• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

Richard-

I am truly hurt…

Having said that lets take a look at several past purchases from Richard-

You bought a Batman 4, 5 and Sub-mariner 16 all in

VF/NM condition from me in 2004. Books I would usually

not discount. My sticker was $15,400- your price

$14,400.00.

Your next purchase was a low grade Batman 3 which I knocked $100.00 off.

Your next purchase was a Subby #24 in VF/NM stickered at $1200. I would normally not discount a decent Timely title and especially not a tough to find book like a Subby #24 in high grade. But once again I knocked $100 off the purchase price to show some type of reciprocation for the discounts you have given me over the years. You thanked me with a big smile on your face as you walked away from my booth. I remember this specifically because I was hoping you were going to be ok with that type of discount (even though my 1st inclination was to not discount it). Needless to say I was relieved and happy to see you smile.

Then there was a Marvel Mystery 8 you bought from me. A

book I would never drop a dime off of but knocked a

complimentary $100 off for you…

Anybody reading please note I am not leaving off one purchase he made since the 1st one mentioned above for $14,400.00.

Richard, I can understand you sticking up for your friend... but I

thought I was a friend too...

Do I always give you something off- no, its true. But by what I have shown above anybody can see that I have made a good faith effort which I thought was appreciated. I know after making sales to you you have smiled, shook my hand and said thank you. And in return I of course thanked you for your business….

Your last purchase was for two Jumbo Comics, #13 CGC 8.5 and an 18 CGC 9.2. You bought these while I was away on vacation in Italy from Frank. You were only given $50.00 off a $2500 invoice. You made comment about this purchase in what I thought was a very sarcastic tone in another post on the Forum. I thought we were friends and had a decent business relationship so I didn’t quite know what to make of it-now I do.

When you tell me you don't have room to discount a book I don't take it personally-even though it is. I accept your rationale that you will not give me any more of a discount than I give you- but please don’t say you have always been easy with me about pricing-you have never been easy to buy from. I have always had to pick and choose carefully at the Bedrock booth.

I have tried to work with you on price as evidenced above. I have given you the courtesy you mention me not giving you. The difference between us is this. You will go and sell the same books I am interested in at or below my offer price to another buyer- I don’t do that to you.

To everybody- I would rather have dealt with this privately with Richard. In fact we spoke not more than a week ago and had a very friendly conversation. These issues were never brought up to me when we spoke and I thought everything was fine. We laughed, joked and talked about life in general and business. I told him I looked forward to seeing him at the next show and we hung up. I thought everything was cool.

I would only ask the forum members who have read this post to give us a chance. Don’t be persuaded by the negative things you have read here. If you want to see how we treat our customers email me directly with an offer and let me see what I can do for you.

My email address is vincentz@metropoliscomics.com.

Sincerely,

Vincent

Vincent,

I want to thank you again for the generous ( sometimes as much as 2%) discounts. BTW, the VFNM Batman 5

batman5.jpg

I only got this grade after Matt Nelson removed the restoration to the centerfold.

Thank you again, Vincent for all you have so kindly done for me.

OH, and the Sub Mariner 24...too much restoration to remove. But you guys have been so kind to me I will just eat it as I would never want to rock your boat. Thanks again, and I hope we will be able to continue our long and mutually profitable business dealings in the future!

Your friend,

Richard

Bedrock slammed him pretty hard.

And deservedly so (I've born witness over the years - edit see above post).

I think it only natural that he responded in a defensive manner.If hes avoiding you guys at the shows hes certainly making up for it by NOT avoiding you guys on these message boards.He is a frequent contributer here. Come on, give him that at the very least.

Peter, I have a sense of appreciation for what you are trying to accomplish but I cannot even concede the last point because my perception is totally different.

I am reminded of all the ambulance-chasing in various threads that Metropolis has done on this Board. Scans of books "just in" (and for sale, by coincidence), or actual sale lists off the website, or "first PM gets the book", etc., leads me to believe that the Board is viewed as just another target of opportunity.

Now I haven't seen such behavior lately. Whether the tactics weren't successful, or CGC cracked down on such violations, the important thing is that it has stopped (and if CGC did intervene, I take my hat off to them for not allowing the discussion Board to be turned into a Metropolis marketing tool).

STEVE

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bedrock slammed him pretty hard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And deservedly so (I've born witness over the years).

Quote:

I think it only natural that he responded in a defensive manner.If hes avoiding you guys at the shows hes certainly making up for it by NOT avoiding you guys on these message boards.He is a frequent contributer here. Come on, give him that at the very least.

