• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League of America Collecting Thread
2 2

2,058 posts in this topic

The 9.0 is exactly what I'm talking about, 10k that is half as much. The 9.0 is the perfect sinerio as we are talking about high grade books (9.2 JLA 1). An ugly 9.0??, any 9.0 is going to be nice/decent, ugly is a not the best choice of word thats your opinion, and pressing may have a little to do with it but NOT 10k worth (half as much) of the other 9.0. The Maine AF 15 was pressed up a full grade and is still a VERY diseriable book. Pressing has little to do with anything in todays society what it has to do is what the book is and it is a D.C. which is not doing as well as marvel right now, as it is becoming harder and harder to find 9.0's up that have never been pressed.

Also, where are you getting your data from on the BB 28? The only book that I see in GPA (which HA reports to) that sold lower is the 9.0 that sold for $20k, $10k less than the last 9.0.

And everyone who follows the book knows that the reason that one sold so low is that it was a very ugly 9.0 that was pressed from an 8.0 everyone saw.

Every other copy has sold for more. The 7.5 is way up over 2004 prices, the 8.0 is way up.

Pressing can be hazardous to your health...and a comic! lol

The 9.0 is exactly what I'm talking about, 10k that is half as much. The 9.0 is the perfect sinerio as we are talking about high grade books (9.2 JLA 1). An ugly 9.0??, any 9.0 is going to be nice/decent, ugly is a not the best choice of word thats your opinion, and pressing may have a little to do with it but NOT 10k worth (half as much) of the other 9.0. The Maine AF 15 was pressed up a full grade and is still a VERY diseriable book. Pressing has little to do with anything in todays society what it has to do is what the book is and it is a D.C. which is not doing as well as marvel right now, as it is becoming harder and harder to find 9.0's up that have never been pressed. [/quote

Yes, but if you actually search these boards, there's an entire history on that specific book.

It's not the pressing which turned people off on that BB 28, it was specifically that it was a terrible 9.0 -- and everyone knew it was n 8.0.

The copy had a huge distributor spray that was very ugly, and it was not the press.

Look at all the other data, your statement was that things used to sell for much more in 02-05, and that is totally refuted by all other data on BB 28 and JLA 1 except the one 9.0 sale.

I agree that AF 15 is a hotter, better, more liquid book. BUT for a DC collector, DCs are far more scarce and come up far less often. It's also why a JLA 1 sells for $30-$35k in 9.2 and an ASM 1 would sell for far more. Regardless, JLA 1 is a top tier key, and so are a lot of DCs that don't sell for the same value as their Marvel counterparts.

Lets get back to what I was talking about though, 35,000 is ridiculous and I believe we can all agree to that, considering a 9.4 is pushing 40,000 according to your data. [/quote

What can I say, I don't agree with you, which is why I've set it at $35k.

You know what? You make a convincing argument. Looking at all the data available, you might not be in the wrong ballpark after all.

Is it just the scan, or is there a slight bit of tanning on the spine?

It's an extremely tough book in grade. This is the third to be graded 9.2 (unrestored).

Three 9.4s (blue label). One 9.6.

I'd say it's a pretty tough book.

Those are "common as dirt" numbers in my eyes. :baiting:

And if you look back at the JLA 1 data, from 9.0 up, it sells $8913 in 2004 and in 2008 it's up to $16,910.

The 9.2 has one sale at $27,600

For 9.4s -- 2005 = $29,900, 2010 = $40,000...

Sorry Brian, don't want to rain on your post but I was the seller of the 9.2 copy back in 2004 and a major reason it sold for so much was that Josh and Steve had a good idea that it could become a 9.4, which it did and then subsequently got flipped at a very healthy profit (along with the 9.2 Flash 105 which also became a 9.4) to JP.

And if you look back at the JLA 1 data, from 9.0 up, it sells $8913 in 2004 and in 2008 it's up to $16,910.

Sorry Brian, don't want to rain on your post but I was the seller of the 9.2 copy back in 2004 and a major reason it sold for so much was that Josh and Steve had a good idea that it could become a 9.4, which it did and then subsequently got flipped at a very healthy profit (along with the 9.2 Flash 105 which also became a 9.4) to JP.

Yes, I was aware that the buyer thought it was a good pressing candidate. However, with a 7 year gap and the small number of books on the census, I still believe it's a good starting number.

Yes, I was aware that the buyer thought it was a good pressing candidate. However, with a 7 year gap and the small number of books on the census, I still believe it's a good starting number.

Yeah, not disagreeing on your right to set your asking price. Just providing a little background on that particular sale.

Lets get back to what I was talking about though, 35,000 is ridiculous

I don't understand why you can't just let Brian price his book where he feels comfortable and let the market decide.

There's nothing ridiculous about Brian except that he gets ridiculously nice books.

JLA #1 and B+B #28 have exploded (in some cases DOUBLED) in price over the past 1.5 years and you can't just go by GPA sales to tell the whole story.

(thumbs u

For what it`s worth, I believe that the 9.4 sale in 2005 for $29,900 is the same book as my 9.2 that sold for $27,600. If I recall, JP bought it for somewhere north of $40K after it got upgraded to 9.4 and then took a huge bath when he exited the hobby en masse. Gotta love this hobby.

If I recall, JP bought it for somewhere north of $40K after it got upgraded to 9.4 and then took a huge bath when he exited the hobby en masse. Gotta love this hobby.

JP got in too fast and left too quickly. I heard he wanted to sell off quick because of another huge purchase he was trying to make.

Too bad he didn't hang around.

Brian, the color strike on your copy is so nice. Awesome cover on the first issue of one of D.C.'s flagship titles. Not an easy item to replace in inventory at that grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No I know, it's very hard to gauge because the book, like many DC keys, has very little pricing data. I'm not in a rush to sell and of course I'm negotiable if someone is serious in terms of interest.

Brian, your JLA 1 is a stunning copy. Congrats. While I am not a player for books in this price range I would like to comment on pricing in general. I prefer to see a relatively firm price rather than a negotiable starting point. I see so many books on Clink with ridiculous asking prices that I hardly look anymore.

I agree with you that it is difficult to price books like this.