• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

The more people get a chance to see behind the curtain the better we can make educated decisions. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree. This thread has been enlightening, educational, and entertaining.

jeff, sounds more like you "agreee."

Well, I have never had any dealings with Metro, although they do have some books I'd like to acquire. My agreement was more along the lines of watching the comments and debate and how both Metro's people and others responded to said discussion.

Would this thread prevent me from buying from Metro? No, but it's one piece in my ever growing knowledge bank about how dealers conduct their business.

jeff, i was only making a lame play on your three "e's" of enlightening.... didn't mean to make any judgment about your feelings toward metro.

foreheadslap.gif I'm a little slow today. It's all good Billy. No harm, no foul. flowerred.gif

Personally when spending thousands of dollars on books I wouldn't even consider buying raw books at all not just from Metropolis but rather any company. This obviously as small resto and other issues can be overlooked upon original grading conducted and even if refunds are given for book in question, a whole lot of time is wasted in general.

I understand your concerns but doesn't that approach drastically limit the available copies of any given book?

I understand your concerns but doesn't that approach drastically limit the available copies of any given book?

Simpy put, Yes. However, sellers should be encouraged to CGC expensive books. I love the fact that Bedrock comics is willing to CGC a book in order to generate a sale. Some sellers don't like doing so, because this takes away a negotiation tool regarding the grade of the book. As long as enough buyers insist on purchasing books that have been professionally graded, sellers will have to adjust accordingly.

However, sellers should be encouraged to CGC expensive books.

Then again, some sellers really like to crack CGC books... like the Marvel Mystery 17 (Larson copy), for example.

Bought in Heritage auction CGC 7.5 (Very Fine-), then appears unslabbed on Metropolis' website as a VF/NM (9.0)...with a very healthy price increase.

Imagine that.

STEVE

Then again, some sellers really like to crack CGC books... like the Marvel Mystery 17 (Larson copy), for example.

Bought in Heritage auction CGC 7.5 (Very Fine-), then appears unslabbed on Metropolis' website as a VF/NM (9.0)...with a very healthy price increase.

Imagine that.

STEVE

I had posted this one earlier in this thread, http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=3283&src=pr#Photo

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSear...p;search=Search

So yes I can imagine that.

Imagine that.

STEVE

I had posted this one earlier in this thread, http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=3283&src=pr#Photo

Good catch on that one, interesting that it was originally a 7.5 in the holder and now an 8.5, guess Metro doesn't agree with CGC on this one.

Imagine that.

STEVE

Ah, I missed your prior link - good catch, Mephisto!

STEVE

Imagine that.

STEVE

Good catch on that one, interesting that it was originally a 7.5 in the holder and now an 8.5, guess Metro doesn't agree with CGC on this one.

i guess.

the question is, when they have a slabbed book NOT broken out that they think is OVERgraded, do they drop the price accordingly? no answers necessary--it is rhetorical.

Good catch on that one, interesting that it was originally a 7.5 in the holder and now an 8.5...

Actually, they have it at 9.0. I've held that book in my hands, and felt the 7.5 grade was accurate.

"Stretch the grade, push the price, and don't engage in full disclosure".

Sounds like a mission statement to become America's #1 Comic Book Dealer (well, apparently #3 now, if we agree that Heritage and Comiclink are "dealers")!

STEVE

Mistakenly overlooking resto is one thing; manipulating and intentionally misrepresenting books (in the name of unrelenting greed) is another.

STEVE

Steve;

Unfortunately, this now appears to be the business model for several of the larger comic dealers. When coupled with using CGC to laundered these books into the marketplace, an absolutely deadly combination for today's unsuspecting collector. tonofbricks.gif

Personally when spending thousands of dollars on books I wouldn't even consider buying raw books at all not just from Metropolis but rather any company. This obviously as small resto and other issues can be overlooked upon original grading conducted and even if refunds are given for book in question, a whole lot of time is wasted in general.

Excellent question!

My response to this is simple. If there is a book out there that is worth thousands of dollars to begin with that I or anyone really is seriously interested in buying and it's a raw copy...

the #1 question on anyone's mind whether it's for sale from a major dealer or on consignment...... WHY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH HAS THIS THING NOT BEEN SLABBED.

The only answer in my head is not that it's a money issue but rather the seller either knows that there is a high probability that the books had some minor resto work done on it or they know that it may or may not have but if it comes back purple label the price is going down on a point of sale.

Now on the flip side if I had millions of dollars and could play the guessing and hope games with these types of books maybe I would once in a while from reputable dealers, however I don't and most others do not either.

I actually plan on getting into books that are stupidly rare in the next 4/5 years such as Human Torch and some Marvel Mystery Comics as soon as I wrap up my spidey set that I'm finishing in the next 10-12 months from another collector.

I will go through the horror of limiting myself as you've said this type of collecting induces and yes I agree that will be a shtty feeling when I can't get my hands on a book I need to fill the gap but at that time however, maybe I'll grab up a MMC#20 in raw 3.5 for 335USD like the one Metropolis has listed currently rather than shelling out 5500USD or 3800USD for a 8.5 copy that they also have raw therefore bypassing the odd chance that the book in question has had any untraceable work done on it upon getting it slabbed.

I only use metro as an example here because I know they have a good supply of MMC and no other site really does.

Hope this helps answer your question and support my basis for the original statement.

Richard

I actually plan on getting into books that are stupidly rare in the next 4/5 years such as Human Torch and some Marvel Mystery Comics as soon as I wrap up my spidey set that I'm finishing in the next 10-12 months from another collector.

Timelys are fantastic, but stupidly rare they ain't. Most are pretty common when compared to a lot of golden age titles.

Then again, compared to Spideys they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Yes by stupidly rare I should have clarified if I end up dipping into the timely pool the vast majority of the books I will be attempting to obtain will be a blue label 9.0 or 9.2 which from what I've seen are quite rare in the human torch and MMC lines. All in all if I'm just filling a gap with a 3.5 or 4.0 raw book not rare at all. My rare comment was more geared towards high graded books.

And to tell you the truth I've had my eyes all over Metro's site and the odd glances at comic link as well as I've watched a few beauties I'd love to own sell on these sites. Human Torch #(2) 1 for instance in CGC 9.0. What I would have done for that book. Someone probably from these boards nabbed that up I'd imagine.

Richard

Yes by stupidly rare I should have clarified if I end up dipping into the timely pool the vast majority of the books I will be attempting to obtain will be a blue label 9.0 or 9.2 which from what I've seen are quite rare in the human torch and MMC lines. All in all if I'm just filling a gap with a 3.5 or 4.0 raw book not rare at all. My rare comment was more geared towards high graded books.

And to tell you the truth I've had my eyes all over Metro's site and the odd glances at comic link as well as I've watched a few beauties I'd love to own sell on these sites. Human Torch #(2) 1 for instance in CGC 9.0. What I would have done for that book. Someone probably from these boards nabbed that up I'd imagine.

Richard

hello all...

I agree, timely's are not "rare" per se, but are in such demand, that certain issues can be elusive in any grade...certainly 9.0 or better, i will bid you good luck!

gator