• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, are you an Elitist or a Completist? My 500th post, ramblings and MORE!

51 posts in this topic

Ok, here it is... my 500th post! acclaim.gif I wanted it to be profound, poignant, and perhaps preplexing, but alas... it was simply leaving me puzzled. As I sit here enjoying my Jim Dundee's India Pale Ale (5.3% alc. by volume, I might add), I realized that I needed something perhaps a bit more worthwhile for #500? Something of substance that adds to these boards and really fires up a discussion! That's right, it's about time that I begin to truly contribute! Ok, where was I? Oh yeah, #500... and Mr. Dundee, yeah. screwy.gif

So, our VCC this past weekend got me thinking... is more better or is better better? Of course, most folks likely want a balance of both in their collections -- the best and the most complete, while others are more obviously one-sided.

Certainly, I do have numerous HG issues, but I feel that I'm more driven to collect "the whole set". Anyone who visited my VCC booth saw that: 'Collected Storylines and More', right? Therefore, unfortunately for me, I know that my thing is: more is better. I have a tough time justifying more than $200 for any single comic - especially on a raw one <sheesh>. Further, my CGCs that break the $200 mark can be counted on one hand before I hit my ringfinger! Granted, I'm not a Golden-Age guy, or really even a Sliver-Age one at that, where pricy books are more the norm; I'm predominately a Bronzer! Even as such, I simply cannot convince myself to nab a HG ASM #129 or Hulk #181or otherwise when I can get umpteen 9.4-9.8, quality other issues for a fraction of the price.

Case and point, this weekend I finally nabbed an ASM #153 CGC 9.6 and an ASM #158 9.0 (both from Nostalgia Attic - pmt. out today, rock-on Tom grin.gif), both are nice slot fillers for my "My Show-and-Tell ASM Set". My real goal in that set was to collect #150-#200, the books of my youth! All in "new-style" CGC slabs, in 9.0 or better and I'm almost there (though I had to settle for an 8.5 #165 frown.gif - are there any better one's out there?), lots of 9.6's, but still no 9.8s yet! Then I expect that I'll upgrade as I go, pepper in a few 9.8's and extend it a bit more into the full #100-#200 set from there. Basically, if I can score a HG issue for a fair price (ie. the ASM #153 - thanks again, Tom) I'm in, but it's not super important, while if another lower grade (ie: the #158) is also available that's just as good! It's not like I'm not a man of means, not that I couldn't buy an uber-HG collection; I'd simply rather have more-more... MORE!

Certainly, most folks collect what they like, but at what point does the quest for quaility begin to take control of your collecting habits, or does it at all?

... or for those so inclined: Are you an Elitist or a Completist, then?

Thoughts? Comments? Please share and discuss... and as always, I value your opinions an appreciate that you made it this far into my post. makepoint.gif That's right, my 500th post...

Thank you... that is all. hail.gif

Nice 500th post Solitaire,I look at myself as more of a Completist than an Elitist.#1 : I don't have the money to buy the best copies of the runs I'm working on (FF & ASM).My mind set from the start was to build mid to high grade sets,and I've been able to do that so far.I'm happy with my progress,it's alot of fun picking these books up again as an adult.I also realize there comes a time to stop.After my FF run,I will only finish a few more runs (Avengers #1-5,DD #1-10,X-Men #1-10,Hulk #1-6)After that,I'm going to buy Timely's.I've reached the point where I've gotten most of the books I want,and don't feel the need to keep buying just for the sake of buying.You only have so much room,and I'm happy with what I have.I will never win any awards for my collection,but they make me pretty happy,and that's what it's all about,right? thumbsup2.gif

Completist.

There's no way I could afford to pay top dollar for all of the ASM keys I have or still need to acquire for my collection. While a cover is great to look at, I think it's much more exciting to read a great story arc. The book should be firmly attached at the staples and have no coupons clipped. Other than that, I'm pretty flexible.

BTW - Great 500th post!

Definitely a completist. Trying to complete silverage runs of all Marvel and DC Superhero titles. VG copies work for me and I have taken as low as a Fair/Good of a key issue to fill a slot. I hope to complete them soon because lately my mind has been wandering over to GA (Fiction House, Standard/Nedor). wink.gif

Before answering this question you need to better define your parameters regarding price.

