• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

Sorry Earl! I botched thie issue number. I have the one you linked to. If I'm using this site though, I think this is the one: 4C Dynamic Forces Cover Sketch ( it also has the gold foil logo and possibly an additional round gold "stamp" in the bottom right corner.) I distinctly remember the cover as an overhead view of Lara looking up, resting on foliage (in a tree?) of some sort) It is supposedly a ltd series of 49 copies made

Here is the link on that site:

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?comicTableID=123263

I checked what that member, finar, was selling for $75 under that issue, but there was no scan confused-smiley-013.gif He may actually have it, for all I know.

Sorry Earl! I botched thie issue number. I have the one you linked to. If I'm using this site though, I think this is the one: 4C Dynamic Forces Cover Sketch ( it also has the gold foil logo and possibly an additional round gold "stamp" in the bottom right corner.) I distinctly remember the cover as an overhead view of Lara looking up, resting on foliage (in a tree?) of some sort) It is supposedly a ltd series of 49 copies made

I checked what that member, finar, was selling for $75 under that issue, but there was no scan confused-smiley-013.gif He may actually have it, for all I know.

138984.jpg

Sketch by Jae Lee, not Andy Park?

The unsketched DF version is on Atomic Avenue for $4.00

http://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/titledetail.aspx?TitleID=11513

How about National Comics # 18....Pearl Harbor attacked story ( before actual event) I been watching 4 one on e-bay/sites ect. for over a year and havent seen any decent copies. I actually got a nice deal on a fair/poor copy recently, but thats the only one ive ever seen 4 sale. The Census shows 3 total, a 9.6, 9.2, and a restored 4.0. Im guessing the two high grade copies are Pedigrees. I wonder how many people have Raw copies? And what one might go for in nice shape, as im sure the OS price is low...anyone got a copy or scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

-- Joe

I've got one with a ton of amature restoration. Paid well over guide for it. However, I have seen a couple every now and then at Heritage (IIRC).

138984.jpg

Sketch by Jae Lee, not Andy Park?

The unsketched DF version is on Atomic Avenue for $4.00

http://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/titledetail.aspx?TitleID=11513

That's it Shin! 893applaud-thumb.gif I've never seen one for sale. I'll have to check out this Atomic Avenue.com for kicks...

Did you ever consider that there may be several dealers out there who know about your degenerative obsession and decided to battle it out with each other, ultimately to deal it to you for whatever DC rareties you may be able to provide for them.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to you in particular, as you and a couple of others are the reason I haven't regularly posted on here for over two years now.

I will not, absolutely will not, pay such an obscene amount for a four page pamphlet that Overstreet, until recently, only listed at ten dollars.

If Flying Donut wants to pay $1520 for it, more fool him. He'll never resell it at that price to anyone anywhere.

No-one will ever rip me off for those kind of prices again. I have every DC ever made, and Supergear is just an illegal pirate pamphlet that the makers had to withdraw becasue DC sued them.

Plus the *spoon* selling it gave me a beautiful very high definition scan, something Al Stoltz would never have given me, for which I paid the princely sum of zero, and considering it's a pirate pamphlet in the first place, that was all I ever needed, so I'm a happy bunny now.

Supergear is the comic equivalent of The Emperors New Clothes.

If Flying Donut wants to pay $1520 for it, more fool him. He'll never resell it at that price to anyone anywhere.

Well, I've already been offered significantly more than I paid for it. Overstreet now lists it for $365, which is still ludicrously low.Overstreet on this book (and several others) is just wrong. If you can find one for $365, more power to you.

I'd love to see what it would get on a truly open market. I have referred to Supergear several times as a coelacanth, which I believe is an apt description. An equivalent is the New Adventure 26, which was listed for years in the $500 range, and now has gone to the chimeric "prices vary widely on this book."

I'm not entirely sure what your issue is with this. I've known Al Stoltz for almost 20 years ( 893whatthe.gif) and have always felt he is one of the fairer dealers around. Are his prices high? Yes and no. Al is a businessman and he's out to make a living. If you don't want to pay Al's price for something, don't, but I don't see how you can rip him for setting a price.

Ian, I have been one of your strongest defenders on this board, and have, at many occasions, applauded you for the completion of what I believe is a unique feat. That being said, your continual ripping of Al, and others who don't/won't sell you something for what you believe is an appropriate price makes you look small. I hope that we can come to agreement again, as I value your opinion on things DC. flowerred.gif

How polite, FD.

