• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Today is the 70th anniversary of the release of the first Fox and Crow cartoon.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Fox and the Crow are a pair of anthropomorphic cartoon characters created by Frank Tashlin for the Screen Gems studio. The characters, the refined but gullible Fauntleroy Fox and the streetwise Crawford Crow, appeared in a series of animated short subjects released by Screen Gems through its parent company, Columbia Pictures, and were Screen Gems' most popular characters.

Tashlin directed the first film in the series, the 1941 Color Rhapsody short "The Fox and the Grapes", a series of blackout gags based around the Aesop fable of that name. Warner Bros. animation director Chuck Jones acknowledges this short, featuring the Fox hell-bent on retrieving a bunch of grapes in the possession of the crow as one of the inspirations for his popular Road Runner cartoons.

COMIC BOOKS

Fox and the Crow starred in comic books, where they starred in several funny animal comics published by DC Comics, from the 1940s well into the 1960s. They starred with other characters in DC's Columbia-licensed funny animal anthology Real Screen Comics (first issue titled Real Screen Funnies) beginning in 1945, then did likewise when DC converted the superhero title Comic Cavalcade to a funny-animal series in 1948.

The duo received its own title, The Fox and the Crow, which ran 108 issues (Jan. 1952 - March 1968). Until the 1954 demise of Comic Cavalcade, Fox and Crow were cover-featured on three DC titles. They continued on the cover of Real Screen Comics through its title change to TV Screen Cartoons from #129-138 (Aug. 1959 - Feb. 1961), the final issue.

The Fox and the Crow itself was renamed Stanley and His Monster beginning with #109 (May 1968), after the back-up feature, begun in #95 (Jan. 1966), that had taken over in popularity. For the last ten years of its existence, The Fox and the Crow was written by Cecil Beard, assisted by his wife, Alpine Harper. The illustrator was Jim Davis (b. 1915), although it was generally unsigned.

Deadshot's daughter mentions wanting a The Fox and the Crow umbrella in The Secret Six #1. The Fox and the Crow were going to have a cameo in Who Framed Roger Rabbit but were dropped for reasons unknown.

Great BZ!!! Thanks for the link (thumbs u

This reminds me, I was watching an old edisode of "Car 54 Were Are You" last night on ME and there was a copy of Fox & the Crow that was being looked at during one scene.

I don't know what issue it was, but I believe it's from 1962 because I do remember the cover featured the "square, 12 cent price box" on the cover.

Too bad they were scraped from the Roger Rabbit movie. That movie is amazing. :cool:

This reminds me, I was watching an old edisode of "Car 54 Were Are You" last night on ME and there was a copy of Fox & the Crow that was being looked at during one scene.

Do you happen to recall the title of last night's Car 54 episode?

There were two episodes on that night. The first one was THE WHITE ELEPHANT, followed by BENNY THE BOOKIES LAST CHANCE

Sorry, I don't but maybe ME has a online schedule that could be checked.

I'll see if I can find it???

That's very....yellow :cool:

doh!

From AS, that's a compliment :thumbsup: ... though I'm sure he would have appreciated more had it been very ... purple. red :)

Fixed that for you!

Purple's okay -- in a pinch

Planet66.jpg

There were two episodes on that night. The first one was THE WHITE ELEPHANT, followed by BENNY THE BOOKIES LAST CHANCE

I think it was Benny the Bookies Last Chance...thanks!!! hm