• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,408 posts in this topic

Wow, great stuff.

What are the indicia titles of D ick Tracy, Famous Feature Stories and the earlier posted Charlie McCarthy? I'd like to add the covers to GCD if you don't mind, but I can't figure out where they belong. Maybe they're there under another title.

Thanks,

Jack

the tracy (it is putting 'spoon', so we should call him "Richard Tracy') has 'No. 4' on the cover published by Dell copyright 1937,1938 by the Chicago Tribune Large Feature Comics reprints tracy strips. I have a #11 also.

D ick works too.

It's in the GCD under Large Feature but the index is totally buggered up. I wish I could see your copy to fix it.

Famous Feature Stories one issue Dell Publishing copyright Western Printing & Lithographing

co.

Has some illios but reprints written stories " Tracy', Don Winslow etc.

Aha, text stories. Not a comic book according to GCD. (You've got to draw the line somewhere.)

Thanks!

Jack

hope this does the trick for you....do you want the indicia from #11?

...and rare for a larson, there is a date on the cover of "August 16"....you can update your "?"

Thanks! I think there's enough info there to do a little fixing.

Is the page count right? Total of 76 with 71 story pages? (plus 4 cover pages and what's the other page?)

Is the Aug 16 date printed or handwritten?

#11 index is in better shape than #4. Is there any indication in the book of the original dates of the reprinted strips? Hey, #11 is the one I have a nice Chicago Tribune Very Limited Edition Reprint of. Mad Doc Hump with the nitroglycerine recipe in it. I don't think I need anything from the indicia, but thanks for the offer.

Jack

A fairly common book but I still love the cover. I wanted to get a higher graded copy but the folks on Ebay were just asking moon money for the books so I just bid outright on this one and won it cheap. This belongs in the thread about books that look nicer than their grades (thumbs u

Greatcomics1.jpg

Greatcomics1rev.jpg

Edited by kryptonitecomics

A fairly common book but I still love the cover. I wanted to get a higher graded copy but the folks on Ebay were just asking moon money for the books so I just bid outright on this one and won it cheap. This belongs in the thread about books that look nicer than their grades (thumbs u

Greatcomics1.jpg

Greatcomics1rev.jpg

That is a beautiful 5.5. Awesome pickup.

Buy those all day at that price.

I haven't tried to verify it yet, but I would imagine this is likely the FIRST cover featuring a LAWYER!!! Or at least one who admits to it! lol

FC13.jpg

7.0? what's responsible for the downgrade, mark? the book looks nearly flawless. is that a light crease, top right, and one at bottom right? still seems better.

I haven't tried to verify it yet, but I would imagine this is likely the FIRST cover featuring a LAWYER!!! Or at least one who admits to it! lol

FC13.jpg

7.0? what's responsible for the downgrade, mark? the book looks nearly flawless. is that a light crease, top right, and one at bottom right? still seems better.

Very good question. You did identify two creases, and there is a slight crease at the middle bottom. Beyond that, I see absolutely nothing. The staples look possibly "sunken" so perhaps they are starting to separate from the cover, but one of the better looking 7.0s to be sure. (thumbs u

And the fact that it is a lawyer on the cover has to at least double or triple the value!!!! :luhv:

HelloPal3.jpg

NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't throw it there mark, i'll hit it out the park every time.

denver.jpg

and that is the worst issue of the worst comic of the Golden Age :censored:

HelloPal3.jpg

NOW WE'RE TALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can't throw it there mark, i'll hit it out the park every time.

denver.jpg

and that is the worst issue of the worst comic of the Golden Age :censored:

Do you really hate them, or just the covers?

#3 is indexed at GCD -- Cazeneuve, Glanzman, Krigstein... not hard to imagine worse.

Jack

Do coverless copies fetch a premium?

y'all aren't going to be heading over to the holiday wishes thread very much anymore. gator posted the whole damn night before christmas yesterday. i'm so proud of my reply, i'm pasting it here, too.

'twas the day after christmas,

and gator grew bored,

he wondered and wondered,

why're my books all restored?

some color touch here,

and trimming seen there,

"now i see what they mean,

about buyer beware".

cracked out some high-grade,

then pressed and resubbed,

6.5 and now purple,

CGC so redubbed.

a box sent to mattie,

for some resto removal,

once more all went purple;

'neath the grader's approval.

"from now on for me only

original owner collections,"

still they went purple,

after the grader's inspection.

"i hate cgc,"

said the gator frustrated,

one more came back purple,

"the cover's been mated."

"i'll switch over to coins,"

said the gator with hope,

but those, too, have work,

you big stoopid dope.

so as gator sits,

waiting for the last batch,

that'll leave him with nothing,

but his poor head to scratch.

makes a wish for the new year,

and prays it comes true,

that when he makes a purchase,

no more purple, but all BLUE.

lol (a classic Billy, well done) lol!

Do you really hate them, or just the covers?

#3 is indexed at GCD -- Cazeneuve, Glanzman, Krigstein... not hard to imagine worse.

Jack

Do coverless copies fetch a premium?

I cannot tell a lie...the covers alone have so turned me off, that I have admittedly NEVER given the content a chance... you just kind of shake your head and wonder outloud "what is the point"

y'all aren't going to be heading over to the holiday wishes thread very much anymore. gator posted the whole damn night before christmas yesterday. i'm so proud of my reply, i'm pasting it here, too.

'twas the day after christmas,

and gator grew bored,

he wondered and wondered,

why're my books all restored?

some color touch here,

and trimming seen there,

"now i see what they mean,

about buyer beware".

cracked out some high-grade,

then pressed and resubbed,

6.5 and now purple,

CGC so redubbed.

a box sent to mattie,

for some resto removal,

once more all went purple;

'neath the grader's approval.

"from now on for me only

original owner collections,"

still they went purple,

after the grader's inspection.

"i hate cgc,"

said the gator frustrated,

one more came back purple,

"the cover's been mated."

"i'll switch over to coins,"

said the gator with hope,

but those, too, have work,

you big stoopid dope.

so as gator sits,

waiting for the last batch,

that'll leave him with nothing,

but his poor head to scratch.

makes a wish for the new year,

and prays it comes true,

that when he makes a purchase,

no more purple, but all BLUE.

lol (a classic Billy, well done) lol!

way toooo much time on his hands lol

I keep looking at it, and can't seem to find anything that would keep it from a VF grade. (shrug)