• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I toured the HD plant in York, PA when I was in college, but it sucked because it was the one day that the ENTIRE production line was closed down because of one missing part. I will need to go back and check it out again.

BB, have you ever seen a steam powered motorcycle?

I saw this one displayed at the Musée Mécanique at Pier 45 in San Francisco a few years ago.

Link

steam_cycle.jpg

I don't think I have seen a steam powered motorcycle before but I did see a jet powered cycle. I think Jay Leno demonstrated how it worked. My uncle used to travel from coast to coast with his wife on the motorcycle. He lived on the edge. Died there too.

My wife is not interested in motorcycles. She makes baskets and hooks rugs. She is a big fan of Tasha Tudor who died recently.

Tasha Tudor drew wonderful pictures an wrote brilliant childrens books. I will try to find another scan of her work.

bb

2608244815_e6e7ab6f85_o.jpg

2609073898_be9a20d671_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I toured the HD plant in York, PA when I was in college, but it sucked because it was the one day that the ENTIRE production line was closed down because of one missing part. I will need to go back and check it out again.

I went to the Harley Cycle week at the fairgrounds in York. They usually let you ride their bikes on a five mile circuit. I tried out a couple of bikes while I was there. I liked the smooth ride of the Heritage Softtail but they are not as nimble as the lighter weight Japanese bikes. I don't think I would want to try the suicide shifter WWII bikes even if they had one.

bb

Back in the heyday of pulps, there were four artists who were considered the Big Four of science fiction illustrators. They were Frank R. Paul, Leo Morey, H.W. Wesso, and Howard V. Brown.

Frank Paul has received quite a bit of attention on these boards but I don't recall ever seeing any mention of the other artists.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some examples of their work.

Howard Brown was born in 1878 and began his career as an artist of technical subjects. His work appeared on the covers of Scientific American (1913-1931), Everyday Engineering (1917-1920), Electrical Experimenter, Science and Invention, etc.

His first science fiction cover was for Astounding Stories, October 1933. He went on to create every cover for the title from January 1934 through May 1937 and then continued on as the artist for approximately half of the covers through 1938. He was also the cover artist for many issues of Startling Stories and Thrilling Wonder Stories (every cover, with the exception of one, from August 1936 through August 1940).

When I took a photo of this cover, illustrated by Brown, I was struck by the wealth of detail he included. I scrolled back and forth and up and down to see all the action. It was almost cinematic.

brown10.jpg

brown12.jpg

brown9.jpg

brown8.jpg

brown4.jpg

brown7.jpg

Startling Stories (July 1939)

It looks pretty good. The machine reminds me of the War of the Worlds. Lots of tenacles and big boots for stomping is always impressive. And it is orange.

bb

Is that the authors real name. Manly Wade ... He would have to be a lumberjack or play football with a name like that I think..

AFAIK yes it is his real name. Worked quite a bit in comics and is remembered for his work on the Spirit and Plastic Man among others.

His brother was Paul Wellman who was well known for his western novels.

Beautiful Marvel Mystery Comics BZ. Do you have a copy of MMC 28? I thought the colors were great on that cover.

By the way, I also found a Batman cover (on ebay) where he is riding a Harley with a Bat sign on the front fender. There are a few other Batman covers with motorcycles but I wouldn't guess what the artist was trying to draw unless I saw the shifter on the side of the gas tank.

2677853853_6539ed2911_o.jpg

And Capt. Flag usually took his Indian motorcycle from someone else. Maybe they all ended up in the lost and found.

bb

2678671966_f8948ee4b4_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I first became aware of Jules Feiffer when I read a review of his newly released book, "The Great Comic Book Heroes," in Time magazine during the summer of 1965.

It was pretty exciting at the time to see a mention of comic books anywhere in the press and Feiffer's book was the first I ever saw on the subject.

Feiffer began his professional art career as an assistant to Will Eisner while still attending art school. Soon thereafter he created his own comic feature, Clifford, that was published as part of the Spirit comic supplement.

These two pages were printed in the Eisner published comic book, The Kewpies #1 (Spring 1949).

feiffer1.jpg

feiffer2.jpg

BZ,

Thanks for the info on Feiffer. I still have my original copy of the "Great Comic Book Heroes" that was given to me as a present by a friend. I found another at a flea market a few years ago. I enjoyed the book very much. I think most fans 16 and over were familiar with his work from playboy before he published the book. I have since read other books that he has illustrated for children like "Phantom toll booth" and seen movies for which he had written screen plays like "Little Murders" and "Carnal Knowledge".

bb