• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

I can assure you that Al Stoltz did not buy the last Supergear to be on eBay.

I think one sold on May 21st 2007 with a Buy It Now of $1,500..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And as for Supergear, Al Stoltz's sheer greed makes me feel nauseous.

He already owned a copy. You'd think he'd have had the common human decency to let someone else try to have it, instead of hogging every copy that ever turns up. It's enough to make me give up collecting permanenty. Sick !!!!!!!!

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Classic!

And as for Supergear, Al Stoltz's sheer greed makes me feel nauseous.

He already owned a copy. You'd think he'd have had the common human decency to let someone else try to have it, instead of hogging every copy that ever turns up. It's enough to make me give up collecting permanenty. Sick !!!!!!!!

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Classic!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ian did you ever pick up that Detective Comics #43 that was a 15 cent variant, its the only such copy graded and it sold on Heritage last year but a few months back it resurfaced on Metro's site but was quicky sold before I could get a crack at it. The sticker looked to be removed and regraded the second time around, might have been bumped a grade if I recall correctly.

I have a copy. It is unslabbed.

It's not something I'd lose any sleep over. There was a similar More Fun but it turned out to be Canadian, as indeed this might be, or maybe just for sale there.

Nope, it's all American.

My personal Moby is Headline #8 (I'd be happy with a VG) - not super rare - I've allowed myself to be outbid a few times, and have passed on some decidedly low grade copies - but as other grails have been acquired it has made its way to the top of my want list. I haven't seen one on ebay for a while now, so I figure it is overdue.

Just getting caught up on this thread, but I see someone had requested a scan of Who Is Next. Great book, with one of Alex Toth's finest efforts "The Crushed Gardenia" inside ( this was reprinted in one of the Eclipse Seduction of the Innocent comics back in the 80s). The whole book is pretty cool, and there are three stories about madmen who strangle women - one of the more off-beat pre-code crime books for sure. Well worth picking up.

win.jpg

one of Alex Toth's finest efforts "The Crushed Gardenia"

cloud9.gif

Ian did you ever pick up that Detective Comics #43 that was a 15 cent variant, its the only such copy graded and it sold on Heritage last year but a few months back it resurfaced on Metro's site but was quicky sold before I could get a crack at it. The sticker looked to be removed and regraded the second time around, might have been bumped a grade if I recall correctly.

I have a copy. It is unslabbed.

For sale?

Back when I was chasing Top Cow stuff, try as I may, I could never come across a Tomb Raider # 5 Dynamic Forces "remarked" variant cover with an Lara Croft head sketch by Andy Park. It was in the Wizard guide for a measly $40; I finally stopped chasing and just chalked it up as a typical Wizard misprint/mistranslation

It's amazing how hard some modern sets are tom put together.

A couple of years ago i decided to collect the 75 comics needed to complete the full set of everything the publisher 'Speakeasy' decided to put out. I am still missing 5 to complete the set and have never been able to even establish if one of those was ever released or not.

Earl.

In twenty-five years of looking, I have only seen two copies of America Menaced (1950). I acquired one and shrunken head has the other copy. Not a high demand book, but very rare, in my opinion.

On my B list - and I've never seen a copy for sale.

I think I mis-understood this thread. The comics I listed are some of the rarest I personally own, I never meant to claim they are particularly rare in general terms.

Earl.

I think this thread is whatever we want to make it.

Personally, I like the diversity in it. From the Goldedn Age issues that just didn't stand the test of time, to the uber-rare low print run moderns, to the oddball books in between, this thread has a little of everything. 893applaud-thumb.gif

How about National Comics # 18....Pearl Harbor attacked story ( before actual event) I been watching 4 one on e-bay/sites ect. for over a year and havent seen any decent copies. I actually got a nice deal on a fair/poor copy recently, but thats the only one ive ever seen 4 sale. The Census shows 3 total, a 9.6, 9.2, and a restored 4.0. Im guessing the two high grade copies are Pedigrees. I wonder how many people have Raw copies? And what one might go for in nice shape, as im sure the OS price is low...anyone got a copy or scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

-- Joe