I must admit that I've never had problems wih Metro. They have never came down in price enough for me to purchase a book.

Bedrock slammed him pretty hard. I think it only natural that he responded in a defensive manner.If hes avoiding you guys at the shows hes certainly making up for it by NOT avoiding you guys on these message boards.He is a frequent contributer here. Come on, give him that at the very least.

Bedrock slammed a company, a policy, and a way of doing business. Bedrock didn't slam a person. As both Vincent and Stephen have mentioned, we have been very civil to each other, friendly even, in the past. I am sure that may change, but not on my part. I think Stephen is one of the funniest guys in the hobby, and Vinnie is always fun to chat with.

But we both run businesses. And what I am hopefully trying to point out here (slam if you will) is the inequity of that business relationship. I spend a great deal of time developing relationships with other dealers. Those relationships are generally mutually beneficial. It has become increasingly apparent that this is not going to be one of those relationships. That is unfortunate, but so be it. I will continue buying books from them at 0-2% off if they have something I want (and if they choose to sell to me!) And I will be offering them a set 2% discount on books I have for sale if they are interested, or even care, in the future.

Seems easy to me.

All I have to say about this post is this:

Greatest. Subject-line. Ever.

For anyone who's met Billy, you'll understand why. laugh.gif

Okay, I'll add this:

A few years ago, I turned down an Allentown that Metro had priced at 2X Guide and wouldn't budge on. This still haunts me. blush.gif

batman5.jpg

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but why in the world is this book in a green label? I've seen dozens of GA books with detached centerfolds in blue holders. I could understand it if this were an old label, before CGC redefined what it classifies as qualified, but this is a new label.

The qualified label always drives me batty, but cases like this really make me crazy. frustrated.gif

Vincent,

I want to thank you again for the generous ( sometimes as much as 2%) discounts. BTW, the VFNM Batman 5

You keep saying 2% discount, but the numbers that Vincent posted all reflected discounts of greater than 2%. $14,400 from $15,400 is a 6.5% discount. $100 off the $1200 Subby #24 is 9% off. Granted, with the books coming back with restoration, not such a good deal, but that's a different issue (and why didn't you just demand a refund from Metro?).

Unless you're saying that the list prices and actual sales prices that Vincent listed are untrue?

Stephen built the foundation of a sucessful company by being contemptuous ?

No, by having the single-minded purpose to exploit opportunity regardless of the harmful effects on others.

STEVE

Geez, pass me that hippie pipe you're smoking, Steve.

batman5.jpg

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but why in the world is this book in a green label? I've seen dozens of GA books with detached centerfolds in blue holders. I could understand it if this were an old label, before CGC redefined what it classifies as qualified, but this is a new label.

The qualified label always drives me batty, but cases like this really make me crazy. frustrated.gif

The higher the grade the more likely a green label for a defect like that.

A 7.5 probably would have stayed blue.

You keep saying 2% discount, but the numbers that Vincent posted all reflected discounts of greater than 2%. $14,400 from $15,400 is a 6.5% discount. $100 off the $1200 Subby #24 is 9% off. Granted, with the books coming back with restoration, not such a good deal, but that's a different issue (and why didn't you just demand a refund from Metro?).

Unless you're saying that the list prices and actual sales prices that Vincent listed are untrue?

do y'all remember in 'the bourne identity,' when damon shows up at the bank and his picture gets out, how the agency sent out messages for imbedded hit-men from all over the place to come out from their normal lives to go take a shot at bourne?

"calling all apologists in asia, calling all apologists in asia. we need you on the forum boards-your targets are mrbedrock and sacentaur. come in apologists in asia, we are in need of your services." Hong Kong operative: "message received, am on it, plan to use math on one target, hippie/drugs blast on the other. out."

If I were Bedrock, I would be p.o.'d about the two restored books. Oh wait, I guess he is. Hey Rich, thanks for posting your experience. The more people get a chance to see behind the curtain the better we can make educated decisions. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

The more people get a chance to see behind the curtain the better we can make educated decisions. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree. This thread has been enlightening, educational, and entertaining.

The more people get a chance to see behind the curtain the better we can make educated decisions. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree. This thread has been enlightening, educational, and entertaining.

jeff, sounds more like you "agreee."

do y'all remember in 'the bourne identity,' when damon shows up at the bank and his picture gets out, how the agency sent out messages for imbedded hit-men from all over the place to come out from their normal lives to go take a shot at bourne?

