• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,304 posts in this topic

Idea:

The grids are smaller, no worries of denting boxes on bottom. 100 pounds per shelf, that would put 4 across on the short boxes with no problem. 5 shelvesx4 per shelf=20 longs=3000 books. Not bad. Question remains, leaching of oil into corrugated from plastic and is my filing cabinet better? Also, do they need to be a grid design to breather better or is shorts on a solid shelf ojau since 5 of the 6 surfaces will be open?

Item:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref...=A1VC38T7YXB528

If I could make a suggestion? It would be to get these:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=71473-80752-184874B&lpage=none

I have the chrome ones. It was mentioned above however, that the black epoxy have less off gasing! I dunno about worrying about that, but who knows?

Holds 350lbs/shelf+. 5 shelves fit 5 shorts across. That's 25 shorts per unit. The boxes fit perfectly on the shelves! There will be no need to worry about "sagging".

Just a thought...

John thumbsup2.gif

However, with the wire shelf, you run the risk of the wires denting your box and subsequently the books.

Any thoughts?

For the wire issue: What I did was bought a wood panel (for walls) Had it cut at the store to fit the units. The boxes slide in and out with ease! You can even get different styles to match your furniture wink.gif

John confused-smiley-013.gif

However, with the wire shelf, you run the risk of the wires denting your box and subsequently the books.

Any thoughts?

For the wire issue: What I did was bought a wood panel (for walls) Had it cut at the store to fit the units. The boxes slide in and out with ease! You can even get different styles to match your furniture wink.gif

I gotcha. Great idea. I am thinking of switching from filing cabinets as they are just not working for me anymore. I will sell locally.

Any thoughts?

I gotcha. Great idea. I am thinking of switching from filing cabinets as they are just not working for me anymore. I will sell locally.

See first post of this thread...

I am MORE than happy with the results. I even have plans for using this method at the storage units. I have the 'ol box on box method there and it is a huge pain in the !

The cost of the panel was around $15 and they cut it for free.. can't go wrong! I used to have my desk in my comic room, it's maple, so I got the matching maple panels. I guess i am fussy like that!

John insane.gif

Hey Johnny G:

I want to do your configuration, but I will need to store the CGC boxes...not the comic short boxes. I'm assuming the product you listed above has adjustable shelves? If so, what would be my storage capacity?

Hey Johnny G:

I want to do your configuration, but I will need to store the CGC boxes...not the comic short boxes. I'm assuming the product you listed above has adjustable shelves? If so, what would be my storage capacity?

Hey Sterling... yes, the shelves are adjustable. However, you'll only be able to fit 4 across. So you'd be able to get 20 boxes on the unit.

If you have a Costco near you, go there. They have similar shelving, but they come with 6 shelves instead of 5. They also have a little "lip" on the back as well as wheels if you choose to put them on.

Also, the main height rods are in pairs. So, if you'd like to "stash" some books in say a closet. You could go with half the height and double the width. good for under windows (wouldn't recommend though) or anywhere else height is an issue.

Hope this helps,...

John thumbsup2.gif

Yes it does Thanks. If you happen have to have an online link to the SKU for Costco that would be great.

I wasn't able to find the one on-line. I have seen it in store though. They did have this one though...

COSTCO shelving

It is 60" wide, so you may be able to fit 5 across... not 100% on that though.

Yes, at 60 it may be tight, but possible.

I'm buying my supplies on BCW tonight and the shelves tomorrow. I will take it slow, one box at a time, catalog each issue as it needs to be done, swap oy heinous bags. I will rebag all over the winter one box at a time.

So, a slow summerlong project, which I am cool with as I am unpacking the basement as we just moved in.

Now, for the books (DC Showcase Presents( and others, I am thinking of this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=...asin=B000079FW4

Thoughts again?

Edited by Ringfinger

Yes it does Thanks. If you happen have to have an online link to the SKU for Costco that would be great.

I wasn't able to find the one on-line. I have seen it in store though. They did have this one though...

COSTCO shelving

It is 60" wide, so you may be able to fit 5 across... not 100% on that though.

Thanks again! I need to get my space back!!

Yes, at 60 it may be tight, but possible.

I'm buying my supplies on BCW tonight and the shelves tomorrow. I will take it slow, one box at a time, catalog each issue as it needs to be done, swap oy heinous bags. I will rebag all over the winter one box at a time.

So, a slow summerlong project, which I am cool with as I am unpacking the basement as we just moved in.

Now, for the books (DC Showcase Presents( and others, I am thinking of this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=...asin=B000079FW4

Thoughts again?

Bookcase looks nice!

With regards to taking it slow; I hear ya! I have started to catalogue everything in my ComicBase program. It will take the better part of a year, but it will be done! I just finished one collection of books I had purchased. They were all cared for nicely, so there was no need to change the bags. cloud9.gif I signed up as a wholesaler with a local supplier of bags/boards here in town, so my supoplies are cheap! They also carry the drawer style boxes (for closets) which can come in handy for the "hidden" stuff.

I gotta say; I was away from this hobby for 10+ years... I couldn't be happier to be back!

Keep us posted on your set-up.

John hi.gif

Got the shelves on lunch. Had them cut the inlays 44.75x15.25. They would not fit around the collar if not unless I cut wafers out, no desire to do that. I will hopefully see how they fit tonight.