• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

my "low price" was above guide, and higher than i paid within the last month for two high-grade copies of the same title book at the same guide level. NOT a low-ball offer at all.

In my opinion you are making a big error in lumping all of the Frazetta Famous Funnies into one price category just because Overstreet does.

#215 is the hardest issue to find and 209 and 211 are probably the easiest. This is because a long time ago a number of high grade Famous Funnies turned up. Not all of the issues, though. Check the CGC census.

Yes, most definitely a strange way to support your argument and a serious fallacy in Billy's case here.

This dispute seems to be all about the final price for a book. From my point of view, this is something that is very objective. We all know exactly what $700 means and we should either agree or disagree and move on from there.

I personally would be much more concern with dealers where you really never know exactly what you are getting from a subjective point of view. I would feel safer buying a book from Metro as opposed to Heritage, ComicLink, Pedigree, or especially Matt Nelson.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

I would feel safer buying a book from Metro as opposed to Heritage, ComicLink, Pedigree, or especially Matt Nelson.

I assume you are talking about CGC graded books? Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with this statement (it is your opinion - and you are entitled), you will most defininetely have less remaining money in your pocket buying from Metro.

I'll just say from experience.. I've never had an offer accepted.. but I understand business to a great extent and I don't fault the guys at Metro.. in fact.. I also feel comfortable buying from them... but I only do if it's something I really...really want...

To be honest the only thing I don't like about this thread is Rich ( Mr. Bedrock ) and the boys at Met having a tiff... I read the arguments....and I know how quickly books become business.. and I hate to see it get between a couple of guys that are very knowledgable

I'll just say from experience.. I've never had an offer accepted.. but I understand business to a great extent and I don't fault the guys at Metro.. in fact.. I also feel comfortable buying from them... but I only do if it's something I really...really want...

To be honest the only thing I don't like about this thread is Rich ( Mr. Bedrock ) and the boys at Met having a tiff... I read the arguments....and I know how quickly books become business.. and I hate to see it get between a couple of guys that are very knowledgable

It is interesting to see the progression of Mr. Bedrock's discussion though. It was established that Metropolis gave him a slight discount on a purchase over $10,000, only to discover that at least 2 of the discounted books were either restored or qualified. I think that would be enough to make even a millionaire a bit perturbed. That does have an impact on how one views a company's grading.

I would be curious to know what discussions Rich had with Metro about some kind of reimbursement for the qualified Batman, and the restored Subby. boo.gif

my "low price" was above guide, and higher than i paid within the last month for two high-grade copies of the same title book at the same guide level. NOT a low-ball offer at all.

In my opinion you are making a big error in lumping all of the Frazetta Famous Funnies into one price category just because Overstreet does.

#215 is the hardest issue to find and 209 and 211 are probably the easiest. This is because a long time ago a number of high grade Famous Funnies turned up. Not all of the issues, though. Check the CGC census.

Yes, most definitely a strange way to support your argument and a serious fallacy in Billy's case here.

This dispute seems to be all about the final price for a book. From my point of view, this is something that is very objective. We all know exactly what $700 means and we should either agree or disagree and move on from there.

I personally would be much more concern with dealers where you really never know exactly what you are getting from a subjective point of view. I would feel safer buying a book from Metro as opposed to Heritage, ComicLink, Pedigree, or especially Matt Nelson.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

What's wrong with Matt Nelson?

Nothing wrong with Matt Nelson in my opinion.. thumbsup2.gif

Clink is good... I find the user friendly interface outstanding and quick for bargaining ..plus customer service has never gone wrong...

Pedigree has always been fantastic from experience...Doug runs a tight ship

Heritage.... buyer's premiums... ouch boo.gif how do they continue to get away with those rates...

Heritage.... buyer's premiums... ouch boo.gif how do they continue to get away with those rates...

I was a little concerned about Heritage's buyer's premium at first also. However, since the website shows you what your bid will be after buyer's premium, I believe that the majority of the items consistently sell for at or slightly above FMV. Bidding in person, or via telephone is more tricky, as the bidding goes so darn fast. I was phone bidding on one item late last year, and by the time I had calculated out the buyer premium the book was already sold.

It is interesting to see the progression of Mr. Bedrock's discussion though. It was established that Metropolis gave him a slight discount on a purchase over $10,000, only to discover that at least 2 of the discounted books were either restored or qualified. I think that would be enough to make even a millionaire a bit perturbed. That does have an impact on how one views a company's grading.

I would be curious to know what discussions Rich had with Metro about some kind of reimbursement for the qualified Batman, and the restored Subby. boo.gif

I think you mis-read Rich's post, both were restored. He had Matt remove the work on the Batman

I think you mis-read Rich's post, both were restored. He had Matt remove the work on the Batman

You may be right. I was giving the benefit of the doubt in my statement because of the fact that the image given to is a qualified 9.2 Batman, not a restored 9.2.

Don't know what I've ever done to you that causes you to take personal shots at me anytime I speak, but if that's what gets you off, then you go right on making an *spoon* of yourself.

violin.gif Wow.. somebody constantly taking shots at you for no apparent reason? That must get so irritating....

