• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$500 to 1,000 guilt free spending money - What would you get?

55 posts in this topic

I have to go with Jon- ASM #1 is most definitely the way to go. For $500, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to pick up a solid copy for that money. Ha! For $1,000 I could buy up ASM 1-5, maybe... even 1-10 based on the condition of a few of 'em- LCS just picked up a run of 'em.

I definitely need your problem!-)

I would buy something that you never thought you'd own. Whether that's a Marvel Mystery or an early Detective or X-Men #1 or whatever.

I remember when I bought a book I had wanted since I was a kid and never thought I'd be able to afford. I was on cloud9.gif for days smile.gif

That also would be cool. Like an old Golden Age; like Marvel Mystery Comics with WW2/Nazi Schomberg covers... Oooooh I like that idea. That's definitely what I'd get and with $1000 you could get 2 or 3 issues!!!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Seriously, you should take a little thought. Some of the earlier advice was good. I'd consider what you collect (if completing runs, etc), I also like the idea of just going for something that previously may have really been off your radar.

I had some experience with this a few years ago when I went to Reno . . . I ended up winning about $6500 on Keno of all things. Up to that point, I had spent about $500-$600 at the most on a single book. Though one book I always wanted (but either couldn't find or previously when I did, it was out of my price range) was Strange Tales Annual #2 (4th app. of Spider-Man). I ended up putting half of the money in the bank, and spent about $3000 on a CGC 9.2 I happened to find within a couple days of getting back home.

I still am on "cloud 9" from buying it . . . it is my most prized book . . . something I thought I would actually never be able to get. I happened to collect a lot of ASM, so that purchase wasn't too much out of what I typically would look for, but as far as the grade, etc.

I'd say don't buy a few smaller books totaling $1000; blow it on a nice book . . . whatever is more appealing to you. Either a nice high grade copy of something, or a lower graded key, or some other old book you wouldn't have been able to buy otherwise.

Just my $.02 . . . o.k., maybe $.25

Think outside the box! Come to Chicago for WizardWorld Chicago and the Forum Dinner:

Found on Expedia : $910.24

Edmonton to Chicago Leave 1:10 (connect in Seattle) August 9, arrive 9:50 PM

Lodging at the Ramada Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel Chicago, IL

This 11-story hotel is across from the Blue Line L train, which provides access to O'Hare Airport and the convention center, both two miles away.

Chicago to Edmonton leave 9:15 pm August 12 (connect in Vegas) arrive 4:10 AM in Edmonton

Forum dinner at Gibsons on the 11th: $75

Total: $985.24 - you could buy two drinks at Gibsons on the 11th for an even thousand. yay.gif

Think outside the box! Come to Chicago for WizardWorld Chicago and the Forum Dinner:

Found on Expedia : $910.24

Edmonton to Chicago Leave 1:10 (connect in Seattle) August 9, arrive 9:50 PM

Lodging at the Ramada Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel Chicago, IL

This 11-story hotel is across from the Blue Line L train, which provides access to O'Hare Airport and the convention center, both two miles away.

Chicago to Edmonton leave 9:15 pm August 12 (connect in Vegas) arrive 4:10 AM in Edmonton

Forum dinner at Gibsons on the 11th: $75

Total: $985.24 - you could buy two drinks at Gibsons on the 11th for an even thousand. yay.gif

You should definitely consider something like that. That said...

I had a similar situation and I decided to start a couple of GA runs. I never bothered with buying my GA Ghost Riders and Boy Comics because I didn't want to start a run of something knowing I might only have 1 book for a long time. But when the time came I managed some decent mid-high grade Boy Comics, a VG Tim Holt 11, and a 5.0ish Ghost Rider (ME) 1. Now I have my 2 dream GA runs started and have something to work from. (I also got an Iron Man 1 because that was on my list too. Those are affordable in high grade.)

hail.gifguilt free spending money hail.gif

i would personally try and find the nicest possible copy of either

Avengers #1 or B&B 28 that one thousand dollars could buy.

each one is at the top of my grails list