• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: OT Posts

142 posts in this topic

Settle down there big guy crazy.gif

I see your point and I also see the point others are making. Life would be very dull without an occassional OT post here and there. Dont know about you but if I had to discuss comics only 24/7 that would get old pretty fast confused-smiley-013.gif

The thing is that this IS a community. Hell, I stopped collecting over a year ago. I don't read them or buy new ones and half my collection is already sold.

But I still come here to the various comics section because it IS a community. I know a lot of the folks here, have met, talked on the phone and emailed/pmd dozens of them. So even though I am no longer a collector I still come by for the people I know.

I have made a few posts in the WC. Very different place. I don't really like the WC. It is the difference between attending a CGC Forum Dinner and attending the Amercian Dental Association Dinner as the guest of a friend.

I really do not understand what is so difficult about having an OT folder within CGC. If people don;t care about it they just leave it alone. But I bet there would be a surprising amount of interest in it.

Some folks may say "This is a comic book message board. There is no place for OT. I come here to read and post about comic books." Well, this would make it easier for them since there would be NO OT posts at all in any of the comic areas, rather than having te ocassional OT post sitting in Comics general.

Should such an OT place come into being, it should be named appropriately, reflecting the kind of use it would have and the sense of community and belonging it engenders. I vote for The Drunk Tank.

i vote for the Idi0t box. poke2.gif

• Administrator
The only thing I find confusing is the selection of which OT posts are allowed or removed. I could see where it might be taken somewhat personally for someone to post an OT post only to have it wiped rather quickly while others remain and even get posted afterwards with no attention.

There is no exact science. If there aren't many popping up, we tend to ignore them. When the trend of OT posts gets too numerous, we run a quick skim through the threads and move a bunch. If your OT post was this week as part of a trend of too many, you'll get swept. If it was an isolated incidence on a mostly on-topic week, it might get left.

Also, some topics are more clearly way off topic than others. For example, a post about the TV show heros, while not technically about comic books is pretty clearly sort of comic book related through the super hero concept. A post about Battlestar Galactica... ok... not very comic booky but a pretty good bet to be of interest to the crowd.

A post about flying model airplanes... water cooler.

Essentially it's a process left to expediency and based on the general feel among the participants and moderators of whether CG is feeling too off topic. We will not be refining that process as it wouldn't be worth the time consumption. Please just utilize common sense and try to keep things generally on topic. Thanks.

The only thing I find confusing is the selection of which OT posts are allowed or removed. I could see where it might be taken somewhat personally for someone to post an OT post only to have it wiped rather quickly while others remain and even get posted afterwards with no attention.

There is no exact science. If there aren't many popping up, we tend to ignore them. When the trend of OT posts gets too numerous, we run a quick skim through the threads and move a bunch. If your OT post was this week as part of a trend of too many, you'll get swept. If it was an isolated incidence on a mostly on-topic week, it might get left.

Also, some topics are more clearly way off topic than others. For example, a post about the TV show heros, while not technically about comic books is pretty clearly sort of comic book related through the super hero concept. A post about Battlestar Galactica... ok... not very comic booky but a pretty good bet to be of interest to the crowd.

Essentially it's a process left to expediency and based on the general feel among the participants and moderators of whether CG is feeling too off topic. We will not be refining that process as it wouldn't be worth the time consumption. Please just utilize common sense and try to keep things generally on topic. Thanks.

headbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Sounds good. Thanks Arch. thumbsup2.gif

I don't even know what the Water Cooler is. I'm assuming it's an OT thread on the Collectors' Society forums, outside of the CGC forums? I for one wouldn't go there. I have the CGC forums saved as a favorite, and I post within this forum. We have a tight knit group of friends here, who have a common interest in comics. Most of us have met eachother at forum dinners and such, and we like to discuss things among ourselves. Sure, going to the WC is just a click away, but so is visiting an OT forum on a plethora of other forums outside of this one, which are full of people we don't know. Anandtech.com has a very active OT board. You should try there too.

