• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Actually, I meant this photo! ComicsTable1.jpg

*spoon*. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

You win. We all can go home now.

What Fiction Houses are in that pile? Holy *spoon* that's impressive. And they're all from the DC area?

Just for the record, I agree with much of the above.

I wish that kind of talk had never started. It seems that when collectors mention pedigree today, it's a quick jump to talking about money.

In theory, I like the idea of comic pedigrees, unfortunately in practice it becomes a little less fun for me. Probably 95% of my collection was purchased from original owners. The 'pedigrees' in my collection are not known by fandom, they're only known by me. When I look at most of my comics, I can spot the Kolmorgan, Foote, Starr, Clarke, and Gilchrist issues immediately. It makes the collecting a little more special.

Having said all of that, I do understand why there is so much ruckus about prices and potential appreciation. Collectors today spend so much money on their hobby, they'd be foolish not to give some thought to possible downsides in their investments.

Almost all my buys were 30-40 years ago. I think the most I ever paid for a single issue was $55 for Superman #1. It was purchased from a dealer who advertised it in the old fanzine, The Rocket's Blast. The market must have been slow back then because he gave me (13 years at the time) 30 days to raise the money.

Things have sure changed.

Bang, ever sinceou got here you havent hit one wrong note! I love this post. A pure fan and collector with his eyes wide open.

Actually, I meant this photo! ComicsTable1.jpg

I wonder if this could be the most tantalizing and beautiful sight

anyone in the hobby, except you and a certain gentleman from Boulder,

has seen since ABBA ruled the charts and the Carter administration

still was going strong?

That picture is so far off the charts there are no words to describe it.

killer display. but Bang, its time to get you some mylars and acid free backing boards dude!

Nahhhh.

After 30-40 years, I'd say he's got a pretty good idea of how to keep and store his books.

Stacked up and in the dark - look at those piles behind the table.

Wish he had moved that More Fun #73 over to ontop of the Jumbo though.

BZ, what is the earliest book in the collection? I notice it includes a Jumbo 8, which is from June/July 1939.

Well he mentioned a Detective #11 which would be the January 38 issue, and the Action #8 in this photo predates the Jumbo. Plus who knows what else...

Why would low grade prices drop? And if he's enjoyed them for 30 years, why in the world would you think he's going to be selling any of them in "the next year or so"?

I hope he gets to enjoy them for another 30 years if he wants.

BZ, what is the earliest book in the collection? I notice it includes a Jumbo 8, which is from June/July 1939.

Offhand, I know I have a March 1937, Western Picture Stories.

I hope you keep all of these books and NOT put them on the market. Hand them down to your children / grandchildren. Keep them all together! thumbsup2.gif

3. Will you dump some lower grade GA knowning that you have an opportunity a year or so from now to buy a better condition copy or an upgrade from Bang?

If I were you (or anyone else), I wouldn't be planning what to buy based on what you think I will be doing in the future. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

ComicsTable1.jpg

hail.gif This is the first time a post made me cuss out loud and I never use bad language!

How often do you read your books? Everyone talks about pedigrees and this and that but the kick of reading such nice copies would be headbang.gif

popcorn.gif

ComicsTable1.jpg

hail.gif This is the first time a post made me cuss out loud and I never use bad language!

How often do you read your books? Everyone talks about pedigrees and this and that but the kick of reading such nice copies would be headbang.gif

popcorn.gif

I read those that looked interesting when I purchased them. Now I usually just use them for reference when I get interested in a artist or someone mentions a particular issue because of something special.