• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

So, the "Wows" in these threads do confuse me. confused.gif If it's just a matter of how simple it is to get these results, that also has been discussed many times before on these boards. I could probably crumple up a perfectly good book, then stack a bunch of Ecylopedia Britanica's on top of it and show you a flatter book after a couple days, but what's the mystery there?

Speaking for myself, i found it interesting because i've never seen before and after pics... thats all. confused-smiley-013.gif

I too have never seen before and after pics.

It's informative 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think thats the reason it was started. And without the bickering I've seen in some of the other threads

Wow, a little extreme comparing pressing to steroid use dontcha think confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess I could ask you the same as to why you feel threatened or think that there is some evil hidden agenda from this experiment.

Personally, I found it entertaining and somewhat informitive, nothing more, nothing less.

....in today's market a collector seeing damage like that can only assume it was pressed.

That's assuming that they even know what pressing is, and that's a big assumption.

They would probably pass this by and be more than happy to buy the wavy copy as it proves no pressing has occurred...

It may prove that no pressing has occurred on the spine, but it could have had several waves and non color breaking bends pressed out of other areas and you, I, or anyone else would have no idea unless it's disclosed by the seller, assuming he knows.

Wow, a little extreme comparing pressing to steroid use dontcha think confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess I could ask you the same as to why you feel threatened or think that there is some evil hidden agenda from this experiment.

Personally, I found it entertaining and somewhat informitive, nothing more, nothing less.

Not extreme comparison at all in the context I was comparing them in. I just find both to produce obvious effects and both work to enhance the subject exposed to them. Wasn't comparing anything to "evil".

I also don't feel threatened at all by these experiments. What did you find "entertaining" btw?

I find the results to be quite obvious and the conclusions of the experiment to be very common sense logical. It's like some people here are amazed that applying pressure to a bent up book flattens it out. 27_laughing.gif What's the great revelation here that I'm missing?

I find the results to be quite obvious and the conclusions of the experiment to be very common sense logical. It's like some people here are amazed that applying pressure to a bent up book flattens it out. 27_laughing.gif What's the great revelation here that I'm missing?
I put a Bronze Spiderman cover on a Bronze Green Lantern issue and it immediately looked better. yay.gif

I personally have never seen before and after pics so yes to me it was sort of entertaining. I hear about pressing, and it was nice to see how it was done, even crudely by a non-pro.

As for your extreme analogy, I was referring to that I have never neen anyone suffer or have health issues from a pressed book, but have heard of people dying from steroid abuse, so yes I thought it was pretty extreme comparison.

I put a Bronze Spiderman cover on a Bronze Green Lantern issue and it immediately looked better. yay.gif
27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I personally have never seen before and after pics so yes to me it was sort of entertaining. I hear about pressing, and it was nice to see how it was done, even crudely by a non-pro.

As for your extreme analogy, I was referring to that I have never neen anyone suffer or have health issues from a pressed book, but have heard of people dying from steroid abuse, so yes I thought it was pretty extreme comparison.

Nik, you're still missing my point. I was comparing the results of the enhancement appearence. It would be like taking a before and after picture of a skinny guy who uses steroids and then being amazed that he got bigger.

I never talked about "evils", "health", or "death", so maybe if you'd quit adding imagined suppositions to my thoughts, it'd make more sense. makepoint.gif

Hi John, I think what you are seeing is the fascination people have with something that is relatively unknown to them.

Keep in mind a portion of the new members(or old ones for that matter) here have not seen all the threads you and I might have. So these types of pictorial threads help provide visual examples of something they have only heard about in the various threads. And doesnt matter that it may follow common logic.

In the end it serves only as eye candy, but does display a few of the easiest forms of pressing and the effects it can have on a comic. And might even extol the virtues of professional pressing.

It was a fun couple of threads,so have fun willya?

makepoint.gif

Ze-

Nik, you're still missing my point. I was comparing the results of the enhancement appearence. It would be like taking a before and after picture of a skinny guy who uses steroids and then being amazed that he got bigger.

