• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's the interesting discussion in a 1940's zine on early comics that included Derleth. This was originally posted by Bob Beerbohm a few years ago:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=1834967&Searchpage=1&Main=102852&Words=derleth&topic=0&Search=true#Post1834967

That looks like a fascinating thread.

I'm too tired to tackle it tonight but I'm looking forward to reading it tomorrow.

I've been reading lots of Donald Duck stories by Carl Barks of late and thought I'd share this one from WDC&S #249 (June 1961).

It's a fun story that is also noteworthy because the book mentioned on page 3, "Ten Seconds to Mars" by Spicer Willits, is a reference to Malcolm Willits and the brothers John and Bill Spicer who were the first three comic fans to ever contact Barks.

strangerthanfiction1.jpg

strangerthanfiction2.jpg

strangerthanfiction3.jpg

Today marks the birthday of the master of suspense, the man whose name was noir, the incredible author of so many great novels and short stories, Cornell Woolrich (1903-1968). His work has been source material for a vast number of films, but it is the words themselves that best instill the magical mood of doom-driven despair that is his trademark.

img869.jpg

img871.jpg

img872.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

Yeah, Con had ‘Reefer Madness’ in mind when he wrote that as it hardly reflects the true effects of cannabis. There’s a similar scene in ‘Phantom Lady’ where a young woman conducting an amateur murder investigation gets friendly with the drummer in a jazz band who works at the club where she’s hunting clues… He takes her to his room, gets high, and goes crazy. Not how it works, but fascinating fiction that can be forgiven for casually buying into the propaganda of the era. Here’s his other ‘Dell Dimer’.

img873.jpg

Yeah, Con had ‘Reefer Madness’ in mind when he wrote that as it hardly reflects the true effects of cannabis. There’s a similar scene in ‘Phantom Lady’ where a young woman conducting an amateur murder investigation gets friendly with the drummer in a jazz band who works at the club where she’s hunting clues… He takes her to his room, gets high, and goes crazy. Not how it works, but fascinating fiction that can be forgiven for casually buying into the propaganda of the era.

I've always enjoyed watching old exploitation films.

I got a bunch of them in this collection I purchased from Borders shortly before they went out of business. I've seen most of them already but there are several that are new to me: Omoo-Omoo, Ten Nights in a Barroom, Joyless Street...

cultclassics.jpg

cultclassics2.jpg