• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest comics and white whales - What are they?

188 posts in this topic

No, its a DC. Is copyrighted National Periodical Publications, 1976, so it is a DC. I think the problem was the company changed the logo or something.

The Gerber 10.5 is a reference to the Gerber SI list. Gerber 10s are books with estimated less than 10 to exist. In 15 years of searching, Al Stoltz was able to find one, this is the other. That's 2.

but is it a pirated DC book?

I mean, I can find Cerebus 1 counterfeits with Aardvark press on them, but trust me, Dave Sim didn't sanction them.

Same with Turtles 1 counterfeits. Have the "thanks" to Uncle Eastman and everything, but doeasn't make them a Mirage book.

You get my point. And I am sincerely asking; I don't know. But if it's a pirated book, whether it says DC or not on it makes no difference. It still wouldn't be a DC book.

Simple question- did DC publish this book?

No, its a DC. Is copyrighted National Periodical Publications, 1976, so it is a DC. I think the problem was the company changed the logo or something.

The Gerber 10.5 is a reference to the Gerber SI list. Gerber 10s are books with estimated less than 10 to exist. In 15 years of searching, Al Stoltz was able to find one, this is the other. That's 2.

but is it a pirated DC book?

I mean, I can find Cerebus 1 counterfeits with Aardvark press on them, but trust me, Dave Sim didn't sanction them.

Same with Turtles 1 counterfeits. Have the "thanks" to Uncle Eastman and everything, but doeasn't make them a Mirage book.

You get my point. And I am sincerely asking; I don't know. But if it's a pirated book, whether it says DC or not on it makes no difference. It still wouldn't be a DC book.

Simple question- did DC publish this book?

I believe they did. The only time I've ever heard it called "pirated" was from Ian Levine, who is probably bitter that he didn't get this one after badgering the seller.

well no offense, FD, but what I see is belief/opinion on one side of the aisle, and belief/opinion on the other, both with strong motivations to be right (if you're right, you've got a two of a kind rarity, especially to someone in Ian's position. If Ian is right, you've got little more than bubkis. Course, is you're right, Ian's got squat too. No more complete collection.)

I figure if I'm you or him, I'm calling Time Warner/DC's editorial/historian offices.

But I'd be pretty humble until I found out, one way or the other, and I'd damn sure not act as if it were a foregone conclusion one way or the other.

and just so we're clear, Im really not trying to bust your balls, FD. Whether or not it was officially a DC book or not, and I'm not the guy deciding that, you still have an insanely rare Superman collectible, and anyone whose interested in him would be a fool not to be interested.

popcorn.gif

you need to sell me a run of those 24 Spidey newspaper editions for 9.99, since your last ones didn't sell for that on Ebay. poke2.gif

PM sent.

poke2.gifpoke2.gif

popcorn.gif

Pal Paid.

poke2.gifpoke2.gifpoke2.gif

OK, so far the current list of rarest comics, as suggested from forum members, is:

$.35 variants - Scooby-Doo 1, Flintstones 1, Kid Colt Outlaw 218-220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Sgt. Fury 141, 142, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1, 2

A Date with Judy 16 Canadian

Advanced Edition 1

Amazing Spider-Man 184 All Detergent edition

Big Book of Fun Comics

Bill Boyd 21

Blood is the Harvest

Bringing Up Father 2 UK reprint

Buzzy 70

Catman 20

Congo Bill 7

Crime Must Stop

Date with Danger 5, 6

Famous Funnies Series 1

Fantastic Four 4 UK edition

GA Canadian Timely comics

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Green Giant Comics

Hulk 202 NM/MT white pages

Human Fly 3, 15

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 5 w/ Marvel ad

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Merry and Bright 1

Miracleman 15

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Monster Crime

More Fun Comics 73

New Adventure Comics 26

New Fun Comics 5

Red Raven #1

Spirit sections

Strawberry Shortcake 7 - exist?

Supergear 1

This Magazine is Haunted 3

Voodoo Annual

YellowJacket Comics

Zap 2 - printing error

Is the Rudolph 1962/63 annual rare enough to be on this list?

