• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: OT Posts

142 posts in this topic

• Administrator

This is just a reminder that while there is considerable lee-way on what's allowed in comics general, including the occasional OT post, we do need to keep a reasonable limit on non-comic related posts. This is less a carved in stone limit than a general feel for the % of OT content.

The water cooler is the appropriate place for general banter.

Thanks.

Arch

Arch,

Most of us that participate on the CGC boards do not hang out in the water cooler, and therefore don't know the people who post there.

OT posts tend to be of a more personal nature, and are directed towards friends on the boards, not the strangers in the water cooler.

my thing is, i know alot of the people in comics general dont go to the WC. SO if i want the opinions of the people i normally post with they wont see my topic.

but yea, pretty much what nearmint said.

I agree. I never go to the WC. I forget it's even there as I log onto the chats via cgccomics.com and not collectors-society.com. To navigate from the WC back and forth to our comics chats is a bit of a hassle IMO, thus I rarely have ever been there.

Plus what everyone else says...I'd rather get the opinions of people who I know and hang out in CG.

since going to the WC is neither convenient nor completely friendly / familiar, you would be okay with taking the word "Comics" out of "Comics General?"

i'm just wanting to know the reason(s) why some seem to be fine with making this forum less and less comic-centric.

my own personal belief is that if you want to talk about movies and books and things you read on teh Intranets that have nothing to do with comics...you do it in the Water Cooler. if you don't know the people there, then get to know them. if it's inconvenient, then create a WC bookmark. it takes two seconds to jump to the WC and back, for the love of Pete

since going to the WC is neither convenient nor completely friendly / familiar, you would be okay with taking the word "Comics" out of "Comics General?"

i'm just wanting to know the reason(s) why some seem to be fine with making this forum less and less comic-centric.

my own personal belief is that if you want to talk about movies and books and things you read on teh Intranets that have nothing to do with comics...you do it in the Water Cooler. if you don't know the people there, then get to know them. if it's inconvenient, then create a WC bookmark. it takes two seconds to jump to the WC and back, for the love of Pete

I guess I just don't see OT posting as being out of control. I enjoy the occasional OT post from fellow board members I've gotten to know here and if I were to post an OT question, it's these same people whose opinions I'd want to hear from.

You must hate comic conventions as even though they have the name "comic" attached, they are full of other stuff you'd consider OT.

I guess I just don't see OT posting as being out of control. I enjoy the occasional OT post from fellow board members I've gotten to know here and if I were to post an OT question, it's these same people whose opinions I'd want to hear from.

it's not "out of control." yet. but why wait until it's out of control before addressing it.

and your statement is a far cry from "oh, it's not convenient for me to click over to the WC so i just post OT here." you don't see the OT topics as a problem; this is personal preference, which i can abide...rather than simple laziness...which i can't.

You must hate comic conventions as even though they have the name "comic" attached, they are full of other stuff you'd consider OT.

no, but i do hate conventions that are ostensibly comic-related, only to find that there are three dealer booths and eight hundred tables of pr0n, dvds, D&D stuff, Magic games and Star Trek paraphenalia.

oh, and don't tell me what i hate and what i don't hate. i hate it when people do that *spoon*. just respond to what i write, not what you think i should have written but decided not to for whatever reason

Because there are 19 other rooms that contain nothing BUT comic talk?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues

A message board for discussing comic book grading and restoration issues. This includes evaluations of specific comics, discussions of general grading and/or restoration techniques, etc..

Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?

A forum dedicated solely to asking forumites to guesstimate the grade of book from a scan. NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting.

The CGC Registry

Discussions related to the CGC Registry - an interactive web tool for displaying your comic collection and comparing it to other great collections.

CGC Registry Help and Instructions

A forum for CGC Registry participants to get help and instructions on various features of the site.

Comic Events

A forum to post upcoming comic events - shows, etc. Posts should be set as calendar events also.

The Signature Room (10 viewing)

A forum to discuss everything to do with collecting CGC Signature Series books and unwitnessed signatures.

