadian market. This didn't just apply to Archie but to other comics as well including a variety of DC titles (I've got a copy of Star Spangled Comics and Mutt and Jeff, both DC titles that were printed up here). These comics weren't published in any particular order either nor were they often exactly the same.

I don't know if their were any Archies published before the American material was packaged but if there was then what happened in that case was the Canadian publisher would buy an American -script for an Archie story and then have a Canadian artist do the artwork. Anglo-American Publishing had such an agreement with Fawcett. At times this lead to some rather interesting Canadian quirks such as Minute Man having a Union Jack emblazened across his chest. (Written by Jon Gilbert, a gentleman who frequents my website)

Ok guys, you have been asking me to show off a few books from my collection, so I will be listing some over the next week. Due to the download limitations of the website I'm not sure how good these will look, but I'll do my best with these attachments!

First off is the CLASSIC Batman/Castle cover on DETECTIVE COMICS #31. My copy is an 8.5 with Off-white to White Pages!

Timely

277708-det31.jpg.767250e9df2af282c7f5acca92623506.jpg

Ok guys, the rest of the books I will "show off" are Timely's, naturally! Here is arguably the best Schomburg-war cover of all, certainly one of my top 5, All Select Comics #1. Mine is an 8.5

Timely.

277711-Allselect1.jpg.de3ed781cf3f95053a8ad2859aeb7ee5.jpg

Next on my list of favorites is Captain america #17. The reason I like this one is because it is one of the few Cap's that does not have a red logo area, this one is black, kinda goes with the guelish creatures on the cover. My copy is a 9.2

Timely

277715-CA17.jpg.b625dfac701d433537db4a5f9eed3706.jpg

This is Captain America #62, watch out Wonder Woman, these Amazon chicks mean business. I still do not understand why Bucky seems so sad here!?!? This also qualifies as a "Skull" cover, can you find the skull on the front cover??? This is my CGC 9.2 copy here.

277720-CA62.jpg.3188f1179fd77bf0d4b4aaeb9c30b3bb.jpg

Last Cap I'll show today, and it's another classic. CA #37 has everything gong for it, classic Schomburg-war cover, Flag cover and has a Red Skull story. This is CGC graded 8.0 but the colors and ink reflectivity are pedigree quality!

Timely.

277724-CA37.jpg.e3fc6a3254835f99bc76fba39fed08b5.jpg