• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

OK, italian "Golden Age", but one of the few, very rare, Superman apocryphal stories produced here before/during the war.

Found today, and I am all stoked! :whee:

wIlsNqPh.jpg

Wonderful! I love this cover. One of the local comic con finds I assume?

Yes, and by mere chance! To reply Jimmers (thanks!), I really can’t tell how many copies of these still exist. Probably some in collections (of this series in full), but since the first two are not part of this series, they are probably even more scarce.

They should be four or five in all, here’s an article from the Metropolis site (some things are inaccurate, i.e. no "fascist" publications existed, except very few, the publishers were just subjected to degrees of "censorship" during the war years):

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_feature.php?article_id=223&type=feature&action=view

And my meagre offering...Im very pleased with it.

ea6d98dd-920c-4986-a559-97a8f9825722_zps81b32285.jpg

4180d35f-e05e-4167-b48c-19ba5e3c4f16_zps7ff3c3f6.jpg

Just so you know, Jimmers: believe it or not, but while 99% of the Fawcett characters were never published in Italy, we have many late 1940s issues featuring Hoppy the Marvel bunny! lol

These More Fun are just breathtaking, Bedrock! I would deslab them immediately… :D

Hoppy seems better drawn, that’s why I said possibly the Timely Bunny is an imitation?

Anyway, in italian the Fawcett bunny Hoppy is called "Pippo", like Walt Disney’s Goofy, and like another important italian character.

"Pippo" is the diminutive for "Giuseppe" (Joseph), and sounds just like a funny name in our language. :D

Hoppy seems better drawn, that’s why I said possibly the Timely Bunny is an imitation?

Anyway, in italian the Fawcett bunny Hoppy is called "Pippo", like Walt Disney’s Goofy, and like another important italian character.

"Pippo" is the diminutive for "Giuseppe" (Joseph), and sounds just like a funny name in our language. :D

Anyone relation to the Pippa comics I have then?

15794033549_e96dcd64b7_c.jpg

Wheaties giveaways are usually a beat up good. In many cases they are just poor and some guy named Joe seemed to sign the Hawkman story in the Flash giveaway..

15794033389_25d48b0a95_c.jpg

Super awesome! I just love promotional comics...and these are the greatest!Sweet...except that Joe guy scribbling inside.... ^^

Always admire your books,cool.stuff lives in your collection.Is there a story behind these?