Permanent Comic Collecting Polls & FAQs

A forum where polls on comic book collecting topics are kept permanently so that an ongoing history of responses can be built up. Each thread must begin with a poll or it will be removed. Polls of low value or irrelevant to collecting will be removed. Check to see if someone else has already made your poll before you enter it.

Gold Comics

A forum for discussing golden age comics.

Silver Comics

A forum for discussing silver age comics.

Bronze Comics

A forum for discussing bronze age comics.

Copper Comics

A forum for discussing copper age comics.

Modern Comics

A forum for discussing modern age comics.

Comic Magazines

For the discussion of comic magazines and their grading.

Original Comic Art

A forum to discuss original art by comic artists.

Ask CGC

This is a message board to post questions that will be reviewed and answered by CGC experts. The board is moderated so submitted questions will only appear if they are judged appropriate and of enough general interest to answer.

Original Comic Art Marketplace

A message board for the purpose of buying, selling and trading original comic art between members. No anonymous posting is allowed.

Comics Market - Forum Only Selling

A board specifically for direct selling offers to other board members without an intermediary

Comics Market - Want To Buy!

A forum for people to post comics and comic related items that they are looking to purchase. If you aren't SERIOUS ABOUT IT, please don't waste peoples time looking to see if they have it.

Comics Market - Sales Advertising - Ebay, Dealers, etc.

A message board for the purpose advertising comics for sale via ebay, or other venues or web sites. No anonymous posting is allowed. We do not monitor buys and sells. Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction.

Look, since Arch seems unwilling to budge on this issue everyone will just have to work around it.

But c'mon.. having a place (CG) where all of us can post an occasional topic we would like to get feedback from our friends is not exactly a far fetched notion. For the most part we are a close knit bunch, and self policing seems a better way to control it.

Trying to preserve the sanctity of CG by editing out certain material while letting others stand is like trying to separate all the bad all you can eat buffets from the ok ones in Vegas, you can't. All you can do is work around them, visit the ones that suit your taste, and stay away from those that you dont like.

We all know for the most part the serious comic talk is contained in specific forum rooms. Not CG

Why this is even an issue at all still baffles me. Then again, I like variety, while some it appears do not. Even if it is the occasional Birthday or public announcement. Where is the line drawn?

Ze-

Because there are plenty of other rooms that contain nothing BUT comic talk?

confused-smiley-013.gif

*needless cut and paste deleted*

Look, since Arch seems unwilling to budge on this issue everyone will just have to work around it.

But c'mon.. having a place (CG) where all of us can post an occasional topic we would like to get feedback from our friends is not exactly a far fetched notion. For the most part we are a close knit bunch, and self policing seems a better way to control it.

Trying to preserve the sanctity of CG by editing out certain material while letting others stand is like trying to seperate all the bad all you can eat buffets from the ok ones in Vegas, you can't. All you can do is work around them, visit the ones that suit your taste, and stay away from those that you dont like.

Why this is even an issue at all still baffles me.

Ze-

no, since Arch won't budge, the people who enjoy OT posts will have to work around it. those who don't, won't.

and if all the people who enjoy the OT threads all went to the WC to post their OT threads together, then the unfamiliarity of the WC would no longer be a problem.

oh, and the Las Vegas analogy is just screwy.gif it's more like one big buffet that has a lot of stuff you like and a lesser amount of stuff you don't. and yes, you can work around the stuff you don't like. but why should you have to, since the buffet's owner has said that he is going to limit the stuff you don't want?

personally, i think The_Thing is what is keeping people out of the WC. but that's just my opinion.

Ease off the throttle there Sal, you won already.

I was just replying to your question why people felt compelled to dillute CG.

And my analogy was more in line with CG is like a bad buffet at times. Removing certain elements from it does not make it better, just less to choose from.

I understand the rules as they are now, and will be fine with working around them.

Kenny

Ease off the throttle there Sal, you won already.

never! to win is not enough; you must crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women!

sumo.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

flowerred.gif

Ignore the thread de-rail here. (I figure it doesn't matter much since this post is OT anyway.) I've been trying to post a reply here for about 15 minutes and IE keeps crashing. I made some changes so I'm trying to see if I can post now.