• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

How about the thought of ducks eating a moose for Thanksgiving dinner? cool_shades.gif

moose.jpg

No problems there as moose and ducks are not exactly closely related in the genetic stakes.

And they have to catch one first...

mobil14.jpg

Such metaphysical questions can only lead to madness or other disturbing questions:

If Mickey (a mouse) has a dog as a pet, why does his best friend Goofy also appear to be a dog?

Why do Mickey and Donald appear to be the same scale as humans when the diminutive Chip and Dale maintain rodent size and for that matter pester Donald?

Let's not go there or agree that all funny animals are not created equal!

I thought the viewers of this thread might appreciate this book.

http://laughingsquid.com/mail-order-mysteries-reveals-the-real-products-behind-comic-book-ads/

This was interesting - thanks for posting.

According to Wiki (I know, I know), he "reportedly deployed the funding from his Guggenheim Fellowship to bind his comic book collection, most recently valued in the millions of dollars, rather than to travel abroad as the award intended"

Given that he was awarded the Fellowship in 1938, he either saved the money and later bound the books or bound a lot of newspaper strips.

Has anyone ever seen any of the volumes shown in the pic?

I haven't seen it but it's at the Wisconsin Historical Society in Madison I believe. Never had the time to make a trip there to check the contents out. I am sure some have.

Here's their entry for it:

http://arcat.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?Search_Arg=rlin+%22wihv93-A19%22&SL=None&Search_Code=CMD&DB=local&CNT=30

Note the contents: 31 record center cartons, 13 archives boxes, 5 flat boxes, 1 oversize carton, 97 bundles, and 290 volumes

Bob Beerbolm posted some very cool correspondence from Derleth and a group of Comic strip historians from the 40's. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow with the search engine.

Check out Post # 1259437 - 08/24/06 11:25 PM from BLBComics, Bob's handle. It's in the Obadiah thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1259436

You may have to scroll down to the middle.

Derleth, in addition to being writer and publisher was also the first great editor of fantasy anthologies. I bought this for my brother’s birthday in September (he is deceased and books go straight into the collection we built together that I inherited) because I wanted to make sure I had HPL ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ on hand. Didn’t want the Arkham as I have the other novels it’s packaged with, didn’t want to get 3 Astoundings… but August thought so much of the story that he included it in this 1948 opus despite its being longer than one usually finds in such a collection.. When I was buying every used PB SF anthology I could find in the early 1970s the (abridged) Berkley reprints of the Derleth hardcovers were faves…

As Jeff’s book is 20 masterpieces of horror I guess this is something of a companion volume… ps Stephen Grendon , ‘A Gentleman from Prague’ Sleep No More p.327 is Derleth… no illos in this one save dj

img861.jpg

img862.jpg

I thought the viewers of this thread might appreciate this book.

http://laughingsquid.com/mail-order-mysteries-reveals-the-real-products-behind-comic-book-ads/

Thanks for the link.

It looks like a fun book.

My only experience with those type of products was when I placed an order from an ad that appeared in Action Comics #291 for the "Throw Your Voice" gadget.

honorhouse.jpg

I ordered the Medieval Knights and castle set. The "castle" was a flimsy plastic sheet with castle walls printed on top of a grid. The knights were not flats like depicted in the video but they were tiny, cheap and many were anachronisms like the Greek spearmen, circa 400 B.C.

Here's the interesting discussion in a 1940's zine on early comics that included Derleth. This was originally posted by Bob Beerbohm a few years ago:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=1834967&Searchpage=1&Main=102852&Words=derleth&topic=0&Search=true#Post1834967

Derleth, in addition to being writer and publisher was also the first great editor of fantasy anthologies. I bought this for my brother’s birthday in September (he is deceased and books go straight into the collection we built together that I inherited) because I wanted to make sure I had HPL ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ on hand. Didn’t want the Arkham as I have the other novels it’s packaged with, didn’t want to get 3 Astoundings… but August thought so much of the story that he included it in this 1948 opus despite its being longer than one usually finds in such a collection.. When I was buying every used PB SF anthology I could find in the early 1970s the (abridged) Berkley reprints of the Derleth hardcovers were faves…

As Jeff’s book is 20 masterpieces of horror I guess this is something of a companion volume… ps Stephen Grendon , ‘A Gentleman from Prague’ Sleep No More p.327 is Derleth… no illos in this one save dj

img861.jpg

img862.jpg

He did quite of few of these anthologies around this time. There were two others illustrated with Coye's scratchboard work: Who Knocks? (1946) and The Night Side (1947).

Of course you can probably guess which story I picked up this book for:

SleepNoMoreInt.jpg