• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

league of extraordinary gentlemen 5 the recalled one with the Marvel Ad. Have yet to find one.

Don't know how 'rare' it is.

Also the death issue of Miracleman (15). found one, but it is not in great shape. Also unsure how rare this is, although it is noted as a low distribution book.

LOEG #5 Marvel Ad is very tough to find. I've never seen one.

MM #15 isn't really that rare. I've had a few. It is pretty difficult in HG though. I've got one that is 9.4, with a shot at 9.6. It's alot easier to find than #23 or 24 though.

As far as MM#15 goes, I think alot of people that have that book are keeping it as the only way to read the story is with the actual pamphlets as it was only reprinted once in TPB, and you'd spend more buying the trades than putting together a complete run. If they ever do get thru the legal BS and the books reprinted again, some HG copies will surface for sale.

Agree 100% I think those books will come out if they ever reprint. Generally I hope they don't reprint, just cause it's kind of cool to see a title that does not go into endless TPB issues. I think that the vast number of reprints of things like Xmen make the back issues decline in value

HUMAN FLY #3 (Only one, 9.4 on the CGC census?! Though, I finally managed to score a strong prospect from W.A.C. -- we'll see!)

HUMAN FLY #15 (Seriously, another one w/ none in the census?! A tough one w/ a black cover, I've seen quite a few and all appear to be sub-par!)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #165 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG. Overpaid a bit for a 8.5 a while back, but it insulted everything my #101-#200 set was all about, so I had to dump it!)

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #160 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG -- am I just missing 'em? Besides, who wouldn't want the 1st Spider-Moblie appearance?!)

EARLY MARVEL TARZAN '77 SERIES (Early, HG copies just don't come up that often, or is it just me?)

------------------------------------------------------------

Some of these aren't worth slabbing, which is why you don't see them.

There seem to be plenty of the ASMs in the census.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #160 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG -- am I just missing 'em? Besides, who wouldn't want the 1st Spider-Moblie appearance?!)

I believe the Spider-Mobile first appeared in issue 130.

I believe the Spider-Mobile first appeared in issue 130.

You are correct!

77906321824.130.GIF

Awesome contributions gang. My new white whale is the ASM 184 All Detergent edition. I have compiled the list.

Red Raven #1

Spirit sections

Zap 2 - printing error

Strawberry Shortcake 7 - exist?

Hulk 202 NM/MT white pages

Famous Funnies Series 1

Big Book of Fun Comics

New Fun Comics 5

New Adventure Comics 26

Green Giant Comics

Blood is the Harvest

YellowJacket Comics

Supergear 1

$.35 variants - Scooby-Doo 1, Flintstones 1, Kid Colt Outlaw 218-220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Sgt. Fury 141, 142, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1, 2

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Human Fly 3, 15

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Buzzy 70

Date with Danger 5, 6

Voodoo Annual

Monster Crime

Crime Must Stop

Catman 20

This Magazine is Haunted 3

Bill Boyd 21

Fantastic Four 4 UK edition

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 5 w/ Marvel ad

Miracleman 15

More Fun Comics 73

GA Canadian Timely comics

ASM 184 All Detergent edition

I took me years to get a Perfect Crime #18. Me and OG are the only people I know that have one.

Never seen one one any dealer inventory list/catalog.

I took me years to get a Perfect Crime #18. Me and OG are the only people I know that have one.

Now I'm going to have to buy one just so I can join the club... and see what it actually looks like.

Awesome contributions gang. My new white whale is the ASM 184 All Detergent edition. I have compiled the list.

Dude, I have one for you. I just need that ASM 172 35 cent variant. Not even you high grade copy. cloud9.gif

Now I'm going to have to buy one just so I can join the club... and see what it actually looks like.

PerfectCrime18.jpg

I have seen the .75 cover price. There is also a .35 price variant these books as well. I am rather certain that FlyingDonut has copies of them.

Stl Comics has a thread about it on their forums.

hi.gif

what's FMV on these, just out of curiousity?

PerfectCrime18.jpg

27_laughing.gif...I remember seeing that book many moons ago...that kept the conversation going for weeks around here.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

PerfectCrime18.jpg

27_laughing.gif...I remember seeing that book many moons ago...that kept the conversation going for weeks around here.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Did the cop fire his gun as he is giving a warning? or is that a laser pointer on his revolver?

PerfectCrime18.jpg

27_laughing.gif

I remember Pov talking about that cover before... "Cokey!". He has a color print of it at work.

What comic seems to elude you and is impossible to find?

I've got 4 GA comics that I've been looking for of-and-on for almost two years (2 Timely/2 DC). They rarely show up for sale, and when they do, they aren't in the grade/price I want. I've decided to make them a priority. With luck it'll probably take another year or two to get the copies I want.

One of the hardest comics to find in my oun opinion was a comic that was not for kids. Treasure Chest printed an ADVANCED EDITION in '59 -'60 comic that was a promotional issue. It was to explain to the teachers and nuns how to get kids to subscribe to TC. These Advanced comics were not suppost to be given to any children. Very few turn up. Most were probably thrown out with the garbage by teachers since they weren't given to kids. It took me many years to find just one that had survived. There's rumored to be a #2 issue, but I have never found one yet.