"calling all apologists in asia, calling all apologists in asia. we need you on the forum boards-your targets are mrbedrock and sacentaur. come in apologists in asia, we are in need of your services." Hong Kong operative: "message received, am on it, plan to use math on one target, hippie/drugs blast on the other. out."

In the case of Rich, I had a serious question since he kept saying 2% and Vincent's numbers were more than 2%. In the case of Steve, I was just poking fun at his rose-colored view of the world.

Don't know what I've ever done to you that causes you to take personal shots at me anytime I speak, but if that's what gets you off, then you go right on making an *spoon* of yourself.

Don't know what I've ever done to you that causes you to take personal shots at me anytime I speak, but if that's what gets you off, then you go right on making an *spoon* of yourself.

violin.gif Wow.. somebody constantly taking shots at you for no apparent reason? That must get so irritating....

violin.gif Wow.. somebody constantly taking shots at you for no apparent reason? That must get so irritating....

sign-funnypost.gif The violin bit is cute.

Richard-

I am truly hurt…

Having said that lets take a look at several past purchases from Richard-

You bought a Batman 4, 5 and Sub-mariner 16 all in

VF/NM condition from me in 2004. Books I would usually

not discount. My sticker was $15,400- your price

$14,400.00.

Your next purchase was a low grade Batman 3 which I knocked $100.00 off.

Your next purchase was a Subby #24 in VF/NM stickered at $1200. I would normally not discount a decent Timely title and especially not a tough to find book like a Subby #24 in high grade. But once again I knocked $100 off the purchase price to show some type of reciprocation for the discounts you have given me over the years. You thanked me with a big smile on your face as you walked away from my booth. I remember this specifically because I was hoping you were going to be ok with that type of discount (even though my 1st inclination was to not discount it). Needless to say I was relieved and happy to see you smile.

Then there was a Marvel Mystery 8 you bought from me. A

book I would never drop a dime off of but knocked a

complimentary $100 off for you…

Anybody reading please note I am not leaving off one purchase he made since the 1st one mentioned above for $14,400.00.

Richard, I can understand you sticking up for your friend... but I

thought I was a friend too...

Do I always give you something off- no, its true. But by what I have shown above anybody can see that I have made a good faith effort which I thought was appreciated. I know after making sales to you you have smiled, shook my hand and said thank you. And in return I of course thanked you for your business….

Your last purchase was for two Jumbo Comics, #13 CGC 8.5 and an 18 CGC 9.2. You bought these while I was away on vacation in Italy from Frank. You were only given $50.00 off a $2500 invoice. You made comment about this purchase in what I thought was a very sarcastic tone in another post on the Forum. I thought we were friends and had a decent business relationship so I didn’t quite know what to make of it-now I do.

When you tell me you don't have room to discount a book I don't take it personally-even though it is. I accept your rationale that you will not give me any more of a discount than I give you- but please don’t say you have always been easy with me about pricing-you have never been easy to buy from. I have always had to pick and choose carefully at the Bedrock booth.

I have tried to work with you on price as evidenced above. I have given you the courtesy you mention me not giving you. The difference between us is this. You will go and sell the same books I am interested in at or below my offer price to another buyer- I don’t do that to you.

To everybody- I would rather have dealt with this privately with Richard. In fact we spoke not more than a week ago and had a very friendly conversation. These issues were never brought up to me when we spoke and I thought everything was fine. We laughed, joked and talked about life in general and business. I told him I looked forward to seeing him at the next show and we hung up. I thought everything was cool.

I would only ask the forum members who have read this post to give us a chance. Don’t be persuaded by the negative things you have read here. If you want to see how we treat our customers email me directly with an offer and let me see what I can do for you.

My email address is vincentz@metropoliscomics.com.

Sincerely,

Vincent

Vincent,

batman5.jpg

I only got this grade after Matt Nelson removed the restoration to the centerfold.

Thank you again, Vincent for all you have so kindly done for me.

OH, and the Sub Mariner 24...too much restoration to remove. But you guys have been so kind to me I will just eat it as I would never want to rock your boat. Thanks again, and I hope we will be able to continue our long and mutually profitable business dealings in the future!

Your friend,

Richard

confused-smiley-013.gif You know I really don't want to comment on Metropolis after my banning for commenting on there grading when they started a thread asking about "there grading"

But man, they sure make it hard for a person to refrain from doing so.

I guess it's the old saying," if you have nothing nice to say about a person (company) don't say anything at all.

And I would interpret this in this instance to never steering any business toward Metropolis. And if enough people stop purchasing from them, I'm sure it will do something to the bottom line. All the effort they put into starting comicconnect etc. and they still don't get the big picture. It's really a shame.