• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

My appreciation for pre-Action 1 books continues to grow. Artifacts from a truly different time.

lf_zps8cec0a76.jpeg

Very white for a 79 year old comic! I like pre-Superman books and have a few in my collection for historical significance. Famous Funnies 4 or 5 is probably the oldest. Trouble is, for the most part, they are un-readable to me (with exceptions). I also include (gasp!) pre-Supe DC's in that. Other than the covers and "look" they kinda bore me. I sold off a lot of that stuff a few years ago becuase other stuff interested me more. I will say, I do like King Comics because they have a lot of readable strips.

My appreciation for pre-Action 1 books continues to grow. Artifacts from a truly different time.

lf_zps8cec0a76.jpeg

Very white for a 79 year old comic! I like pre-Superman books and have a few in my collection for historical significance. Famous Funnies 4 or 5 is probably the oldest. Trouble is, for the most part, they are un-readable to me (with exceptions). I also include (gasp!) pre-Supe DC's in that. Other than the covers and "look" they kinda bore me. I sold off a lot of that stuff a few years ago becuase other stuff interested me more. I will say, I do like King Comics because they have a lot of readable strips.

I know what you mean about the contents. Even many of the 1940s superhero books are tough to get through, although some are great, of course. I have a few of these early Famous Funnies and it's really their historical aspect that attracts me to them.

A modern advertising person would probably have a coronary over this text-heavy Daisy rifle ad from the back cover. :D

lf_zpsf7abe727.jpeg

That's the truth! Wayyyy too much ad copy. If you want to reach kids now, you do it with a few bold headlines and lots of big photos.

Mel, I have to admit that as an 8 to 10 year old (many long years ago :D ) I might have found that wall of text pretty daunting.

Makes me wonder if it wasn't written for another purpose and used in this ad just because it was available.

lf_zps8cec0a76.jpeg

I know what you mean about the contents. Even many of the 1940s superhero books are tough to get through, although some are great, of course. I have a few of these early Famous Funnies and it's really their historical aspect that attracts me to them.

I'm with you brother. I really love them for their significance and for the charm they exude. It was the industry's fledgling attempts at creating a pop culture phenomenon.

I've been thinking of starting a thread where we can share our pre-hero comics. I toyed with the idea of calling the thread "Bring out your dead!" because the perception is that they are a dead area of our hobby. But, I get competition when buying them, so the peanut gallery may be wrong about their demise. But I do like the title, as I am a Monty Python fan

lf_zps8cec0a76.jpeg

I'm with you brother. I really love them for their significance and for the charm they exude. It was the industry's fledgling attempts at creating a pop culture phenomenon.

I've been thinking of starting a thread where we can share our pre-hero comics. I toyed with the idea of calling the thread "Bring out your dead!" because the perception is that they are a dead area of our hobby. But, I get competition when buying them, so the peanut gallery may be wrong about their demise. But I do like the title, as I am a Monty Python fan

That would be a great thread. I would love to see them. (thumbs u

lf_zps8cec0a76.jpeg

I don't think anyone here said they were dead, only that they were boring.

lf_zps8cec0a76.jpeg

I don't think anyone here said they were dead, only that they were boring.

Agreed, they didn't say it in this thread, but I've heard and read obituaries for the genre for quite some time. Yet, my wallet gets lighter every month buying them. hm

Some are boring, but so are many of the superhero stories just a few years later. However, some are fantastic in my opinion

I've heard and read obituaries for the genre for quite some time. Yet, my wallet gets lighter every month buying them. hm

Some are boring, but so are many of the superhero stories just a few years later. However, some are fantastic in my opinion

The genre of "pre-hero" really covers a lot of ground and I don't think I have ever heard anyone say it was dead, or even dying. Pre-hero DC? Always a fan base for them. Early Centaur? Always a fan base for them. Reprints? Well now here we might have to say that the demand waxes and wanes. I do sell a few from time to time, mostly the very early ones like you mention, but in general it is one of my weakest selling categories. I probably sell more westerns than I do reprints.