Let's call a spade a spade---In Ian's mind, only Ian's obsessions are valid. He only talks about what he wants, and if there's something potentially in it for him. When he wants something, he has no problem being rude, and risking offending others. God forbid anyone else wants the same thing, or wants him to pay a price commensurate with the significance he and a few others actually place on it.

Al Stolz is one of the fairer dealers around. When I was struggling through grad school and had little money, Al always cut me a very fair deal even though I only bought one or two books a show from him. I have dozen's of gorgeous books in my collection that came from Al. Al has been interested in this book for almost 20 years (my math may be off, a bit). He worked his butt off to find a copy, handing out fliers at every show, and ceaselessly asking around for it. If he wants to buy every copy he can find because he's interested in the book and finds it a challenge, the more power to him. You might not see this as fair, Ian, but there's nothing wrong with this. There are plenty of collectors who hoard particular books.

By the way, I find it laughable that Ian now chooses to mock a book he's been talking about for well over a year. He must really not care about it.

How polite, FD.

Let's call a spade a spade---In Ian's mind, only Ian's obsessions are valid. He only talks about what he wants, and if there's something potentially in it for him. When he wants something, he has no problem being rude, and risking offending others. God forbid anyone else wants the same thing, or wants him to pay a price commensurate with the significance he and a few others actually place on it.

Al Stolz is one of the fairer dealers around. When I was struggling through grad school and had little money, Al always cut me a very fair deal even though I only bought one or two books a show from him. I have dozen's of gorgeous books in my collection that came from Al. Al has been interested in this book for almost 20 years (my math may be off, a bit). He worked his butt off to find a copy, handing out fliers at every show, and ceaselessly asking around for it. If he wants to buy every copy he can find because he's interested in the book and finds it a challenge, the more power to him. You might not see this as fair, Ian, but there's nothing wrong with this. There are plenty of collectors who hoard particular books.

By the way, I find it laughable that Ian now chooses to mock a book he's been talking about for well over a year. He must really not care about it.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Sure wish Al would start coming down to Heroes Con again... frown.gif

Let's call a spade a spade---In Ian's mind, only Ian's obsessions are valid.

So I guess I'll show my face again in another two years.

As usual, I don't exactly feel love and warmth from these boards.

Nothing changes.

Let's call a spade a spade---In Ian's mind, only Ian's obsessions are valid.

So I guess I'll show my face again in another two years.

As usual, I don't exactly feel love and warmth from these boards.

Nothing changes.

Boo hoo

Ian did you ever pick up that Detective Comics #43 that was a 15 cent variant, its the only such copy graded and it sold on Heritage last year but a few months back it resurfaced on Metro's site but was quicky sold before I could get a crack at it. The sticker looked to be removed and regraded the second time around, might have been bumped a grade if I recall correctly.

Tec43V.jpg

That is definately a $0.15 Canadian variant. My buddy Andy Brast at the LCS Carry On Comics in Waterloo, Ontario sold the only known existing Canadian $0.15 price variant copy of Batman #2 which would have been roughly the same era. It has since been noted in the OSPG....And since that 'Tec is a "D" copy it originated from Montreal, correct? These are different than the later GA Canadian Variants are they not, which were different than the originals and only fetch about 1/2 guide?

R.

It was a pamphlet put out by Jacobs Sporting Goods in 1976, based in Boulder, CO (not Cleveland, as stated in the Guide). They had to pull it, very few were released.

Al Stoltz looked for one of these for at least 15 years. This is only the second one I've ever seen, with his being the other one. Ian will probably disagree, but I believe this is the rarest of all DC books, and most definitely the rarest since 1945. A Gerber 10.5 at least.

What do you mean by pirate? Did someone other than DC publish it?

I have to agree with the other two Spider-Man completists.

Odd, yes; rare, no doubt.

Not a DC book.

A book containing Superman, sure, but not a DC.

I mean, heck, using the above logic, there's a lot of Tijuana bibles out there I need to track down for Spider-Man rarities.

No, its a DC. Is copyrighted National Periodical Publications, 1976, so it is a DC. I think the problem was the company changed the logo or something.

The Gerber 10.5 is a reference to the Gerber SI list. Gerber 10s are books with estimated less than 10 to exist. In 15 years of searching, Al Stoltz was able to find one, this is the other. That's 2.