• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I noticed that no one asked about Superman #1. Is he passé? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I was going to ask about that and Batman #1 (especially considering the common theory of the later the books are, the better the condition). But I'll refrain from More Fun #52 - that's been done to death.

I'm kinda surprised no Timely guys are going nuts over a possible Marvel #1 or Cap #1.

"Jeez, Bangboom...You got half the boards or more scuttling around like crack whores looking for our next fix. Come on baby make us right, give us the good stuff, we need it paleeeease! Just a little taste of the early Tec's, maybe a Timely or two, I just need a little, I got ta get right man."

Timely Geek present and accounted for! I posted that two or three days ago!

BangZoom, just incredible books, I emplore you to keep sharing, I like pretty covers, and this it why I love these boards. Right now you are the "Michael Jordon" of these here boards. I say you have fun and share your awsome books, and I will have fun looking at them. And by the way,

Thank you!!!!!! hail.gifhail.giflaugh.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

You folks on the Boards know that my only 'agenda' has been to share stuff, because without sharing, much material is often is not seen, and collecting horizons not expanded. (Side note, after 10 years of trying I secured the Larson master list from Joe T. by PAYING for it. After I got it I sent it out to anyone who cared to want it for nothing. It was my 'obsesion' that drove me to find Lamont Larson). Frankly, at my point in collecting, i have climbed about all the mountains that I will climb. Comicus gratia comicus (for you latin speaking guys)

Having said that I am a comicbook hobbyst. I am fascinatied at such stories and finds as this. (Still love the Comstock story) I had asked some questions earlier meant not from any other view than historical context.

Although they are going to press soon, I would hope Matt Nelson or Scott Ritter could jump on this to get into their Pedigree Book.

Do I have an "agenda" here? Yes, I do. Chronicle a part of comicbook history that we seem to see unfolding before our very eyes.

Jon Berk

My questions are a bit more simple:

How many books are there from the collection?

What years do they span?.

Are all comicbook companies of the early 40s represented or just particular ones?

Is there an area that is underrepresented?

Are all books "high grade", or is it variable.

I do not mean to impose on your time, but I am trying to get an objective perspective of your wonderful collection? I thank you in advance for your response.

Jesus H' Christ, you people almost make me disgusted to be a comic collector. Most of your questions are for the prospector not the collector. Can you not enjoy the pictures presented before you without asking "how much is this" "this guy is hyping his books" "there must be an agenda". Look at the freaking books for gods sake. When/If he makes additional statements as to whether the books are for sale, then make your comments as to his agenda/intentions. You are ruining threads like these for all of us by making your assumptions by multiple posts and ruining the original intent of this thread. Hell, I'm even writing this inebriated (sp?). so cut it out people. I like pretty covers, keep em runnin'

Huh? confused-smiley-013.gifscrewy.gif I hope those are the Jack and Cokes talking.

Oh! and don't forget those Fox books also .

I agree! Bangzoom, if you have any concerns about showing key DCs from the collection, play it safe and start posting some of those worthless Fox books. Noooobody wants to see those! wink.gifangel.gif

Although they are going to press soon, I would hope Matt Nelson or Scott Ritter could jump on this to get into their Pedigree Book.

Do I have an "agenda" here? Yes, I do. Chronicle a part of comicbook history that we seem to see unfolding before our very eyes.

Jon Berk

Jon;

My feelings exactly as I know what you mean from a historical comic point of view! thumbsup2.gif

I have already sent an email message to Stephen Ritter about this collection who seems to be the main man on this upcoming Pedigree book. I also feel that a collection such as this should most definitely be included in the book, especially considering there is approximately 1,000 books which is a sizeable collection to be found in this grade. If there is as much in the collection as we suspect from a content point of view, this could be one of the Top 5 GA collections of all time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have not heard back from Stephen yet, but maybe Timely (West) can also answer this question for us since he is also involved with the book. I suspect the answer is this might be a little too late in the game to give it the full write-up unless the book is going to be delayed even further. I believe the book was supposed to be out in time for the Philly convention in June and has now been pushed back to the SD Con in July.

