• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,446 posts in this topic

Shiver,

Thanks for the panel. Just out of curiosity, what is iyo the

3 goriest pre-code stories ever published (POV, I'd be curious

to hear your answer as well)?

----

Edit: On second thought, let's keep this particular thread sacred.

Below is another picture instead.

Edited by hkp

Finnish version of WDC&S 108

Man, Arty. Talk about esoteric! grin.gif

What is the deal with Finnish copies of these books? Were they printed in Finland? Did they span a lot of the issues? Have you compared a Finnish copy with an American copy to see if the contents are the same?

Fascinating!

One of my most satisfying aquisitions of the year.... 893applaud-thumb.gif...complete with near-white pages...

Pic is through the bag but as many people know it is far and few between that you can find one of these pulps in such spectacular condition...

Fantastic Novels Vol. 1 #1 1940

fn1.jpg

The colors on that "Fantastic Novels" are awesome - great cover too!

---

Arty (Re: Finnish edition WDCS):

I am currently bidding on this very rare 1948 Danish edition that

came out a year before the first issue of our local "Donald Duck"

(started in 1949 and has been running continuously ever since).

Do you know if there were similiar editions in Finland and the

other Scandinavian countries?

http://myyahoo.qxl.dk/accdb/viewItem.asp?IDI=9146240&ListingType=0&ListingSort=1

Finnish version of WDC&S 108

Man, Arty. Talk about esoteric! grin.gif

What is the deal with Finnish copies of these books? Were they printed in Finland? Did they span a lot of the issues? Have you compared a Finnish copy with an American copy to see if the contents are the same?

Fascinating!

Actually it was a bit misleading to say it's a Finnish version of WDC&S 108 as only cover is from that issue. These comics weren't printed at the same time with US comics like Canadian editions were?

Disney comics started much later in Nordic countries (Finland-1951, Denmark-1949, Sweden-1948, Norway-1948) so generally contents are different.

There are exeptions like Four Color "One shots" which featured book lenght stories. Nordic editions had same covers and contents as their US-counterparts. (but still weren't published simultaneously with US-comics)

Material for these books came from publisher in Denmark, as a company there had copyrights for publishing Disney comics in Scandinavia.

I believe all countries printed their own books, including Finland .

Usually page quality in these Scandinavian editions is far superior compared to US comics.

-"Did they span a lot of the issues?" ...well full run of Finnish Aku Ankka=Donald Duck comics is 2500+ issues. shocked.gif

It's still going strong with a print run of 273,000!!!! (yep... you read it right, stats are from year 2001)

Btw there are about 6 million people in Finland...

Since 1961 there has been 52 issuer per year. Material for these books were compiled from four titles WDC&S, Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse, so that explains how it's possible to publish it weekly.

Besides US comics I'm still trying to collect a full run of Finnish Donald Duck issues between 1951-1962.

hey Pov...if you really wan't to have some info on these Finnish comics they have been fully indexed and that data is available here grin.giftongue.gif

For example here's info on that particular issue AA7A-1953 with crosslinks to original US-publications. ooo.gif

wow...that was a long post about foreign comics, I wonder did anyone really read this to the end 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Arty (Re: Finnish edition WDCS):

I am currently bidding on this very rare 1948 Danish edition that

came out a year before the first issue of our local "Donald Duck"

(started in 1949 and has been running continuously ever since).

Do you know if there were similiar editions in Finland and the

other Scandinavian countries?

http://myyahoo.qxl.dk/accdb/viewItem.asp?IDI=9146240&ListingType=0&ListingSort=1

I don't know about other Scandinavian countries, but at least in Finland there weren't similar editions.

Just bought this today!

This is the very first MLJ comic ever produced! From November 1939. Dealer graded this a Good/Very good. I got a nice deal on it, and I couldn't resist. Anyway, these first issues always are expensive! I'm very glad to have gotten this one out of the way! The coolest thing about it is some pages are black and white only, while others are black, white, and magenta (red), and still others are full color...! cloud9.gif

blueribbon01.jpg

"rang-a-tang" that name always bounces around in my mind, i don't know why, it just does. confused-smiley-013.gif

nice book! I love odd interior colors, i used to have a crazy book called "The secret voice" and some pages were just green & yellow, some red, it was all over the place!

hey do you think you could inline post my post wonder bread Marvel Mystery? thanks!

i know it should be easy, and i am familiar with html code (my 1st website was all code, no easy program) but for some reason my tags do not work. A board member offered to help & i should have time to talk to him about it tonight. Its a mystery....... Thanks for the help shield!

Just cut/paste the location of the image into your post using the "Image" link in the "Instant UBB Code" menu (which can be found just below the box where you type your message in, to the right of the gremlin selections) when you reply/post a message.