• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

I wonder how many JLA collections are out there that are entirely comprised of raw books. You would have to think that over time there will be more and more 9.4s, 9.6s and 9.8s for early JLAs that will be graded sooner or later.

Mine are all raw - and they're not about to be slabbed any time in the foreseeable future.

;)

Thanks!

I figured it was better to have it in an ok grade rather than wait for the off chance of getting one at a higher grade somewhere down the line. Besides, I don't know if I'd want to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a 9.0+

OK,

Don't ask how, but it looks like I might be getting $10-12K coming my way shortly.

Now I know the GPA #s, but I'd like the insight from the board's JLA collectors re JLA #1: what am I realistically looking at in terms of grade, PQ, and eye-appeal?

Note- unobstructive date stamps don't bother me; neither does a thinnly off-center cover, but any kind of diagonal sh*t is a deal breaker. Yes, even on this ish.

There's nothing pushing this book right now, is there? Hopes of a movie in my lifetime are plummetting fast.

All right boys, impart your wisdom please. Thanx!

Rick

PS: not even thinking of the B&Bs right now...wanna finish my freakin' set first.

OK,

Don't ask how, but it looks like I might be getting $10-12K coming my way shortly.

Now I know the GPA #s, but I'd like the insight from the board's JLA collectors re JLA #1: what am I realistically looking at in terms of grade, PQ, and eye-appeal?

Note- unobstructive date stamps don't bother me; neither does a thinnly off-center cover, but any kind of diagonal sh*t is a deal breaker. Yes, even on this ish.

There's nothing pushing this book right now, is there? Hopes of a movie in my lifetime are plummetting fast.

Rick

PS: not even thinking of the B&Bs right now...wanna finish my freakin' set first.

I don't know if you could buy a 9.0 for $10-$12K. That seems kind of low - you could easily buy an 8.5 for that money (and have some left over), but I would say you would have to push it closer to $15K to get a 9.0.

I recall Motor City Comics having both a Brave & the Bold 28 and a Justice League 1 for sale in 2000 at $5000 each. I thought the two were well overpriced. They were graded NM by Motor City but I didn't think the spines were perfect enough to be NM. Maybe VF. I'd like to see those two books again though.

hm

OK,

Rick

Uh...thanx for your brevity.

OK it's settled then: I should be able to find a perfectly centered, dripping wet, sharp as a knife 9.0 with blinding WHITE pages for $12K.

Now I'll just wait til one falls in my lap-------

BTW, it'll get a 9.0 because of an unverifiable "Julius Schwartz" name signed on splash page that I'll find some way to live with.

Rick

Going back in this thread, JLA collecting used to be a much busier topic. A lot of the names from 3-4 years ago seem to be out of the running - what has caused people to drop out? Well, Rick is still going strong, but many others seem to have left.

Going back in this thread, JLA collecting used to be a much busier topic. A lot of the names from 3-4 years ago seem to be out of the running - what has caused people to drop out? Well, Rick is still going strong, but many others seem to have left.

Uh, since leaving my most recent job last summer, I am anything but "going strong." I really shouldn't be going after a 5-digit book right now; but I know if I don't, I may not get another chance again for a loong time. Plus, having a respectable CGC set without the #1 is really starting to annoy me.

I can only assume that other JLAers got out because they didn't see an upside for long term ownership, the CGC gravy train was departing (toot toot). They didn't want to miss out.

Tim, you didn't mind playing in the deep end (in fact, you seemed to revel in it); it was when the water got dirty that you dried off for good. Please tell me everyone is catching my metaphorical drift?

kudos to you Tim.

Rick