• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, are you an Elitist or a Completist? My 500th post, ramblings and MORE!

51 posts in this topic

More completist than elitist. The most I've ever spent on a book was $750.00, but I've bought tons of books $100-500.00. Gobs. smile.gif

I have complete runs of every major Spider-Man book except Marvel Team-Up (90% complete) and Marvel Tales. Also Daredevil and other Independent smaller runs (Groo-complete, Usagi-90% Complete, TMNT-99% complete, Nexus-100% complete, etc.etc.) I lack 114 issues of having Avengers, and those are mostly bronze.

I like pretty books in midgrade. 4.0-8.0.

I am an Elitist!! When I started collecting in early 90's (age 13 or so), a store owner said to me always by quality over quantity. I have always followed that philosophy when collecting comics!!

Same here. Besides the fact that I aesthetically prefer sharp looking books and get no joy out of wrinkled, trashed out books, I am infinitely patient. I would rather wait for years to find the right copy to fill the hole in a run then buy whatever comes along just for the sake of filling the hole. Sure I could always upgrade, but then I'd have to go through the hassle of buying another copy and selling off the old copy. I'd prefer to wait for the right copy and just do it once.

That's exactly where I'm at with my collecting as well. I couldn't have said it any better. thumbsup2.gif

I'm an elitist first and a completionist second. Meaning, I try to get the #1 or expensive key book in the run first, then try and start completing the whole run in HG.

Elitist. I start with highest grade I can afford and access and upgrade from there, selling/trading off the undercopies. I've realized it is almost impossible to be a true completist - what sets you may consider complete, others will just point out the deficiencies and prove for a fact that you really are nowhere close tongue.gif

Now 12hrs. later, I finally get to view my post... shy.gif

"Nice 500th post SolitaireOne"; "BTW - Great 500th post!"

Ah -- SUCCESS! Folks are talking... gossip.gif... good points too:

There's no way I could afford to pay top dollar for all of the ASM keys I have or still need to acquire for my collection.

I entirely agree, too many that I must have, yet never can... frown.gif

Before answering this question you need to better define your parameters regarding price.

I have a tough time justifying more than $200 for any single comic - especially on a raw one <sheesh>. Further, my CGCs that break the $200 mark can be counted on one hand before I hit my ringfinger!

I'm not too thrilled about crossing the $200 border either, but when a nice issue comes along that you "need" in your collection...that line gets pushed forward. Only nice copy that's come around in a while so I pulled the trigger.

Long story short, price/value/worth...all relative. At the right price, we would all be completionists, no?

Rick

True, true... certainly if $$ were no object... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Due to the financial aspects (-burden!!)of collecting a HG large run, I focus on smaller runs, in HG. Thus fulfilling both aspects of my collecting wants. Being able to get complete runs, and at the same time having top notch books.

Ah yes... my "Righteous Rojatt's", Human Fly set fits that bill! cloud9.gif

This is all excellent and just what I hoped for... so, what else say you? thumbsup2.gif

I'm a completist first, elitist second... given the far-flung range of my collection, from Archie titles to Walt Disney's Comics & Stories and Uncle Scrooge (and all other Barks books are on my want list), Action and Adventure to Daredevil, ASM, FF etc., I can't afford to be an elitist first. But I do try to set 'standards' for myself in each title/era; I'll grab an Action Comics #78 in G/VG, but won't settle for an Uncle Scrooge #6 in less than say, FN...

Once I complete a run, I'll then focus on upgrading that run accordingly... I've got Conan 1-130 (excepting #s 11 and 20), but a few of those (such as #3) are in mid- or even low-grade, so I'll keep searching 'til I have that run in VF or better...

But just try to assemble a run of WDC&S from 31 to 300 in FN or better...it's definitely an uphill slog!

Completist, definitely. Ever since I was a kid, I've been all about accumulating comic books. There's something about looking through a large number of comics without having to skip a number that is as aesthetically pleasing as any 9.8.

I enjoy having nice-looking comics, but within my budget constraints, quantity wins almost every time. Although, VFs and even Fines, and even some VGs on older SA books qualify as 'nice-looking' to me. I sometimes do wish I had the patience of tth2 as I have gotten antsy and filled holes with books that are a drop in quality from the surrounding set, and I never get around to upgrading.

Neither. I am a readist. smirk.gif

My main passion is GA Batman/Detective. I can't currently afford to be either an elistist or completist. So I just enjoy reading the archives and purchasing the occasional cool issue with stories I haven't read before.

Neither. I am a cheapist. sumo.gif
27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif Indeed... me too. Perhaps it's also the thrill of the hunt in looking for those missing slots and/ or bargains too? grin.gif

Neither. I am a readist. smirk.gif

I enjoy reading the archives and purchasing the occasional cool issue with stories I haven't read before.

27_laughing.gif Another passion of mine... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Best advice I can give you is make a list of your favorite books and the cost and then work on the top 10 that you want the most or feel like they will be the hardest to obtain. Problem with being a completionist is that as you spend months and lots of $$$ amassing a complete run, other books will catch your eye and draw you to them. I once had a decent slabbed TTA run going but decided to keep the choice pieces and sell the others so I could expand into GA books and other books that were top on my want list and I haven't looked back since. I find that I hold on to my books a lot longer if I buy with this kind of mindset because I likely will not be substituting my top books for others. Just my view on things but go with what makes you happy. thumbsup2.gif