• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Pretty cool BZ. I think Barks also wrote a few stories about collecting. Uncle Scrooge 5 and Four Color 422 come to mind.

Thanks for the tip, BB.

I remember reading "The Gilded Man" many years ago.

I think I'll reread it tonight.

4C422_1.jpg

4C422_2.jpg

4C422_3.jpg

Very cool example of the collector mindset!

I wonder if Clark Kent has a hobby? hm

supe3.jpg

Here are a few scans from the "King of the Comic Books" story that appeared in Superman #25.

It's a fun story.

Superman25_1.jpg

Superman25_2.jpg

Superman25_3.jpg

Superman25_4.jpg

Superman25_5.jpg

Great story. I think I purchased a Superman 25 recently but never bothered to take it out of the wrapper. I will have to dig it out now and enjoy it again.

cross post from sci fi cov thread, but is a neat plant menacing maiden...

img835.jpg

I hope that flower has trustworthy intentions. lol

I believe adamstrange picked-up a minty copy of this on the Boards recently.

On this date in 1938 Red Ryder made his debut in the comic strip section of America's newspapers.

From Wikipedia:

Red Ryder was a popular long-running Western comic strip created by Stephen Slesinger and artist Fred Harman. Beginning Sunday, November 6, 1938, Red Ryder was syndicated by Newspaper Enterprise Association, expanding over the following decade to 750 newspapers, translations into ten languages and a readership in the United States of 14 million. The 26-year run of the strip came to an end in 1964.

redryder1GA.jpg

Red Ryder Comics #1 (September 1940)

Bronc Peeler

Harman was on a Colorado ranch when he decided to draw a comic strip. He headed for Hollywood in the early 1930s, borrowed some money and began Bronc Peeler, which he syndicated himself. Bronc Peeler was a rough cowboy who fought bandits and rustlers with the help of his pal, Coyote Pete. Harman's rough-hewn art style had a dramatic appeal, but his characters, who killed animals and people, coupled with the affected use of slang and thin storylines, were not in keeping with the content standards needed for wide syndication.

Red Ryder

In 1938, when Harman met publisher/comic syndicator Slesinger, he headed toward happier trails. Slesinger brought Harman to New York and worked with him for a year before Red Ryder was ready to be syndicated. Slesinger then embarked on a successful campaign of merchandising and licensing with a seemingly endless parade of comic books, Big Little Books, novels, serial chapters, radio programs, events, rodeos, powwows, commercial tie-ins and licensed products such as the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun, which remains the longest continuous license in the history of the global licensing industry. The appeal of the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun to youngsters was depicted in the Christmas classic film A Christmas Story, adapted from the autobiographical fiction of Jean Shepherd, by permission of Red Ryder Enterprises, Inc., which owns the Red Ryder trademarks and copyrights.

Characters and story

Fred Harman's Red Ryder (December 27, 1942)Astride his mighty steed Thunder, Red was a tough cowpoke who lived on Painted Valley Ranch in the Blanco Basin of the San Juan Mountain Range with his aunt, the Duchess, and his juvenile sidekick, Little Beaver, who rode his horse, Papoose, when they took off to deal with the bad guys. Little Beaver spoke in the pidgin English now considered an offensive caricature. (Example: "Spinach heap good. Me like'm!") Other notable characters were ranchhand Buckskin Blodgett, Red's gal pal Beth and bad guy Ace Hanlon.

Harman was eventually acclaimed as one of the finest Western pen-and-ink artists, known for his dramatic sense of perspective and authentic action. Contributing artists and writers worked on the strip over the years, including Stephen Slesinger who scripted and approved all of the stories until his passing in 1953; Jim Gary, Edmund Good, John Wade ("Johnnie") Hampton, Robert MacLeod and Bill Lignanti (of The Palm Restaurant fame). Charlie Dye, Johnnie Hampton, Joe Beeler and George Phippen were co-founders of the Cowboy Artists of America of which Harman was also a charter member. Harman left Red Ryder in 1963 to concentrate on his paintings, MacLeod continued writing the story continuity for the strip with staff artists of Red Ryder Entp., Inc.

Gaylord DuBois, a prolific comic book writer associated with Slesinger, scripted Red Ryder and Little Beaver for a short period in 1938 and again in the early 1940s.