The other reason the book will not be given a full write-up (unless it is an exception) is that none of them has or will be graded. Although the full-write-ups does cover the collection from a historical point of view, there is also an underlying CGC portion with grade comparisons, PQ comparisons, CGC graded total to total collection size, sales multiples to OS, top of CGC census counts, etc, etc.

Certainly hope they can include something in their Pedigree book about this collection as it certainly deserves to be in there based upon what we have seen so far.

Edited by lou_fine

If I were king of the world, this collection would get a book of its own. Imagine, a completely virgin GA collection of 1000 books, including some keys. How about a 1000 page coffee table book, with a full-size scan of each book? I'd buy it.

I hate to say it, but if I were looking to sell such a collection at some

point and wanted to maximize its value I probably would not post any more

scans - at least not of the key books. It is very generous of you to share

the collection with us, bang-z, but you've already generated so much buzz in

the market that your collection will become mythical from now on until

whenever you might decide to sell. By posting such incredible scans you

can be virtually certain that someone will save them and put them in an

online database somewhere (if not publish a book with them). Freshness

to the market is really important to generate excitement for an auction

and I just want to point out that you may be selling yourself short.

Having said that, I really hope that you will continue to share your books

with us. Just wanted to share my honest thoughts with you since you've

owned the books for so many years and are making some important decisions

right now.

tb, I hate to say it, but I nominate this post as " 'Turd in the Punch Bowl' Post of the Year." 27_laughing.gif

flowerred.gif

Jon Berk

Jon;

My feelings exactly as I know what you mean from a historical comic point of view! thumbsup2.gif

I have already sent an email message to Stephen Ritter about this collection who seems to be the main man on this upcoming Pedigree book. I also feel that a collection such as this should most definitely be included in the book, especially considering there is approximately 1,000 books which is a sizeable collection to be found in this grade. If there is as much in the collection as we suspect from a content point of view, this could be one of the Top 5 GA collections of all time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have not heard back from Stephen yet, but maybe Timely (West) can also answer this question for us since he is also involved with the book. I suspect the answer is this might be a little too late in the game to give it the full write-up unless the book is going to be delayed even further. I believe the book was supposed to be out in time for the Philly convention in June and has now been pushed back to the SD Con in July.

The other reason the book will not be given a full write-up (unless it is an exception) is that none of them has or will be graded. Although the full-write-ups does cover the collection from a historical point of view, there is also an underlying CGC portion with grade comparisons, PQ comparisons, CGC graded total to total collection size, sales multiples to OS, top of CGC census counts, etc, etc.

Certainly hope they can include something in their Pedigree book about this collection as it certainly deserves seems to be in there based upon what we have seen so far.

I have had much input with Larson portion. I know the 'objecitve' criteria they are going to present. However, this is not about 'comparisons', it is about "the story" and "the books". The Larsons were 1000 books and no 'tec 27.

Assuming what we seen is just a taste, this collection is already on a par with Allentown books which had numbered about 100-200.

Assuming that the ultimate goal is to tell the tale of "the books", there is nothing wrong about an "addendum or "In closing, just as we thought there were no futher tales to tell....." It may not be able to fit into there overall format, but I do not think anyone will complain.

So Zboom, if you read this Scott, Matt and Wes are doing a project on major pedigree owner collections. I am not one to proclaim pedigrees (arf, arf), but what you have certainly seems to fall within any criteria that have been created. So if they ring you up, hopefully you can help them out.

jon

Comicus gratia comicus (for you latin speaking guys)

Comici gratia comicorum gossip.gif

"Comics for the sake of comics" (for you non-Latin speaking guys)

A sentiment I think many people here share. thumbsup2.gif

Yes i should have used the plural (for you folks i made the word up, but it should be with an "i" like alumnus and alumni) but do you think the accusative form is better than the possessive?

