• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Mr Bannzoom, have you recieved any offers from board members and dealers to buy any of your books? That was suggested by someone, but I find it hard to believe that any board members would try to swoop down on a new poster to try and get his collection. Have you received any high pressure offers from any board members?

hard to believe???

anyway, until we hear back from th eBangzoomer, this has been a first - - - apparently its the first time ever we scared away a new poster with awe, reverence and encouragement instead of scorn disbelief and graemlin battling. sigh

Shane .... come back!

I'm sure the bombardment of pm's asking Mr. Bangzoom to sell his books scared him away from posting more too. Greed is the number one killer of our hobby.

Ah well, time to go drool at some online dealers stock pictures.

You really think so? I don't get the sense that Bangzoom is scared at all. We are talking about a guy who had the foresight in the 1960s to advertise in antique publications for rare comics and who had the wisdom to spend in the early 1970s what was then a huge sum for some great books. The fact that he has held these books for decades without selling them tells you that he knows how to turn down offers from potential buyers for his books. This isn't some clueless newbie we're dealing with here, people!

Rather, I think he is playing a clever game with our curiosity, dangling the string in front of us a little at a time and watching us pounce with excitement (or faint/fall out of our chairs/pull our hair out). It's driving me crazy with anticipation, but I love it! And I suspect that he does too, and that's perfectly OK with me. cloud9.gif I only wish that more people who have some of the best books in the hobby would do the same.

Mr Bannzoom, have you recieved any offers from board members and dealers to buy any of your books? That was suggested by someone, but I find it hard to believe that any board members would try to swoop down on a new poster to try and get his collection. Have you received any high pressure offers from any board members?

There were quite a few messages expressing interest, but I didn't mind.

I've been aware of comic fandom since 1963 and attended NY conventions from 1965 until about 1976 so it wasn't anything that made me feel uncomfortable. yeahok.gif

apparently its the first time ever we scared away a new poster with awe, reverence and encouragement

Oh, I bet (like the rest of us) he likes the awe reverence and encouragement just fine. wink.gif

I don't think he expected to show us what he showed and NOT get some crazy reaction.

There were quite a few messages expressing interest, but I didn't mind.

I've been aware of comic fandom since 1963 and attended NY conventions from 1965 until about 1976 so it wasn't anything that made me feel uncomfortable. yeahok.gif

And hopefully, 2007 will be the year in which you learn how not to crop your scans too much! 27_laughing.gifcloud9.gif

So Bangzoom, do you have any other marvelous items to wow us with today? This is the first thread I check when I come to the boards now. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

good enough. and I see our "tormenter" is back so all is good... : )

You know, it seems to me that YOU have some amazing books of your own that you could do a better job of displaying for board members on a more frequent basis. How about filling some of the slack time between Bangzoom's posts with some of your own stuff? poke2.gif

You know, it seems to me that YOU have some amazing books of your own that you could do a better job of displaying for board members on a more frequent basis. How about filling some of the slack time between Bangzoom's posts with some of your own stuff? poke2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

I've read some thoughts about this collection getting a Pedigree. Would that be appropriate in this case? If this is someone's personal collection, will remain that way, and isn't for sale, does it still qualify as a Pedigree? I would think the books would have to be available to others to qualify.

I agree that it's a fascinating story and would like to know more about it (I plan to hit that street corner next time I'm in DC!!), but does it qualify as a Pedigree?

Bangzoom, how about a few more pics to feed our addictions!?!?!

893applaud-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yes Bang please keep posting them ( without cropping the tops if possible)

Since you have no plans on selling at all for the forseeable future I see no harm in posting the scans of the marvelous books.

The only issue that I could see would be if you were palnning on going the "Press and clean" route in which case the history of the scans could be used as a reference point. As an editorial comment PLEASE DO NOT HAVE THESE WORKED ON. I am certain that you could retire tommorow and live for the rest of your life based upon what these books would bring.

I would recommend that you try to get CGC to give the books a pedigree and have a small quantity of the graded so you can see what they come up with. Also try to get them in the book on pedigrees as soon as possible. All of this should help the eventual sales value of the books for whenever you or you heirs do sell.

Yes Bang please keep posting them ( without cropping the tops if possible)

I would recommend that you try to get CGC to give the books a pedigree and have a small quantity of the graded so you can see what they come up with. Also try to get them in the book on pedigrees as soon as possible. All of this should help the eventual sales value of the books for whenever you or you heirs do sell.

I am sure your intentions are pure...but this is over the line. CGC decides nothing about pedigrees, the hobby does.

People just sit back and enjoy what he is willing to share....jon

BH,

We are comic collectors, and by definition that makes us driven to a certain extent, by avarice. We covet what we see. I love books, you and everyone here knows that. When I see books like Bang's I am in awe. I would love to own a collection like that, an original owner collection in grade, and be able to keep it intact, for the most part. I would have make sure my buddies got some! grin.gif

For the record, I inquired about buying the collection. I didn't swoop down on him. I sent him a PM congratulating him on the collection and thanking him for sharing them with us. I also told him that if he wanted to sell them all, or just a few, I would be interested.

I don't see anything wrong with making an offer. I love when folks make offers on books I show off. I either get to negotiate for a deal which is good or simply decline and stay happy with the books I have.

I'm sure folks are re-living the scenario where you're 15 years old in the LCS and someone walks in with a collection of sweet Silver Age Spiderman which the owner buys for peanuts. You keep your mouth shut and then he starts marking them with $100 stickers in front of you all the while with a eating grin on his face.