I never talked about "evils", "health", or "death", so maybe if you'd quit adding imagined suppositions to my thoughts, it'd make more sense. makepoint.gif

This thread obviously serves no purpose to you, why are you here pointing that out? I got it after the first lines and I think at least 3 or 4 people answered why everyone is 'wowed.' It is informative to me, because unlike your highness, I had never seen what a difference amateur pressing can make, let alone professional. Now just lay off and let me enjoy these 'experiments' without getting annoyed at the all knowing explaining what pressing something does. thumbsup2.gif

Hi John, I think what you are seeing is the fascination people have with something that is relatively unknown to them.

Keep in mind a portion of the new members(or old ones for that matter) here have not seen all the threads you and I might have. So these types of pictorial threads help provide visual examples of something they have only heard about in the various threads. And doesnt matter that it may follow common logic.

In the end it serves only as eye candy, but does display a few of the easiest forms of pressing and the effects it can have on a comic. And might even extol the virtues of professional pressing.

It was a fun couple of threads,so have fun willya?

makepoint.gif

Ze-

I guess you're right Kenny.

Here's a link that might interest those "not in the know" that should offer some insight to pressing (by the master himself) along with some pics of results...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

Maybe, but you are missing my point.

A forumite comes here and shows results of a book from pressing, nothing more.

You respond by saying why are people amazed and using steroids as an analogy.

I know a human body will show results from steroids, and I have heard of pressing taking small defects out of a book.

I just thought your analogy was a bit extreme and trying to compare pressing to steroid use is a little out of whack in my opinion flowerred.gif

This thread obviously serves no purpose to you, why are you here pointing that out? I got it after the first lines and I think at least 3 or 4 people answered why everyone is 'wowed.' It is informative to me, because unlike your highness, I had never seen what a difference amateur pressing can make, let alone professional. Now just lay off and let me enjoy these 'experiments' without getting annoyed at the all knowing explaining what pressing something does. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I'm really enjoying these threads also. I'm not really "wowed" by the results but am finding it really interesting. So much has been made on these boards about pros/cons of pressing, it's fun to just see someone doing the work in a fun, experimental capacity. After all the hooplah surrounding this topic, it's nice to step away from the ethics debate and see that all this talk is about something soooo simple - just applying some heat and weight to old bound paper.

I can relate a lot more to fellow curious amateurs doing this in the spirit of learning than to the experienced professionals whose primary goal is to make money by doing these procedures. Keep on doing the work guys! I might give a couple cheapy books a try to just to have fun. And ya know, I really don't care if my X-Force 16 looks pressed or gets a hole burned in it - I'll get a much more valuable take on this hobby by working with it than by keeping it oh so precious in a box. tongue.gif

-Bob

The results HERE are rather interesting.

It would be interesting to see if there is any change now that people see the before and after pics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, it would APPEAR that the majority of collectors don't really mind that a book has been pressed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is that the people who are buying the HG slabs (me included) could care less if it has been pressed! As long as the book is in a nice fancy blue label, who cares? THAT is what it boils down to! When buying and paying premiums for HG slabs; do you seriously think people are doing it for the comic itself? Or are they doing it for the "investment" purposes??? I personally think it is the latter of the two.

And before the "right" chimes in: this is my opinion and I am entitled to it! sumo.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

The results HERE are rather interesting.

It would be interesting to see if there is any change now that people see the before and after pics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, it would APPEAR that the majority of collectors don't really mind that a book has been pressed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is that the people who are buying the HG slabs (me included) could care less if it has been pressed! As long as the book is in a nice fancy blue label, who cares? THAT is what it boils down to! When buying and paying premiums for HG slabs; do you seriously think people are doing it for the comic itself? Or are they doing it for the "investment" purposes??? I personally think it is the latter of the two.

And before the "right" chimes in: this is my opinion and I am entitled to it! sumo.gif

John thumbsup2.gif

You are entilted to your opinion, but I am one of those HG collectors that do care and does not fall into your generalization.