I have a tough time justifying more than $200 for any single comic - especially on a raw one <sheesh>. Further, my CGCs that break the $200 mark can be counted on one hand before I hit my ringfinger!

This may be where you draw the line, but is this amount generally accepted by most? I'm not too thrilled about crossing the $200 border either, but when a nice issue comes along that you "need" in your collection...that line gets pushed forward. Sometimes waaaay forward. Personally, I spent over $2400 on a 9.2 JLA #4 not too long ago. 893whatthe.gif Only nice copy that's come around in a while so I pulled the trigger. Bang.

Even still, I'm sure there are plenty of boardies here that would spend $2K in a blink of an eye.

Long story short, price/value/worth...all relative. At the right price, we would all be completionists, no?

Rick

Well said,

Buy what you enjoy and dont worry about impressing others

Buying what you enjoy is key! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I enjoy collecting DC War comics and I'd definately be called a completist. Buying high-grade books would be great, but there's a price point for me where I just can't do it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I like to see others with the expensive high priced books, and I applaud them for owning something so beautiful. hail.gif

As it's been said before, buy what you like, you can not go wrong by doing that. thumbsup2.gif

Andy

I am an Elitist!! When I started collecting in early 90's (age 13 or so), a store owner said to me always by quality over quantity. I have always followed that philosophy when collecting comics!!

Same here. Besides the fact that I aesthetically prefer sharp looking books and get no joy out of wrinkled, trashed out books, I am infinitely patient. I would rather wait for years to find the right copy to fill the hole in a run then buy whatever comes along just for the sake of filling the hole. Sure I could always upgrade, but then I'd have to go through the hassle of buying another copy and selling off the old copy. I'd prefer to wait for the right copy and just do it once.

At this point, just getting back into collecting, I am somewhat of a completist. I have a list of some runs of Bronze Age DC's that I am going to fill in at least VF grade or higher. Like most that have posted already, price point is the controlling factor. However, there will be a point that I will become an elitist when it comes to GA books, which are my real passion.

I am an Elitist!! When I started collecting in early 90's (age 13 or so), a store owner said to me always by quality over quantity. I have always followed that philosophy when collecting comics!!

Same here. I would rather wait for years to find the right copy to fill the hole in a run then buy whatever comes along just for the sake of filling the hole. I'd prefer to wait for the right copy and just do it once.

So your saying your an elite completist 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Due to the financial aspects (-burden!!)of collecting a HG large run, I focus on smaller runs, in HG. Thus fulfilling both aspects of my collecting wants. Being able to get complete runs, and at the same time having top notch books. thumbsup2.gif

I would say that I'm a mix of both. While a lot of my books are not the highest graded, they are all high-grade and I'm still trying to complete my X-Men 1-450 run.

You always read about collectors being around for some time, who have, (or had) every silver age marvel title going, completed.

The reality for us more recent collectors, one title in good order (e.g ranging 8.0 - 9.4) is about all we could realisticly expect to collect these days.

Are you an Elitist or a Completist, then?

I consider myself a comic book fan. I dont really care for high grade books because i have absolutly no plans on resaling them. Some people love to buy in high grade and resale down the line for investment purposes but to me that just ruins the reason why i got into this in the first place.

I have been all over the map. Ive had a complete run of Thor 126-502 and 90% complete run of Avengers. Both were average VF.

But I sold almost all of those books due to not enjoying the look of most of the books.

So, I must say that I am an elitist. Like Tim says, I just like the apperance of HG books.

Nik is also right, collect what you enjoy!

Price is also a factor with me, so ive started buying late SA lower tier books like GL and Sgt. Fury. It helps that I like the books but they are generally cheaper and I get to enjoy HG books but at a price where I can buy more but still buy HG.

I would say that I'm a mix of both. While a lot of my books are not the highest graded, they are all high-grade and I'm still trying to complete my X-Men 1-450 run.

Yes i really wish you would stop trying to complete that 1-450 run poke2.gif

But seriously i am one of either depending on what i am collecting. My X-men run i'll collected from a certain level (depending on price and grade) and always look to upgrade when i can. Other runs I look at collecting only the highest level possible, while others i collect just to read.