Yo Arch! I see a carreer as a Presidiential Press Secretary in your future! hi.gif

One of the things that's slightly confusing me is all this talk of having to 'go to the Water Cooler' and discussing issues with 'strangers'?

Are we talking a journey of many miles here?

Or perhaps merely having to change computers?

Or maybe even simply logging out, going to another site and logging in there?

Nah, none of that...all we have to do is click a button...as simple as going from one page of this thread to the next.

And this is a problem because...? confused-smiley-013.gif

just being around TJ and Thing crazy.gifinsane.gif

Just 'cause McDonald's employs cretins doesn't stop folk going there... insane.gif

true, but the McEmployees usually don't barge in with stupid or ignorant comments and derail every meal into a giant :headdesk: event.

One of the things that's slightly confusing me is all this talk of having to 'go to the Water Cooler' and discussing issues with 'strangers'?

Are we talking a journey of many miles here?

Or perhaps merely having to change computers?

Or maybe even simply logging out, going to another site and logging in there?

Nah, none of that...all we have to do is click a button...as simple as going from one page of this thread to the next.

And this is a problem because...? confused-smiley-013.gif

just being around TJ and Thing crazy.gifinsane.gif

Just 'cause McDonald's employs cretins doesn't stop folk going there... insane.gif

true, but the McEmployees usually don't barge in with stupid or ignorant comments and derail every meal into a giant :headdesk: event.

Okay, okay! We get it! The comic collectors here are being victimized by the savage brutality of TJ and The Thing. Can you all stop crying about it now? It's a little embarassing to those of us who can communicate with the outside world and are associated with you by our presence here.

Now, if only a hero would rise up and mount an all-out shill assault on the coinees and their precious upstairs real estate... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems simple to me: OT posts go to the WC. I have been posting in the WC for nearly a year now - its no big deal. In fact, the more comic people that post there, the better it will be. thumbsup2.gif

Seems simple to me: OT posts go to the WC. I have been posting in the WC for nearly a year now - its no big deal. In fact, the more comic people that post there, the better it will be. thumbsup2.gif

Ill still post videos of flying squirrels.

news.gif

I love this place.

I got this message from cgcmod yesterday.

If you wish to continue posting here, it's advised that you follow the board policies outlined in the board rules. Viewable in this link.

Cease posting off-topic threads where they do not belong.

I don't know who cgcmod is but he plays the tough-guy really well.

So I PM'd Kevin about where I could post OT threads.

This was his response.

The water cooler. Unfortunately you've lost your privileges to post there. Therefore you don't have a place to post them. So don't.

So now I am restricted from making OT posts.

27_laughing.gif

I love this place.

The water cooler. Unfortunately you've lost your privileges to post there. Therefore you don't have a place to post them. So don't.

27_laughing.gif

What do you have to do to lose posting privileges in the Water Cooler? confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

What do you have to do to lose posting privileges in the Water Cooler? confused-smiley-013.gif

Disagree with the coinees. Kevin is a coinee and backs them up.

27_laughing.gif

Disagree with the coinees. Kevin is a coinee and backs them up.

It's for the best. I hear that it's total anarchy up there with coinees wearing the pelts and drinking the pureed brains of vanquished comic collectors who made the mistake of wandering up there.

Suffice it to say that the coinees up there are kept quite warm but are dying of thirst.

Okay, okay! We get it! The comic collectors here are being victimized by the savage brutality of TJ and The Thing. Can you all stop crying about it now? It's a little embarassing to those of us who can communicate with the outside world and are associated with you by our presence here.

Thing and TJ are pushovers, and the worst that will happen is they may call you a ComicGeek. Not that scary. tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Now, if only a hero would rise up and mount an all-out shill assault on the coinees and their precious upstairs real estate... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
I nominate deathlok. 893applaud-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif