• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: OT Posts

142 posts in this topic

since going to the WC is neither convenient nor completely friendly / familiar, you would be okay with taking the word "Comics" out of "Comics General?"

i'm just wanting to know the reason(s) why some seem to be fine with making this forum less and less comic-centric.

my own personal belief is that if you want to talk about movies and books and things you read on teh Intranets that have nothing to do with comics...you do it in the Water Cooler. if you don't know the people there, then get to know them. if it's inconvenient, then create a WC bookmark. it takes two seconds to jump to the WC and back, for the love of Pete

I guess I just don't see OT posting as being out of control. I enjoy the occasional OT post from fellow board members I've gotten to know here and if I were to post an OT question, it's these same people whose opinions I'd want to hear from.

it's not "out of control." yet. but why wait until it's out of control before addressing it.

and your statement is a far cry from "oh, it's not convenient for me to click over to the WC so i just post OT here." you don't see the OT topics as a problem; this is personal preference, which i can abide...rather than simple laziness...which i can't.

You must hate comic conventions as even though they have the name "comic" attached, they are full of other stuff you'd consider OT.

no, but i do hate conventions that are ostensibly comic-related, only to find that there are three dealer booths and eight hundred tables of pr0n, dvds, D&D stuff, Magic games and Star Trek paraphenalia.

oh, and don't tell me what i hate and what i don't hate. i hate it when people do that *spoon*. just respond to what i write, not what you think i should have written but decided not to for whatever reason

Deep breaths Sal, deep breaths.

One of my initial points was true for me, in that I never see the WC thread because of how I log on. Arch pointed out the "jump to" option which frankly, I never even looked at before.

I still don't see myself really visiting the WC much. It's like I don't mind seeing some OT posts here in CG from people I know, but don't feel any urges to bother searching the WC full of OT posts from people I don't know.

So, to me, if they pop up here and there, they are kind of refreshing (especially if we're going through one of our pressing = bad/good debate periods). Now, if the OT posts began to outnumber the on topic posts, it could become bothersome if not seperated.

The only thing I find confusing is the selection of which OT posts are allowed or removed. I could see where it might be taken somewhat personally for someone to post an OT post only to have it wiped rather quickly while others remain and even get posted afterwards with no attention.

Ease off the throttle there Sal, you won already.

never! to win is not enough; you must crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women!

One of my favorite movies...although, no matter how many times I watched it, I never knew what the heck this word was he was saying. 27_laughing.gif

for the love of Pete

Who's Pete? tongue.gif

And good luck getting his love. I've been trying for months. tongue.gif

takeit.gif Paying double guide for the Love of Pete!

I agree with what has been said. I never go to the WC, don't know the people there, and frankly, would rather talk with the people I do know. If I felt the need to find out and discuss random OT ideas, or find strangers to talk to, I surely wouldn't put the WC at the top of my list. But if I feel the need to talk about OT ideas with the people I know, or get their advice on something, I had hoped the general forum would allow such discussion amongst us like-minded folk...

for the love of Pete

Who's Pete? tongue.gif

And good luck getting his love. I've been trying for months. tongue.gif

takeit.gif Paying double guide for the Love of Pete!

Good luck. Love of Pete is a no-show Gerber 10. frustrated.gif

The thing is that this IS a community. Hell, I stopped collecting over a year ago. I don't read them or buy new ones and half my collection is already sold.

But I still come here to the various comics section because it IS a community. I know a lot of the folks here, have met, talked on the phone and emailed/pmd dozens of them. So even though I am no longer a collector I still come by for the people I know.

I have made a few posts in the WC. Very different place. I don't really like the WC. It is the difference between attending a CGC Forum Dinner and attending the Amercian Dental Association Dinner as the guest of a friend.

I really do not understand what is so difficult about having an OT folder within CGC. If people don;t care about it they just leave it alone. But I bet there would be a surprising amount of interest in it.

Some folks may say "This is a comic book message board. There is no place for OT. I come here to read and post about comic books." Well, this would make it easier for them since there would be NO OT posts at all in any of the comic areas, rather than having te ocassional OT post sitting in Comics general.

Should such an OT place come into being, it should be named appropriately, reflecting the kind of use it would have and the sense of community and belonging it engenders. I vote for The Drunk Tank.

One of the things that's slightly confusing me is all this talk of having to 'go to the Water Cooler' and discussing issues with 'strangers'?

Are we talking a journey of many miles here?

Or perhaps merely having to change computers?

Or maybe even simply logging out, going to another site and logging in there?

Nah, none of that...all we have to do is click a button...as simple as going from one page of this thread to the next.

And this is a problem because...? confused-smiley-013.gif

One of the things that's slightly confusing me is all this talk of having to 'go to the Water Cooler' and discussing issues with 'strangers'?

Nah, none of that...all we have to do is click a button...as simple as going from one page of this thread to the next.

just being around TJ and Thing crazy.gifinsane.gif

I have made a few posts in the WC. Very different place. I don't really like the WC. It is the difference between attending a CGC Forum Dinner and attending the Amercian Dental Association Dinner as the guest of a friend.

Not quite, Pov.

I think it's the same event...just that none of your mates turned up.

Now, if we all decided to post the OT stuff in the WC, we'd soon have the same community buzz and the current resident knobs would be whinging to Arch about getting their own WC. tongue.gif

Just 'cause McDonald's employs cretins doesn't stop folk going there... insane.gif

I vote for The Drunk Tank.

We could even keep it comic related by taking suggestions for the name similar to how every new "letters" page was named by the readers of a paticular comic title.

My suggestion for a CGC OT room?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And now for something completely different.

Yes I know it wont happen, but it never hurts to whine... I mean ask.

This is just a reminder that while there is considerable lee-way on what's allowed in comics general, including the occasional OT post, we do need to keep a reasonable limit on non-comic related posts. This is less a carved in stone limit than a general feel for the % of OT content.

The water cooler is the appropriate place for general banter.

Thanks.

Arch

Arch, can you please give us a few examples of what's allowed vs. what isn't in the Comics General section. For instance, can we discuss comic related movies in this section, or is the conversation solely based on the prints themselves? What about threads that stray into something completely different than the original topic. What I mean is that if someone created a thread discussing precode horror comic books and all of a sudden people start talking about their favorite horror flick, will this thread be locked?

If by OT, you mean creating a thread saying that your facvorite baseball team is doing well this year, then I can see your point about moving it to the WC section.

OT - I am having trouble dealing with the other insurance company in an auto accident ordeal. I am trying to get reimbursed for diminishment of value on a practically new Audi A6 that sustained $12,000 in damage. What is my best course of action? I would love input from you comic nerds on this one!

What if, for example, I wanted to share with my friends here the update on triplets (we are getting another 4D ultrasound tomorrow...) - it would be an OT post, and one that I would make in this section. The alternatives would be to a) individually PM everyone or b) post it in the WC (where not only do most people here not frequent, but it would be annoucing personal info that is quite irrevelent to many of the people over there). Or before we had the OT post about the car accident and fundraising and such - I am not sure that would have gotten the appropriate attention from us if it was posted over in the WC.

I think it all boils down to what someone just mentioned - that we are a community here. The WC is a separate community (with some overlapping members)...

Yeah, and I can't think of two people that I don't like down here. yeahok.gif

People like to complain. Consider tth2: I don't know that I've ever seen ANYONE jump in on the tail end of more arguments only to later turn around and bemoan the existence of said arguments than that little fella. Why, I think he did it thirty or forty times this weekend alone.

And I have a feeling another such person will make an appearance in this thread before it is all said and done... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif