• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

Interesting .... I've been looking for the brown/brown ....is supposed to be brown/brown, but it appears ...green/brown. crazy.gif That's what makes ... much more rewarding .... Anyone have a pic ... to show the brown/brown...

27_laughing.gif Saw the post was about Big @$$ comics 1 and this is how I read this post 27_laughing.gif

Probably, the rarest books I have are The Funnies 30 and 36 (John Carter keys), but my ultimate White Whale would have to be Flash Gordon #5 by Harvey. Along with All-New 15, Boy Explorers 2, and Stuntman 3 it was a small-size B&W issue sent only to subscribers in 1951. The other three issues are all Gerber 9s and 10s and do occasionally come up for sale (Metro has on right now), but I have never seen a copy of the Flash Gordon -- not even an image. It is listed in OSPG, but not Gerber. For a long time I wondered if it even existed or if it was one of those fake Overstreet listings, until Bob Beerbolm confirmed that he had seen one at a con years ago. Not long after that I found the below image of the original cover art so it definately existed and now I know what it would have looked like, but I've still never seen an actual copy. I don't even have it in my wantlist, because I know that even if a copy ever did appear I would never be able to afford it.

FlashGordonHarvey05OA.jpg

OK, so far the current list of rarest comics, in alphabetic order, as suggested from forum members, is:

$.35 variants - Scooby-Doo 1, Flintstones 1, Kid Colt Outlaw 218-220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Sgt. Fury 141, 142, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1, 2

A Date with Judy 16 Canadian

Advanced Edition 1

Amazing Spider-Man 184 All Detergent edition

America Menaced

Big *spoon* Comics 1, first print

Big Book of Fun Comics

Bill Boyd 21

Blood is the Harvest

Bringing Up Father 2 UK reprint

Buzzy 70

Catman 20

Congo Bill 7

Crime Must Stop

Date with Danger 5, 6

Famous Funnies Series 1

Fantastic Four 4 UK edition

GA Canadian Timely comics

G.I. Combat 9

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Green Giant Comics

Headline 8

Hulk 202 NM/MT white pages

Human Fly 3, 15

Keen Detective Funnies 20

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 5 w/ Marvel ad

Marvel Mystery Comics Annual 1 - exist?

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Merry and Bright 1

Miracleman 15

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Monster Crime

More Fun Comics 73

National Comics 18

New Adventure Comics 26

New Fun Comics 5

Red Raven 1

Rudolph 1962/63 Annual

Spirit sections

Strange Tales 103

Strawberry Shortcake 7 - exist?

Supergear 1

This Magazine is Haunted 3

Voodoo Annual

Who is Next 5

YellowJacket Comics

Zap 2 - printing error

I was told yesterday, as a matter of fact, by a good friend who is a VERY knowledgeable Timely collector, that Marvel Mystery Annual 1, does exist, but it was only printed in Canada. First time I ever heard of it, but he knows what he's talking about.

Pic of Big 1?

786687-bigass1.jpg

893whatthe.gif whoa!! Is that yours rjpb? If not, who do I have to hunt down to get that?? gossip.gif

Yes -it is mine - but it's probably only about an 8.5 with cream pages- hold out for the NM wink.gif

Actually, you inquired about it when I first posted it on the Stoned Age Comix thread a couple years back -

so I can see how it has become your white whale, but I have to believe there is high grade copy out there waiting for you.

Other than it be 6D in price and issue 1 being indicated, I do not see anything odd. Am I missing something obvious?

I think that was it. British or Australian?

Let's call a spade a spade---In Ian's mind, only Ian's obsessions are valid.

So I guess I'll show my face again in another two years.

As usual, I don't exactly feel love and warmth from these boards.

Nothing changes.

Ian maybe if you stop acting like it was your birth right to acquire whatever book you are in dire need of at what you feel is appropriate pricing and then kick and scream like a little girl, throw out insults, etc when you don't get your way people would actually give a rats arse if you were gone for another two years. The fact that you almost have a complete DC collection is probably the only reason people tolerate you as much as they do. Two years and your still a jerk. hi.gif

How about Date with Danger #5 and #6 from 1954. These are the only produced comics with that title (they started with #5) and I have only seen one of each on ebay in the past 6 months (I bought the #5). Only 1 of each in the census too.

Finally got around to scanning these.

DateWithDanger5.jpg

DateWithDanger6.jpg

Just unbelievable blacks. Well done again AS. I've seen many more # 5 than I have # 6. Is that also your perception or is it because it's that much more of a striking cover and I tend to remember / notice more?

Thanks, Scrooge. I really don't know which is harder to find as I stopped looking after I got my copies which was a number of years back. I like the colors on the 5 cover but the design on the 6.