• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

There may be a better St John painting but, if so, I don't what it is. :cloud9:

That story was originally serialized in Weird Tales and was featured on two covers.

weirdtales1933_04.jpg

Weird Tales (April 1933)

I was thinking the same thing. This is, by far, my favorite cover of Weird Tales. Love it. :cloud9:

There may be a better St John painting but, if so, I don't what it is. :cloud9:

That story was originally serialized in Weird Tales and was featured on two covers.

weirdtales1933_04.jpg

Weird Tales (April 1933)

Time to break out the birthday candles for Matt Fox (1906-1988), and I’m going to party down with a group shot of my head collection- vintage 1930s-1960s Mexican silver and stone (etc) tikis, and see if I can’t give Rocky (whose story I posted a few pages back…) a run for his money…

img847.jpg

mfhds.jpg

heads.JPG

Time to break out the birthday candles for Matt Fox (1906-1988), and I’m going to party down with a group shot of my head collection- vintage 1930s-1960s Mexican silver and stone (etc) tikis, and see if I can’t give Rocky (whose story I posted a few pages back…) a run for his money…

mfhds.jpg

Thanks for the birthday alert. I love the panel you posted.

Do you know of any online sites that have any info about Fox's career before he started working in the pulps?

they were some of the Mexican jewelry and art silver produced throughout the 20C as a 'revival' movement incorporating native icons- some religious, so a little of both but mostly the former. I'll mill around on Matt Fox...

They're very cool!

as a fan I am happy that he "made them his" although as a penciller I might have been pizzed lol

Great thread, I would love to hear more about Fox. He is one of my favorites from that time period

Thanks, Guys. There seems to be very little available on the early career of Matt Fox... many of his Atlas jobs were just the inks but even then he made them his. Here's the first page of a great yarn from Mystery Tales #22 Oct 1954...

img848.jpg

His stuff reminds me a bit of Wolverton, though with a style of his own as well. I love his Weird Tales covers.