People disagreeing with me I have no problem with. But people who decide to start taking personal shots at me (for example, by calling me an "apologist") just because I have the gall to disagree with them... THAT I have a problem with. confused-smiley-013.gif

Particularly in a thread like this where I hadn't even taken sides. The irony is that Billy has undoubtedly purchased many more books from Metro than I have.

Although, I have seen a lot of good points from both sides, I have leaned a little more toward the side of Metro through out most of the thread.

Which makes this interesting.

I have been watching a book on the Metro site for some time. I just noticed that this particular Church copy was now on Comicconnect. I made an offer of more than double guide for the book and it wasn't even enough to be accepted in to the system. I got a pop up response that said something like " In order not to waste our sellers valuable time, bids considered to be to far below the asking price will not be accepted"

Obviously thier business is at least some what prosperous, and they don't need to take advice from a bottom feeder like me, but many of the practices talked about in this thread are probably pushing many potential customers away. I am a good example. I have never had an offer accepted. I know they price aggressively and don't discount, so why bother wasting my time even browsing the invenory.

There aren't very many of us out there that like setting records for prices paid. I don't have money to burn, but I have still been known to spend several thousand on a single book and recently just spent much more on a collection. I'm still small potatos, but I would think I am not the type of customer any dealer wants to scare off.

All of that being said, Metro still has a right to charge what ever they want and may often have a good reason other than just the market value.

It is actually probably not a bad approach to be the highest priced. Many companies aim for the elite, and Metro can do this. With the inventory they have and the money to always have the best inventory, they have built an image. The buyers that have the money in excess can go there, because they will probably have it or can find it. Even people with out a lot of money still want to buy from them. Just like the people who have to have the Rolex, Lexus, or Prada even though they can't really afford it and probably paid to much - it makes them feel good. It makes them feel like they fit in with the elite.

Then the big ego comes in - competition between men, with their wallets. That is always good for the savy business person.

I have been watching a book on the Metro site for some time. I just noticed that this particular Church copy was now on Comicconnect. I made an offer of more than double guide for the book and it wasn't even enough to be accepted in to the system. I got a pop up response that said something like " In order not to waste our sellers valuable time, bids considered to be to far below the asking price will not be accepted"

Absolutely no surprise here that your offer was not even accepted into the system!

Since this was an Edgar Church copy, you should be well aware that these books can generally go for multiples of guide depending upon the particular book. At just a bit more than double guide, I would not be surprised at all if this was still under Metro's original purchase cost for the book in the first place.

Dealers don't generally waste their time entertaining offers that are below their cost price since they would not be in business for very long if they did. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Absolutely no surprise here that your offer was not even accepted into the system!

Since this was an Edgar Church copy, you should be well aware that these books can generally go for multiples of guide depending upon the particular book. At just a bit more than double guide, I would not be surprised at all if this was still under Metro's original purchase cost for the book in the first place.

Dealers don't generally waste their time entertaining offers that are below their cost price since they would not be in business for very long if they did. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All of which is why I said; All of that being said, Metro still has a right to charge what ever they want and may often have a good reason other than just the market value. I did forget to mention that I like the bottled response to lowball offers on Comicconnect. It will save the sellers a ton of time. Like I said in the beginning of my first post, I have been leaning a little more in the favor of Metro through out most of this thread.

First, IMO, not all Edgar Church books were created equal.

Second, my post wasn't about what the Edgar Church books sell for, or about Metropolis' prices being to high. I, actually, can rationalize and understand the asking price on this particular book as "fair" and would probably be willling to pay very close to that price or full price if I had the book in hand to inspect. My point is, Metro will never know and they would probably stand to gain a few more customers if they tweaked some of their business practices a little.

The more people get a chance to see behind the curtain the better we can make educated decisions. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree. This thread has been enlightening, educational, and entertaining.

jeff, sounds more like you "agreee."

Well, I have never had any dealings with Metro, although they do have some books I'd like to acquire. My agreement was more along the lines of watching the comments and debate and how both Metro's people and others responded to said discussion.

Would this thread prevent me from buying from Metro? No, but it's one piece in my ever growing knowledge bank about how dealers conduct their business.

The more people get a chance to see behind the curtain the better we can make educated decisions. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree. This thread has been enlightening, educational, and entertaining.

jeff, sounds more like you "agreee."

Well, I have never had any dealings with Metro, although they do have some books I'd like to acquire. My agreement was more along the lines of watching the comments and debate and how both Metro's people and others responded to said discussion.

Would this thread prevent me from buying from Metro? No, but it's one piece in my ever growing knowledge bank about how dealers conduct their business.

jeff, i was only making a lame play on your three "e's" of enlightening.... didn't mean to make any judgment about your feelings toward metro.

Personally when spending thousands of dollars on books I wouldn't even consider buying raw books at all not just from Metropolis but rather any company. This obviously as small resto and other issues can be overlooked upon original grading conducted and even if refunds are given for book in question, a whole lot of time is wasted in general.

Personally when spending thousands of dollars on books I wouldn't even consider buying raw books at all not just from Metropolis but rather any company. This obviously as small resto and other issues can be overlooked upon original grading conducted and even if refunds are given for book in question, a whole lot of time is wasted in general.

I agree 100% with this rationale. That is why I asked the other user if he was talking about CGC books. It would be a real heartbreaker if you paid $1000 or more for a key book, only to find out that the book has slight (P), or worse yet (A) resoration.