• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

Personally when spending thousands of dollars on books I wouldn't even consider buying raw books at all not just from Metropolis but rather any company. This obviously as small resto and other issues can be overlooked upon original grading conducted and even if refunds are given for book in question, a whole lot of time is wasted in general.

Good point, ac - thank goodness we have CGC and other restoration check professionals to help out in this regard.

Mistakenly overlooking resto is one thing; manipulating and intentionally misrepresenting books (in the name of unrelenting greed) is another.

STEVE

Clearly the appeal of Metropolis is there inventory.There website is Miles ahead of anyone else. It certainly is the most regularly updated. Its sort of like having a Signature auction at your fingertips everyday.

With that said,........Happy Fathers day to all !!!!!!!!!!!!

How is that different from Heritage and there 19% COMISSIONS ????

Because you can factor the buyer premium into your bid on Heritage. A large number of books Metropolis has on their website,that I have interest in, were purchased from Heritage. Metropolis then increases the price from what it was purchased for at auction. That is how it is different.

This is not unique to Metropolis.There are other dealers that do this.I dont see anything wrong with it if you have the forsight to see there is room to mark up a book.If the book winds up sitting in inventory than its overpriced.If it sells, it was prices correctly.It really depends on what type of books we are talking about here.

Because you can factor the buyer premium into your bid on Heritage. A large number of books Metropolis has on their website,that I have interest in, were purchased from Heritage. Metropolis then increases the price from what it was purchased for at auction. That is how it is different.

Your point is correct. The commission is not relevant to the buyer. Only the final price is.

I can see the converstation now between a mythical Joe and John.

Joe bought a CGC graded XYZ copy graded an unrestored book in 6.0 from a dealer for $1200 . John bought an XYZ issue in an unrestored 6.0 from an auction house for $1000 including the commission. When Joe heard about John's purchase he told John, "you're a fool for paying the auction house's 20 Vig. You should learn to buy direct like I do".

It really depends on what type of books we are talking about here. If the book winds up sitting in inventory than its overpriced

Quite true that it depends upon the type of book we are talking about. In my situation, there are several books that have been sitting in their inventory for 6 months to a year. That would seem to be indicitave of a book being overpriced. If Metro is content using their website as as a photo gallery, versus a place of business, more power to them.

True. It's their books.

I don't see any right or wrong in this thread. If a buyer wishes to discontinue purchasing books from a dealer, it's his right. If a dealer holds their price more power to them.

You can use all these discount smoke screens or whatever you want to call them ,comissions,discounts or fathers day sale. They all end in high prices for material in demand. I just dont find this unique to Metropolis.

You can use all the smoke screens you want but ALL SELLERS ARE SLIMES (I incluude myself in the mix). : laugh.gif

AS a matter of fact ALL BUYERS ARE SLIMES (I include myself n that group as well). yay.gif

You can use all these discount smoke screens or whatever you want to call them,comissions,discounts or fathers day sale. They all end in high prices for material in demand. I just dont find this unique to Metropolis.

I am not saying it is unique to Metro; I didn't create this thread. Not trying to raise feathers, just expressing my experience dealing with them. One thing that I will say that the way things are currently being done creates barriers to completing a sale. A person will only hang around for so long before he decides to go to the competition.

As of this moment, 0 of my offers have been accepted on their books. This may or may not change in the upcoming days, or distant future. I am currently awaiting a response from Vincent regarding some outstanding offers (all of which are for more than the Heritage purchase price). We will see.

Were talking like we as the buyers have the advantage here. Any dealer knows very well that your going to ask for a discount.It is expected every time you deal.That discount has already been padded into the price for you to just take back out when you ask for a discount. Your of course not getting a true discount. Your playing there game. This is the nature of sales in ANY field. I assume most of you have gone through this in buying a car ? Rebate anyone ?

You can use all these discount smoke screens or whatever you want to call them,comissions,discounts or fathers day sale. They all end in high prices for material in demand. I just dont find this unique to Metropolis.

I am not saying it is unique to Metro; I didn't create this thread. Not trying to raise feathers, just expressing my experience dealing with them. One thing that I will say that the way things are currently being done creates barriers to completing a sale. A person will only hang around for so long before he decides to go to the competition.

As of this moment, 0 of my offers have been accepted on their books. This may or may not change in the upcoming days, or distant future. I am currently awaiting a response from Vincent regarding some outstanding offers (all of which are for more than the Heritage purchase price). We will see.

Your not raising any feathers. Im appreciating your responces.

Were talking like we as the buyers have the advantage here. Any dealer knows very well that your going to ask for a discount.It is expected every time you deal.That discount has already been padded into the price for you to just take back out when you ask for a discount. Your of course not getting a true discount. Your playing there game. This is the nature of sales in ANY field. I assume most of you have gone through this in buying a car ? Rebate anyone ?

The analogy of buying a car is well placed. However, when a book has previously sold at auction, the buyer has access to resources such as Heritage's archives or GPAnalysis.

Car buyers have access to the Kelly Blue book, but won't necessarily have access to extensive actual sales docs reflecting actual value in the open market. I equate the Blue Book in cars to being analagous to using Oversreet in comics. They are guides, and let the market decide the actual value accordingly.

The internet provides comic buyers with resources that make them quite informed when attempting to barter with dealers like Metro. Of course, an informed buyer means less profit for the seller. This means that buyers like myself can afford tooth paste, food, etc after I spend all of my money on comics! acclaim.gif