• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, in the 1960's, and first started advertising for old comic books, I specified in the ads that I didn't want Classics or True Comics.

The dislike in the hobby against that genre was so strong that I didn't even want to have to waste my time responding to offers of them.

Fortunately my prejudice was short-lived. I eventually began to appreciate those titles and started collecting them too.

classic12G.jpg

Rip Van Winkle

Technically, this could be the first horror comic. I thought I had a copy around here, but I can't find it, but I do recall it being a bit gory. Overstreet taps the following issue, Dr. J and Mr. H, for that honor, but you could make an argument for the Headless Horseman.

Edited by Weird Paper

Technically, this could be the first horror comic. I thought I had a copy around here, but I can't find it, but I do recall it being a bit gory. Overstreet taps the following issue, Dr. J and Mr. H, for that honor, but you could make an argument for the Headless Horseman.

Only a tad bit gory to not-gory really -

45983-CI-HH1.jpg.a8c26b3fb1253553070e9a637381f4d9.jpg

45984-CI-HH2.jpg.b069f6b1d9fc008ce08d581399d13138.jpg

45985-CI-HH3.jpg.a8669f3a67df0b655eca56b741322646.jpg

I know there are many who don't read all the threads posted in these forums, so I'm taking the liberty to repost the following which I also posted to Wrightson fan's Alex Toth thread.

I published what I think was the first comprehensive checklist ever compiled on Alex Toth.

It was serialized in issues 1-3 of a fanzine I published in 1972-73.

I gave Toth a copy of the checklist when I met him at a NY convention in the summer of 1972.

He later wrote me a long letter noting omissions, etc.

Here's an excerpt:

Before my “Heroic” days, I did a page (penciled only, I believe) for an editor named ‘Kapitan,’ at “Funnies, Inc.” or Lloyd Jacquet Studios – it was teen humor, or some such, just one page.

Skipping to pre ’54 days, while I was at Lev Gleason’s, I did a few romance jobs for them (was that the ‘Atlas’ title I see on your lists?) (I can’t remember “Atlas,” at all.) Anyhoo, I inked ‘em, too – they were clean, simple jobs, and some of the best I ever did- then: I was drafted and I never quite found again the crisp, open style I’d used on those romance stories.

In ’56, after the army service, I did one or two western jobs for Stan Lee - that’s all. My own inks. Then I joined Western/Whitman in L.A., to do “Dell” books - and while there…I illustrated “Lone Ranger” and other coloring books for ‘em, and a Golden Book of “Maverick,” two-color illos thru out. Plus, a slew of ad booklets for Union ’76 Gas. Co. (sports) profiles of top athletes, like Y.A. Tittle, etc… and things for American Dairy Council, and some “You Are There” and “20th Century” booklets (based on those CBS-TV series) …but not sure of who the client was?? Might’ve been one of those insurance companies…?

Recently painted two covers for Charlton’s “Real West” pulp mag. Doing another for a forthcoming “Film Journal” mag.

I “ghosted” a few Dan Barry comic book jobs for Ziff-Davis comic titles (mystery/sci-fi types) back in the early ‘50s –one story had to do with a “Fisherman of Space” or some such rot. Fish nets from above- etc…

May’ve done a romance or two, also.

I “ghosted” a movie ad for “Les Miserables” for Barry (in the 50’s) (pencils only) appeared in Sunday comic sections. Done in strip technique. Barry inked it, himself, changed it as he did so, too… not much tho.

I also helped “ghost” (along with a gang of artists) one of Barry’s “Vigilante’s… it was an overnight thing, literally- everyone in New York helped crank it out. Coffee and sandwiches all night/morning long---we did it- in time for 10AM delivery to DC’s editor. 8 or 10 pages, dunno. We penciled, inked, etc, etc… Belfi, Sy Barry, Roussos, Giacoia, Infantino, etc, etc..

I “ghosted” about a month of “Roy Rogers” dailies in ’60, or ’61- can’t remember for sure. Taking off Mike Arens’ style. Not easy.

I don’t see listing of my “Range Rider” westerns, (for ‘Dell) circa 1956/57 or my “Rex Allen” books, same years.

I did “Sugarfoot” a few copies…

That was a great story. Phantasmo is a lot cooler than I figured he'd be. (thumbs u

Don't let his yellow thong bias your judgment!

:grin:

Jack

phantasmo1.jpg

lol lol lol:signfunny:

I laughed out loud at that one Jack! When I stopped, I realized I have been scarred for life with some of the images from that story. The artist's sexual proclivities are quite clear.....

The artist's sexual proclivities are quite clear.....

So are the reader's...

I have a bunch of issues of the Funnies, but I only get them for the John Carter stories. meh

I swear I've never read a Phantasmo story - not that there's anything wrong with that. :blush:

Jeff

The artist's sexual proclivities are quite clear.....

So are the reader's...

I have a bunch of issues of the Funnies, but I only get them for the John Carter stories. meh

I swear I've never read a Phantasmo story - not that there's anything wrong with that. :blush:

Jeff

I've heard that Larry Craig collect The Funnies......it all makes sense now. Didn't Phantasmo engage in some kind of toe tapping ritual?