OK, so far the current list of rarest comics, as suggested from forum members, is:

$.35 variants - Scooby-Doo 1, Flintstones 1, Kid Colt Outlaw 218-220, Rawhide Kid 140, 141, Sgt. Fury 141, 142, Amethyst Princess of Gemworld 1, 2

Advanced Edition 1

Big Book of Fun Comics

Bill Boyd 21

Blood is the Harvest

Buzzy 70

Catman 20

Congo Bill 7

Crime Must Stop

Date with Danger 5, 6

Famous Funnies Series 1

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Green Giant Comics

Human Fly 3, 15

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Merry and Bright 1

Miracleman 15

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Monster Crime

More Fun Comics 73

New Adventure Comics 26

New Fun Comics 5

Red Raven #1

Spirit sections

Supergear 1

Voodoo Annual

YellowJacket Comics

Zap 2 - printing error

Is the Rudolph 1962/63 annual rare enough to be on this list?

Many of these books are rare only in comparison to other books from the same run, era or genre - others are rare in absolute terms, I'll leave it to my fellow board members to make a specific case for a given book - but I'm guessing the Rudolph annual is rare in relation to other DC Annuals from the same era.

As always - demand plays a role in perceived rarity as well.

From my own experience and what I've read - Catman #20 is not even the rarest book in the run, but it is far from common and has extremely high demand due to the classic Catman strangles Hitler cover, so copies tend not to languish in dealer stock or elsewhere, adding to perception of scarcity.

Other books can be perceived as rare for the opposite reason - they are very low demand, and gain status as a rare book due to perhaps one person's quest to acquire it. Once again - the book is evidently not common - but random chance may be at play when a book like Buzzy #70 becomes one of the last books a given DC collector finds. In absolute terms it may not even be the scarcest book in the run, and Ian may have been fortunate enough to pick up whatever issue is years ago without even realizing it's actual rarity.

The Zap Comix 2 discussed in this thread isn't an error, but what ought to be regarded as a first print.

CGC grades usually denote defects similar to the Zap Comix 2 using the term "manufactured" - in this case , the interior pages are denoted as being manufactured with mis-cut pages. In the case of the Zap Comix 2, the interior pages were realigned, and all future printings which reflected the properly aligned Head First strip are regarded as later printings.

The image above attached in this thread came from one of my copies and was a tell I came up with and have been using for nearly a decade. I elaborated on its history in this thread (about halfway down) for those of you who care to know more about it.

My white whale, sort of, is Big 1, first print (with the white box lower right corner). I've had plenty of opportunities to buy mid and low grade copies over the years, but have been stuck on having a NM copy for some time and haven't been able to turn one up.

OK, so far the current list of rarest comics, in alphabetic order, as suggested from forum members, is:

Advanced Edition 1

America Menaced

Big *spoon* Comics 1, first print

Big Book of Fun Comics

Bill Boyd 21

Blood is the Harvest

Buzzy 70

Catman 20

Congo Bill 7

Crime Must Stop

Date with Danger 5, 6

Famous Funnies Series 1

G.I. Combat 9

Gobbledygook 1 and 2

Green Giant Comics

Headline 8

Human Fly 3, 15

Keen Detective Funnies 20

Marvel Mystery Comics Annual 1 - exist?

Marvel Tarzan '77 series

Merry and Bright 1

Miracleman 15

Miracleman 3D 2D edition

Monster Crime

More Fun Comics 73

National Comics 18

New Adventure Comics 26

New Fun Comics 5

Red Raven 1

Rudolph 1962/63 Annual

Spirit sections

Strange Tales 103

Supergear 1

Voodoo Annual

Who is Next 5

YellowJacket Comics

Zap 2 - printing error

hello all..

add Whiz 17 and Funny Stuff 34...in almost 2 years of looking, have never see either issue for sale, anywhere, at any price

gator

Interesting with the pic. of Big *spoon* #1. I've been looking for the brown/brown covers because the 2nd print is supposed to be brown/brown, but it appears that the 1st print is green/brown. That's what makes collecting UG's a much more rewarding challenge than non-UG's. Anyone have a pic. of BA #1 (2nd print) to show the brown/brown variances?

Interesting with the pic. of Big *spoon* #1. I've been looking for the brown/brown covers because the 2nd print is supposed to be brown/brown, but it appears that the 1st print is green/brown. That's what makes collecting UG's a much more rewarding challenge than non-UG's. Anyone have a pic. of BA #1 (2nd print) to show the brown/brown variances?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-*spoon*-Comics-1...VQQcmdZViewItem