• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

OK, so far the current list of rarest comics, as suggested from forum members, is:

$.35 variants - Scooby-Doo 1, Flintstones 1, Kid Colt Outlaw 218-220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Sgt. Fury 141, 142, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1, 2

A Date with Judy 16 Canadian

Advanced Edition 1

Amazing Spider-Man 184 All Detergent edition

Big Book of Fun Comics

Bill Boyd 21

Blood is the Harvest

Bringing Up Father 2 UK reprint

Buzzy 70

Catman 20

Congo Bill 7

Crime Must Stop

Date with Danger 5, 6

Famous Funnies Series 1

Fantastic Four 4 UK edition

GA Canadian Timely comics

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Green Giant Comics

Hulk 202 NM/MT white pages

Human Fly 3, 15

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 5 w/ Marvel ad

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Merry and Bright 1

Miracleman 15

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Monster Crime

More Fun Comics 73

New Adventure Comics 26

New Fun Comics 5

Red Raven #1

Spirit sections

Strawberry Shortcake 7 - exist?

Supergear 1

This Magazine is Haunted 3

Voodoo Annual

YellowJacket Comics

Zap 2 - printing error

I'd have to add Ian Levine's Superman-Bradman comic, custom made for some kids birthday party. It is probably the second rarest Superman book there is. Interesting news on the rarest one coming... grin.gif

For my own personal interest, I've been trying to find out if there are any Marvel Mystery Comics Annual 1 (Paratrooper Cover) The cover is shown in the Gerber Guide and listed as a SI 10. Never seen one for sale nor do I know anyone that owns one. I've said Action #2 was my grail, because it is realistic to own one. My paratrooper collection will never be complete because I honestly think I'll never get a copy of the Annual.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #160 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG -- am I just missing 'em? Besides, who wouldn't want the 1st Spider-Moblie appearance?!)

I believe the Spider-Mobile first appeared in issue 130.

DANG... I totally knew that too ~~ Duh! Maybe #160 was the last app? shy.gifcrazy.gif

For my own personal interest, I've been trying to find out if there are any Marvel Mystery Comics Annual 1 (Paratrooper Cover) The cover is shown in the Gerber Guide and listed as a SI 10. Never seen one for sale nor do I know anyone that owns one. I've said Action #2 was my grail, because it is realistic to own one. My paratrooper collection will never be complete because I honestly think I'll never get a copy of the Annual.

I believe there are a couple of guys in the Golden Age forum who have one.

Funny you mention that because I was actually going to email one of them to see if they want to sell it. cloud9.gif

gossip.gif It's Canadian. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #160 (Another tougher black cover; I watch this 'era' of ASM issues often and rarely see this one in a HG -- am I just missing 'em? Besides, who wouldn't want the 1st Spider-Moblie appearance?!)

DANG... I totally knew that too ~~ Duh! Maybe #160 was the last app? shy.gifcrazy.gif

thumbsup2.gif and good riddance. (Actually it was kind of fun watching the Torch teaching Spidey to drive)

thumbsup2.gif and good riddance. (Actually it was kind of fun watching the Torch teaching Spidey to drive)

Not a bad cover either....

01asm130.jpg

Funny you mention that because I was actually going to email one of them to see if they want to sell it. cloud9.gif

I can't afford it anyway, might as well go ahead... sorry.gif

I'd have to add Ian Levine's Superman-Bradman comic, custom made for some kids birthday party. It is probably the second rarest Superman book there is. Interesting news on the rarest one coming...

I just saw this and want to find out what you're referring to.

"Superman And The Great Cleveland Fire" is every bit as rare as the "Superman/Bradman Custom Comic". Is that what you were talking about ???

And as for Supergear, Al Stoltz's sheer greed makes me feel nauseous.

He already owned a copy. You'd think he'd have had the common human decency to let someone else try to have it, instead of hogging every copy that ever turns up. It's enough to make me give up collecting permanenty. Sick !!!!!!!!

And as for Supergear, Al Stoltz's sheer greed makes me feel nauseous.

He already owned a copy. You'd think he'd have had the common human decency to let someone else try to have it, instead of hogging every copy that ever turns up. It's enough to make me give up collecting permanenty. Sick !!!!!!!!

I like Al Stoltz-- confused-smiley-013.gif

Ian did you ever pick up that Detective Comics #43 that was a 15 cent variant, its the only such copy graded and it sold on Heritage last year but a few months back it resurfaced on Metro's site but was quicky sold before I could get a crack at it. The sticker looked to be removed and regraded the second time around, might have been bumped a grade if I recall correctly.

Tec43V.jpg

Ian did you ever pick up that Detective Comics #43 that was a 15 cent variant, its the only such copy graded and it sold on Heritage last year but a few months back it resurfaced on Metro's site but was quicky sold before I could get a crack at it. The sticker looked to be removed and regraded the second time around, might have been bumped a grade if I recall correctly.

It's not something I'd lose any sleep over. There was a similar More Fun but it turned out to be Canadian, as indeed this might be, or maybe just for sale there.

As for the Supergear, there was one on e-Bay that caused a private bidding war, when originally the seller was only expecting twenty dollars for a job lot of sixteen comics. When the money got silly, with two bids of $1520, I told the seller to shove it, as his greed was becoming pretty sick.

I hope you are not besmirching a dealer's good name and reputation by accusing him of foul play on an eBay auction (shilling) just because you didn't want to play with the big dogs. 893naughty-thumb.gif Everytime an auction for an item I want (like a Star wars 35 cent variant) goes into the stratosphere, I don't turn around and start calling them greedy because they have legitimate bidders who fight over it.

Did you ever consider that there may be several dealers out there who know about your degenerative obsession and decided to battle it out with each other, ultimately to deal it to you for whatever DC rareties you may be able to provide for them.

news.gif That's how eBay works gossip.gif

It's not something I'd lose any sleep over. There was a similar More Fun but it turned out to be Canadian, as indeed this might be, or maybe just for sale there.

As for the Supergear, there was one on e-Bay that caused a private bidding war, when originally the seller was only expecting twenty dollars for a job lot of sixteen comics. When the money got silly, with two bids of $1520, I told the seller to shove it, as his greed was becoming pretty sick.

I can assure you that Al Stoltz did not buy the last Supergear to be on eBay.

Ian, Darth has a point as its a free market system. I don't understand why you have to dump on a seller for making a nice profit on a book that more than just a handful of collectors would want? Maybe someone pointed out to him how rare/valuable it was and he wised up?

As for the Tec I do believe that it was printed for Canadian distribution but even Heritage was curious as to how it landed in the Crippen collection.

Wow. That took all of about a minute before you started bad-mouthing someone again. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Glad to have you back.

I can assure you that Al Stoltz did not buy the last Supergear to be on eBay.

I think one sold on May 21st 2007 with a Buy It Now of $1,500..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif