• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Very cool promo Bang.

Of coruse the image on it was later used as the pin-up for the back cover of Superman #1

(which you'll be posting soon, right thumbsup2.gif )

Actually there are some minor differences. It looks like it was redrawn. Also, the insignia was colored differently

Superman1BackCoverGA.jpg .

Bangzoom,

FYI - your scanner is still cropping your books. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

bangzoom,

Thank u for being so generous in sharing your outstanding collection.

I would like to know if u also branched out into collecting original comic book or comic strip artwork (e.g. Alex Raymond Flash Gordon, Burne Hogarth Tarzan, Hal Foster Prince Valiant, Wally Wood EC, or undergound comix art, Disney animation cels with original painted backgrounds)? hail.gif

Speaking of which, is this a paratrooper cover?

KeenDetectiveV26GA.jpg

Either that or his magic harness of levitation.

Which I doubt.

27_laughing.gif You are such a Dungeons & Dragons nerd. poke2.gif

Besides, everyone knows that is just the strap for the backpack he's using to hold his iron rations, wine skin, tinderbox, 40 GP, 20 EP, and a 400 GP gem. yay.gif

If I were king of the world, this collection would get a book of its own. Imagine, a completely virgin GA collection of 1000 books, including some keys. How about a 1000 page coffee table book, with a full-size scan of each book? I'd buy it.

I'd buy it too.....again.....sweet books.....what a great find in it's day or any day.

I'm waiting to see the esoteric few that aren't hyper keys.... thumbsup2.gif

I noticed that no one asked about Superman #1. Is he passé? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was going to ask about that and Batman #1 (especially considering the common theory of the later the books are, the better the condition). But I'll refrain from More Fun #52 - that's been done to death.

I'm kinda surprised no Timely guys are going nuts over a possible Marvel #1 or Cap #1.

"Jeez, Bangboom...You got half the boards or more scuttling around like crack whores looking for our next fix. Come on baby make us right, give us the good stuff, we need it paleeeease! Just a little taste of the early Tec's, maybe a Timely or two, I just need a little, I got ta get right man."

Timely Geek present and accounted for! I posted that two or three days ago!

BangZoom, just incredible books, I emplore you to keep sharing, I like pretty covers, and this it why I love these boards. Right now you are the "Michael Jordon" of these here boards. I say you have fun and share your awsome books, and I will have fun looking at them. And by the way,

Thank you!!!!!! hail.gifhail.giflaugh.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Know I have arrived, I finally got one of these sign-funnypost.gif from Bill. Its my understanding, that it means you are a real member in this geeky little club I seam to be obsessed with. 27_laughing.gif

NewsstandSupermanGA.jpg

I want to bring its focus back in line with my original idea. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Here's a VERY early Superman promo item. I think it was meant to be used at newsstands, but I'm not certain.

Note that it states that Superman, "Appears Only in ACTION COMICS" which would date this piece to sometime before Superman #1 was published.

It still has remnants of glue on the back side.

The 1st time this image of Superman was used was on Action Comics #12 in May of 1939 which pre-dates Superman #1 by a few months.

West

My own take on releasing pics or not is that it really doesn't matter. tb mentioned the "freshness to market" issue. It is true that some books that are repeatedly offered for sale on all the auction sites etc may seem stale and get somewhat depressed prices that way. But this is really not that issue at all. Your books have never been offered anywhere(!!) and releasing pics in my opinion is only going to whet appetites, like ciorac said, for when/if there is a sale. In my opinion, this is really a non-issue in your case and just applies when someone is trying to sell the same book over and over again, which is clearly NOT the case here! If the Mile Highs had never been found, and someone released the pics of the mile high collection tomorrow, does anyone really think that the Mile Highs wouldn't get amazing prices at their inaugural sales because the image release of all those mint books had somehow made them "stale"? Give me a 893censored-thumb.gifing break. screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gifPeople would instead be setting aside every dollar for the day those books went on sale. IMO, same thing albeit on a smaller scale here. thumbsup2.gif I think tb was looking out for you, which is cool smile.gif but I totally disagree in this case. To look at it another way, even if every single scan was released there would still be plenty of questions to keep people interested upon eventual sale. (Does cgc agree they are unrestored? What will the Action 13 grade out at?? Is that the nicest AA16 graded so far? etc. etc. etc. I guarantee you once the books were sent in to cgc, you'd have "round 2" of collector buzz. You'd have folks comparing the page quality and numerical grades to other known pedigrees to see how the collection compares to other pedigrees, etc etc. The fact is that a front and/or back cover scan really doesn't tell a purchaser everything they want to know, and moreover in my opinion the freshness to market issue is only an issue if the books are in the market(!) which they aren't and have never been!!).

Do agree with all those recommending cataloging the collection. I don't think there's any question the collection is worth at least the 1m suggested with adventure 40, AA 16, tec 27, supes 1, and 996 other unrestored GA books!

hehe.... You said whet... hehe

27_laughing.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Edited by whet

Is that all writers were paid in 1940?

PaymentToArtistsDec1940GA.jpg

Great memorabilia. I have one from 1939 initialed by Vin Sullivan. Makes all this stuff come alive. jon

Are the first two lines crediting Siegel with work on a Spectre strip? I recognize the other strips listed as being his, but did not know he did work on the Spectre.

actually, those are two different books. the second line clearly reads "Sprectre," which is a title unknown until now, i presume. someone alert Mr. Levine.

oh, and those last three line items appear to be in a different hand than the first seven.

Great books, Bang Zoom! man, i am sad i missed this thread as it was coming out on Sat

Great memorabilia. I have one from 1939 initialed by Vin Sullivan. Makes all this stuff come alive. jon

Are the first two lines crediting Siegel with work on a Spectre strip? I recognize the other strips listed as being his, but did not know he did work on the Spectre.

actually, those are two different books. the second line clearly reads "Sprectre," which is a title unknown until now, i presume. someone alert Mr. Levine.

oh, and those last three line items appear to be in a different hand than the first seven.

Great books, Bang Zoom! man, i am sad i missed this thread as it was coming out on Sat

It was a great thread until tb threw a wet blanket on it. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

It was a great thread until tb threw a wet blanket on it. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

a +5 Wet Blanket no less