I now think the Boards have been brought to a whole new level as we discuss Latin grammar.

jb

Yes i should have used the plural (for you folks i made the word up, but it should be with an "i" like alumnus and alumni) but do you think the accusative form is better than the possessive?

I now think the Boards have been brought to a whole new level as we discuss Latin grammar.

jb

veni, vidi, vici....

amo, amos, amant (reliving 12th grade latin!)

rick

jb

veni, vidi, vici....

amo, amos, amant (reliving 12th grade latin!)

rick

amo, amas, amat...(Sir! You do NOT know me well enough to be so persumputous! (Amo= I love)

By the way do you think we should use the neuter form as "Comicum"?

okay, okay.....i have run that into the ground

jb

Comicorum is possessive (genitive) plural - looks like accusative because of the "um." For "gratia" to mean "for the sake of" it has to take the genitive.

And actually "comicus" is a real Latin adjective meaning funny or comical. I suppose technically a "comic book" would be a "liber comicus." 893blahblah.gif

Okay, okay! Less Latin grammer - more scans of gorgeous libri comici! stooges.gif

tb, I hate to say it, but I nominate this post as " 'Turd in the Punch Bowl' Post of the Year." 27_laughing.gif

flowerred.gif

grin.gif You've already had more action in this thread than we usually have in

a year. I just think we should give bang-zoom a little time to think and reflect -

he deserves that. This looks like a truely historical find and I hope we

don't scare him away with our impatience.

Jon Berk's questions got lost a bit but they are really important for everyone

who loves comics and pedigrees - much more so than scans right now. I too would

greatly appreciate if you could try to answer these, bang-z?

Btw., FFB, if I were to win the award I would display it proudly beneath my

name in the left column (arch?).

Edited by tb

My own take on releasing pics or not is that it really doesn't matter. tb mentioned the "freshness to market" issue. It is true that some books that are repeatedly offered for sale on all the auction sites etc may seem stale and get somewhat depressed prices that way. But this is really not that issue at all. Your books have never been offered anywhere(!!) and releasing pics in my opinion is only going to whet appetites, like ciorac said, for when/if there is a sale. In my opinion, this is really a non-issue in your case and just applies when someone is trying to sell the same book over and over again, which is clearly NOT the case here! If the Mile Highs had never been found, and someone released the pics of the mile high collection tomorrow, does anyone really think that the Mile Highs wouldn't get amazing prices at their inaugural sales because the image release of all those mint books had somehow made them "stale"? Give me a 893censored-thumb.gifing break. screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gifPeople would instead be setting aside every dollar for the day those books went on sale. IMO, same thing albeit on a smaller scale here. thumbsup2.gif I think tb was looking out for you, which is cool smile.gif but I totally disagree in this case. To look at it another way, even if every single scan was released there would still be plenty of questions to keep people interested upon eventual sale. (Does cgc agree they are unrestored? What will the Action 13 grade out at?? Is that the nicest AA16 graded so far? etc. etc. etc. I guarantee you once the books were sent in to cgc, you'd have "round 2" of collector buzz. You'd have folks comparing the page quality and numerical grades to other known pedigrees to see how the collection compares to other pedigrees, etc etc. The fact is that a front and/or back cover scan really doesn't tell a purchaser everything they want to know, and moreover in my opinion the freshness to market issue is only an issue if the books are in the market(!) which they aren't and have never been!!).

Do agree with all those recommending cataloging the collection. I don't think there's any question the collection is worth at least the 1m suggested with adventure 40, AA 16, tec 27, supes 1, and 996 other unrestored GA books!

Definitely. 1000 books only need to be worth $1000 on average to reach 1m. No question you will hit that kind of average when you have those big keys included! (assuming the collection is from a fairly focussed time period, which it seems to be so far). $1000 a book isn't that much when you're talking unrestored early GA. He mentioned early detectives... need I say more? The detectives alone could be worth 300-400k if all the early batman ones are represented in nice condition.