• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

We were discussing Rudolph Belarski painted paperback covers a while ago in this thread. I had these out the other day and snapped a photo. I think all or most of these are Belarski:

pb-popularlibrary.jpg

Great photo. :applause:

I think Rafael DeSoto is the cover artist for "Stay Away, Joe" and "H is for Heroin."

And, Ray Johnson is possibly the artist for "Don't Push Me Around."

that would be "The Turtle Who Could Not Stop Talking" from Platt & Munk's 1930s classic 'Folk Tales Children Love', edited by Watty Piper, uncredited art... when my kids were young we garnered a good group of vintage books to peruse together- that's collecting- many hours happily spent in old bookstores up and down the west coast. ps 'H is for Heroin' is not only a very soft and beautiful cover, but the blurb is priceless: "A Teen Age Narcotic Tells Her Story" (can we see it big please? go Raf!)

img859.jpg

I think Rafael DeSoto is the cover artist for "Stay Away, Joe" and "H is for Heroin." And, Ray Johnson is possibly the artist for "Don't Push Me Around."

Thanks, I probably shoulda looked that info up in my "Dames, Dolls & Delinquents" book. Makes sense -- Belsarski's colors are brighter and his women more pinup va-voomish. I do appreciate the more muted, brownish palettes of the DeSoto and Johnson covers, which lend themselves to the luridness of the stories. etc.

ah collecting: when a good netsuke comes to market online the action can be fast and any hesitation can be fatal: ie- if you don't buy it someone else will. Losing the worm to an earlier (and no doubt better-heeled) bird hurts! BUT: vigilance and a sure trigger finger can also occasionally be rewarded. To wit: last week I discovered the great Japanese wizard Tokubei, who rides on a giant toad and works magic while shouting 'Santa Maria!' And last night my favorite dealer posted the below, I locked on target and quickly verified that it would be an excellent addition to my collection, and even though I'd just bought something I remembered my above rule- and since this is someone I buy from often- secured the piece with payment slightly deferred... I am stoked!

tokubei.JPG

toku1.jpg

Tokubei.jpg

'H is for Heroin' is not only a very soft and beautiful cover, but the blurb is priceless: "A Teen Age Narcotic Tells Her Story" (can we see it big please? go Raf!)

The front cover isn't very dynamic...

hisforheroin.jpg

However, they do a great job pitching the story on the back cover.

hisforheroinbc.jpg

ah collecting: when a good netsuke comes to market online the action can be fast and any hesitation can be fatal: ie- if you don't buy it someone else will. Losing the worm to an earlier (and no doubt better-heeled) bird hurts! BUT: vigilance and a sure trigger finger can also occasionally be rewarded. To wit: last week I discovered the great Japanese wizard Tokubei, who rides on a giant toad and works magic while shouting 'Santa Maria!' And last night my favorite dealer posted the below, I locked on target and quickly verified that it would be an excellent addition to my collection, and even though I'd just bought something I remembered my above rule- and since this is someone I buy from often- secured the piece with payment slightly deferred... I am stoked!

tokubei.JPG

Great addition to your collection. :applause:

Earlier I said turtles were my favorite but actually I've always loved frogs and toads, too.

One of my childood treasures is a signed copy of "Living Amphibians" that Dr. Cochran gave me when I was a youngster.

livingamphibians.jpg

(I can't put my hands on my copy without doing a bit of digging so this is an image of the book I found on the Internet.)

ah collecting: when a good netsuke comes to market online the action can be fast and any hesitation can be fatal: ie- if you don't buy it someone else will. Losing the worm to an earlier (and no doubt better-heeled) bird hurts! ... ' And last night my favorite dealer posted the below, I locked on target and quickly verified that it would be an excellent addition to my collection, and even though I'd just bought something I remembered my above rule- and since this is someone I buy from often- secured the piece with payment slightly deferred... I am stoked!

I had no idea what netsuke was... So I looked it up --

-------------------

Netsuke (Japanese:根付) are miniature sculptures that were invented in 17th-century Japan to serve a practical function (the two Japanese characters ne+tsuke mean "root" and "to attach"). Traditional Japanese garments—robes called kosode and kimono—had no pockets; however, men who wore them needed a place to store their personal belongings, such as pipes, tobacco, money, seals, or medicines.

Their solution was to place such objects in containers (called sagemono) hung by cords from the robes' sashes (obi). The containers may have been pouches or small woven baskets, but the most popular were beautifully crafted boxes (inro), which were held shut by ojime, which were sliding beads on cords. Whatever the form of the container, the fastener that secured the cord at the top of the sash was a carved, button-like toggle called a netsuke.

Netsuke, like the inro and ojime, evolved over time from being strictly utilitarian into objects of great artistic merit and an expression of extraordinary craftsmanship. Such objects have a long history reflecting the important aspects of Japanese folklore and life. Netsuke production was most popular during the Edo period in Japan, around 1615-1868. Today, the art lives on, and some modern works can command high prices in the UK, Europe, the USA, Japan and elsewhere. Inexpensive yet faithful reproductions are available in museums and souvenir shops.

---------------------

Very interesting! How can you tell when a netsuke is authentic? Does CGC encapsulate netsuke?

Turkeys must be at the bottom of the food chain...

DonaldDuck.jpg

Goofy.jpg

grandma.jpg

LilBadWolf.jpg

Turkeys are so far down the food chain that they have been known to drown when looking up in a rain storm to see what was hitting them on the head. Amazing! But that doesn't mean that they don't taste especially good when cooked slowly in a smoker with lots of hickory to flavor them.

MickeyMouse.jpg

Pluto.jpg