• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,386 posts in this topic

Woot! Woot! :whee:

nat1.372a.jpg

Congrats Jeff! That's a beaut!

Thanks! I threw in a bid at noon and it just barely held! :banana:

So cool. If you ever get tired of it please give me a shout.

Woot! Woot! :whee:

nat1.372a.jpg

Congrats Jeff! That's a beaut!

Thanks! I threw in a bid at noon and it just barely held! :banana:

So cool. If you ever get tired of it please give me a shout.

I doubt he'll hear you, but I'll definitely respond to a PM. :D

Sprang did some interior art. I believe he drew "The a Goat of Gotham City" story inside.

I've seen a high grade CGC copy before with George Roussos getting the cover credit on #108. I think George also did the Air Wave story inside.

I think that's right: Roussos with the cover and Sprang with interior art on 108.

Sprang did some interior art. I believe he drew "The a Goat of Gotham City" story inside.

I've seen a high grade CGC copy before with George Roussos getting the cover credit on #108. I think George also did the Air Wave story inside.

I think that's right: Roussos with the cover and Sprang with interior art on 108.

You are right. Roussos typically gets cover credit for #108, but interestingly the image of the Batplane over the Bat Signal and the image of Batman & Robin standing next to each other both appear in separate panels in the D ick Sprang story inside.

Is there a list somewhere of Sprang file copies? And when did they hit the market? hm

The color and gloss on those two books are really nice. (thumbs u

Ike Wilson represented Mr. Sprang during his final years, arranging art commissions and marketing some of his possessions, including the copies of books he kept in his big file cabinet in Arizona. I guess they were all originally sold during the 90's.

I acquired a total of 5 Sprang file copies from a local Oklahoma person earlier this year. All came with Certificates of Authenticity, but for peace of mind, I took them to Ike Wilson's table at OAFCon October 25, and he said, "Yes, those were D ick Sprang's books."

Ike has some great stuff displayed at http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=48725 including a tracing Mr. Sprang kept on hand of his original design of the Riddler.

You are right. Roussos typically gets cover credit for #108, but interestingly the image of the Batplane over the Bat Signal and the image of Batman & Robin standing next to each other both appear in separate panels in the Sprang story inside.

Good catch. You know, I think there was more collaboration -- and pasting in swipes or tracings -- than we sometimes think when we cleanly attribute covers or interior art to a single artist. I've seen interviews with artists who say things like "I did the backgrounds on many of the covers in this or that run."

For instance, I think Raboy needed a lot of help to make his deadlines at Fawcett.

Ike Wilson told me that DC would often share with Sprang what the cover was going to look like, asking him to incorporate the scene in his story.

OK, italian "Golden Age", but one of the few, very rare, Superman apocryphal stories produced here before/during the war.

Found today, and I am all stoked! :whee:

wIlsNqPh.jpg

Another title from the same series, which intrigued me. Both are black and white and magazine sized.

tSPutbch.jpg

OK, italian "Golden Age", but one of the few, very rare, Superman apocryphal stories produced here before/during the war.

wIlsNqPh.jpg

Another title from the same series, which intrigued me. Both are black and white and magazine sized.

tSPutbch.jpg

Couldnt be found by a nicer guy!I am stoked for you as well,so fine!And such great shape!

WOW!So Claudio,how many of these do you estimate may exist,just to put a level of rarity on them?Again,congrats to you..so very happy to see!

Jimmers

wIlsNqPh.jpg

Wonderful! I love this cover. One of the local comic con finds I assume?