Comic books

The first appearance of Red Ryder on Dell's Crackajack Funnies #9 (March 1939).The first Red Ryder comic book was published by Slesinger's Hawley Publications, Inc. in September 1940, followed by Hi-Spot comics for one issue. Dell Comics launched its Red Ryder in August 1941, changing its title to Red Ryder Ranch Magazine with #145, and then to Red Ryder Ranch Comics with #149. Red Ryder Comics consisted of reprints of the newspaper strip until issue #47 (June 1947), when it began producing original material. Altogether, the title ran for a total of 151 issues, ending in 1957, one of the longest continuous newsstand runs of any Western comic.

On this date in 1938 Red Ryder made his debut in the comic strip section of America's newspapers.

From Wikipedia:

Red Ryder was a popular long-running Western comic strip created by Stephen Slesinger and artist Fred Harman. Beginning Sunday, November 6, 1938, Red Ryder was syndicated by Newspaper Enterprise Association, expanding over the following decade to 750 newspapers, translations into ten languages and a readership in the United States of 14 million. The 26-year run of the strip came to an end in 1964.

redryder1GA.jpg

Red Ryder Comics #1 (September 1940)

Bronc Peeler

Harman was on a Colorado ranch when he decided to draw a comic strip. He headed for Hollywood in the early 1930s, borrowed some money and began Bronc Peeler, which he syndicated himself. Bronc Peeler was a rough cowboy who fought bandits and rustlers with the help of his pal, Coyote Pete. Harman's rough-hewn art style had a dramatic appeal, but his characters, who killed animals and people, coupled with the affected use of slang and thin storylines, were not in keeping with the content standards needed for wide syndication.

Red Ryder

In 1938, when Harman met publisher/comic syndicator Slesinger, he headed toward happier trails. Slesinger brought Harman to New York and worked with him for a year before Red Ryder was ready to be syndicated. Slesinger then embarked on a successful campaign of merchandising and licensing with a seemingly endless parade of comic books, Big Little Books, novels, serial chapters, radio programs, events, rodeos, powwows, commercial tie-ins and licensed products such as the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun, which remains the longest continuous license in the history of the global licensing industry. The appeal of the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun to youngsters was depicted in the Christmas classic film A Christmas Story, adapted from the autobiographical fiction of Jean Shepherd, by permission of Red Ryder Enterprises, Inc., which owns the Red Ryder trademarks and copyrights.

Characters and story

Fred Harman's Red Ryder (December 27, 1942)Astride his mighty steed Thunder, Red was a tough cowpoke who lived on Painted Valley Ranch in the Blanco Basin of the San Juan Mountain Range with his aunt, the Duchess, and his juvenile sidekick, Little Beaver, who rode his horse, Papoose, when they took off to deal with the bad guys. Little Beaver spoke in the pidgin English now considered an offensive caricature. (Example: "Spinach heap good. Me like'm!") Other notable characters were ranchhand Buckskin Blodgett, Red's gal pal Beth and bad guy Ace Hanlon.

Harman was eventually acclaimed as one of the finest Western pen-and-ink artists, known for his dramatic sense of perspective and authentic action. Contributing artists and writers worked on the strip over the years, including Stephen Slesinger who scripted and approved all of the stories until his passing in 1953; Jim Gary, Edmund Good, John Wade ("Johnnie") Hampton, Robert MacLeod and Bill Lignanti (of The Palm Restaurant fame). Charlie Dye, Johnnie Hampton, Joe Beeler and George Phippen were co-founders of the Cowboy Artists of America of which Harman was also a charter member. Harman left Red Ryder in 1963 to concentrate on his paintings, MacLeod continued writing the story continuity for the strip with staff artists of Red Ryder Entp., Inc.

Gaylord DuBois, a prolific comic book writer associated with Slesinger, scripted Red Ryder and Little Beaver for a short period in 1938 and again in the early 1940s.

Comic books

The first appearance of Red Ryder on Dell's Crackajack Funnies #9 (March 1939).The first Red Ryder comic book was published by Slesinger's Hawley Publications, Inc. in September 1940, followed by Hi-Spot comics for one issue. Dell Comics launched its Red Ryder in August 1941, changing its title to Red Ryder Ranch Magazine with #145, and then to Red Ryder Ranch Comics with #149. Red Ryder Comics consisted of reprints of the newspaper strip until issue #47 (June 1947), when it began producing original material. Altogether, the title ran for a total of 151 issues, ending in 1957, one of the longest continuous newsstand runs of any Western comic.

I have never been able to buy enough Red Ryder comics but I like em, you betcha.

1766435311_b9841d511b_b.jpg

Fred Harman's Sunday pages were spectacular. I think I only have one intact.