• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Jesus H' Christ, you people almost make me disgusted to be a comic collector. Most of your questions are for the prospector not the collector. Can you not enjoy the pictures presented before you without asking "how much is this" "this guy is hyping his books" "there must be an agenda". Look at the freaking books for gods sake. When/If he makes additional statements as to whether the books are for sale, then make your comments as to his agenda/intentions. You are ruining threads like these for all of us by making your assumptions by multiple posts and ruining the original intent of this thread. Hell, I'm even writing this inebriated (sp?). so cut it out people. I like pretty covers, keep em runnin'

HAW! I'm with you, 'Troop. Just enjoying the ride because I KNOW I'm never going to get one of these beauties.

Speaking of which, is this a paratrooper cover?

KeenDetectiveV26GA.jpg

I have no idea what's happening on that cover. The perspective is bewildering. Is the guy with the gun a giant? Is "The Eye" hidden in the palm tree shooting out his eyeball ray?

Jack

pass me one o' them beers

Comicus gratia comicus (for you latin speaking guys)

Comici gratia comicorum gossip.gif

"Comics for the sake of comics" (for you non-Latin speaking guys)

A sentiment I think many people here share. thumbsup2.gif

Yes i should have used the plural (for you folks i made the word up, but it should be with an "i" like alumnus and alumni) but do you think the accusative form is better than the possessive?

I now think the Boards have been brought to a whole new level as we discuss Latin grammar.

jb

veni, vidi, vici....

amo, amos, amant (reliving 12th grade latin!)

rick

amo, amas, amat...(Sir! You do NOT know me well enough to be so persumputous! (Amo= I love)

By the way do you think we should use the neuter form as "Comicum"?

okay, okay.....i have run that into the ground

no wonder I didn't get an A in Latin poke2.gif

My original intention when I began this thread was to share photos of many different items I've collected through the years. Instead, it seems to have veered off into an unexpected direction.

tonofbricks.gifNewsstandSupermanGA.jpg

I want to bring its focus back in line with my original idea. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Here's a VERY early Superman promo item. I think it was meant to be used at newsstands, but I'm not certain.

Note that it states that Superman, "Appears Only in ACTION COMICS" which would date this piece to sometime before Superman #1 was published.

It still has remnants of glue on the back side.

My original intention when I began this thread was to share photos of many different items I've collected through the years. Instead, it seems to have veered off into an unexpected direction.

tonofbricks.gifNewsstandSupermanGA.jpg

I want to bring its focus back in line with my original idea. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Here's a VERY early Superman promo item. I think it was meant to be used at newsstands, but I'm not certain.

Note that it states that Superman, "Appears Only in ACTION COMICS" which would date this piece to sometime before Superman #1 was published.

It still has remnants of glue on the back side.

893applaud-thumb.gif Action Comics Are my favorite! cloud9.gif

Bang,

Please continue to share! Your collection is amazing.

One question that no one seems to have asked you --

What are your feelings with regards to this being a Pedigree? Do you have any desire to have this collection garner Pedigree status? It seems that others who do not own this collection are motivated to annoint this a Pedigreed collection -- but, as the owner of this collection - what are your thoughts? Do you care?

Very cool promo Bang.

Of coruse the image on it was later used as the pin-up for the back cover of Superman #1

(which you'll be posting soon, right thumbsup2.gif )

Actually there are some minor differences. It looks like it was redrawn. Also, the insignia was colored differently

Superman1BackCoverGA.jpg .

Actually there are some minor differences. It looks like it was redrawn. Also, the insignia was colored differently

Yes, I see them now - of course you have the benefit of having the full-size ad to compare with.

But i think you're just teasing now - is this scan from the back of your Supey #1?

Incredible colors.

893applaud-thumb.gif

But i think you're just teasing now - is this scan from the back of your Supey #1?

Busted! 893applaud-thumb.gif Must be his supey 1 as the picture has the white steaks in the middle unique to his scanner! (where supes' shoulder meets his cape!)

Is that all writers were paid in 1940?

PaymentToArtistsDec1940GA.jpg

Great memorabilia. I have one from 1939 initialed by Vin Sullivan. Makes all this stuff come alive. jon

Are the first two lines crediting Siegel with work on a Spectre strip? I recognize the other strips listed as being his, but did not know he did work on the Spectre.

Are the first two lines crediting Siegel with work on a Spectre strip? I recognize the other strips listed as being his, but did not know he did work on the Spectre.

And at a higher rate than his other work no less... on an unrelated (?) note, do we know who wrote MF52? (I personally have no clue).

Great memorabilia. I have one from 1939 initialed by Vin Sullivan. Makes all this stuff come alive. jon

Apparently he did.

I have a long letter from Siegel to Jack Liebowitz (May 26, 1941) in which Jerry lists in detail his statement for amounts now owed.

The bill includes, Spectre (Dance of Death) -10 Pages - $40

Maybe I'll post that tomorrow.

Siegel co-created the Spectre with Bernard Bailey. gossip.gif I love the Action Comics banner! woo hoo!

Hi gang,

I've scanned a bunch more comics and will begin posting some tonight.

We upgraded the software for the scanner and that seems to have taken care of the problem with vertical lines appearing in our images (at least I hope so). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Adventure40GA.jpg

a good one, no doubt...I "bought" one about 3 months ago, but have been waiting for the seller to have cgc'd to confirm not trimmed...he emailed me this week that it should be about a week, till he gets it back, so i am close smile.gif

rick

893crossfingers-thumb.gifwink.gif