• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Board... Anything anyone likes so far?
2 2

298 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2017 at 8:28 AM, Doc McCoy said:

Just work on this color scheme and you'll cut the complaints by 2/3 :wishluck:

Right now I sign in and:

blinded.jpg

Have you tried the beta Theme -- found all the way at the bottom of the page?

9 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, apparently making it at least look more like a mirror of the old board would cut down on the whining from the technologically inept.

I like a lot of the new features from what I've explored so far and the little tweaks that have been made have already improved the boards since the launch.

So not liking the new color scheme or the large borders makes one "technologically inept?" hm

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

LAZYBOY: "Well, apparently making it at least look more like a mirror of the old board would cut down on the whining from the technologically inept. I like a lot of the new features from what I've explored so far and the little tweaks that have been made have already improved the boards since the launch."

ICEFIRES: So not liking the new color scheme or the large borders makes one "technologically inept?" hm

LAZYBOY: That's not what I said and, strangely enough :eyeroll:, not what I meant.

Edited by icefires

After starting new monster sales threads yesterday (shameless plug), I've found I've noticed the following:

1)  Image loading from other sites (like imgur) is as easy as before.  What's better is that the image shows up immediately without me needing to preview the post, which I used to do all the time in old sales threads to make sure I'd cut and pasted the proper link).  It's a small-time saver, but when you're listing hundreds of books, it's nice.

2) I just figured out how to spoiler images of books that have sold -- that's HUGE for me in running a big thread.  I mark a book as "SOLD" in the listing, but I don't like to delete images when something does sell (to keep them for future reference), and it cuts down on the clutter to spoiler the pics.  It's much quicker and easier (for me, anyhow) to spoiler pics with the new format. Again, nothing earth-shattering, but a nice change that saves a little time.

3) I'm having all kinds of difficulty quoting someone's :takeit:with a ^^.  I know it involves the multi-quote function, but I'm evidently behind the curve on getting that to work for me. :tonofbricks:

4) I have notifications turned on for me for those sales threads, and it's been nice while I'm posting new books in one to be notified that something's being claimed in another.  The PM notifications are nice as well, as I wouldn't see the blinking arrow sometimes while running a sales thread before in the midst of everything as busy as it can be, but now if someone is PM'ing me, I have a better chance of knowing it.

5) I think the ability to have longer thread titles (from what it looks like to me so far) and tags will enable me to put more info about what's in the thread when someone is viewing it from the main page. While it's not a big deal when your thread is just starting (or when you have a super-ridiculously long title thread like I have now), but I've had threads before where I wanted to highlight certain books in the title, along with the page of the recap AND potential discounts and found that things had to either be abbreviated or cut -- I think this will be less of an issue now.

All in all, it's a week or so in, and while not everything is the way I'd like it and there are things I prefer about the old format, I'm keeping an open mind and waiting to see how things adjust as more feedback comes in. 

Edited by ChiSoxFan

1 hour ago, ChiSoxFan said:

3) I'm having all kinds of difficulty quoting someone's :takeit:with a ^^.  I know it involves the multi-quote function, but I'm evidently behind the curve on getting that to work for me. :tonofbricks:

You can multiquote by highlighting all the posts you want to quote and then clicking on "Quote this" when it appears.

One thing I really like about the new boards is how postings are now marked as being read or unread.

This was a minor annoyance that disappeared with the old boards. On those boards all I had to do was open the page/board and then everything would be set to being marked as read if I returned later, even when I never even read the various posts. With these new boards the topics appear to remain as unread until I actually read them.

The colors I can deal with for now. Kind of funny, but if any of you have the current Dilbert Day to Day desk calendar - it has nearly the same red and black color theme as the new board. I had thought that maybe the new board designer had the same desk calendar.

Edited by ThreeSeas
spelling

On 7/14/2007 at 3:43 PM, esquirecomics said:

I am sure there are some features that are indeed improved from the past boards, but overall I really do remain unhappy with the changes in toto. :(

I should also add that I think it would have made far more sense to have unveiled the site once it was more completed rather than correcting piece-mail problems. Additionally, given the significant changes it probably would have behooved CGC to have afforded some users a beta-site to play with in order to receive feedback pre-unveiling (unless that was done and I am unaware of it).

Time will tell.

I got a reply about the beta testing and was told there were some beta testers but hard to believe no beta tester pointed out the color "skin" of this new board and other issues.  My question is why does this new board have to be such a "work in progress" in the first place...but I do  believe this new board will get a whole lot better over time and will be just fine for all of us.  Give them some credit to "try to improve" things for us.

On 7/14/2007 at 4:13 PM, BronzeBruce13 said:

I agree with some of this... I guess I'm working from the position that if a significant amount of constructive feedback suggests that the color scheme is not favorable... an adjustment could be made. I'm not thrilled with the color...kinda drab, not energetic. Someone that understands color psychology and how that impacts mood and personality could potentially lend some useful insight.

Just give us the skin of the old board and I believe that alone will go a long way in improving this new board. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Just give us the skin of the old board and I believe that alone will go a long way in improving this new board. 

Do you realize that you're quoting a post from 2007 criticizing the old board skin that you are now asking for?

I've noticed this board doesn't become unresponsive at 1:00 am (4:00 am for the easterners) every morning for back-up, maintenance, or whatever the reason was - that's a good thing.
Unless I just haven't been logged on whenever this happens, now.   :)

1 hour ago, Revol said:

The new board looks much better than the old one on mobile devices.

I actually agree with that.  It's much better on the mobile than it used to be, which is nice for PMs and the like.  However, I come here to discuss and look at comic books and prefer to do that on a PC where I can actually see a larger image.   

They have made some decent improvements from the initial roll out last week, but it's still not great.   I haven't been able to play with all the "new features" yet for two reasons: 

1. Can't stay on the boards very long as they still give me a headache.

2. Have no idea where I find/how to use the features (I did figure out the "highlight quote", which is nice).   I think Roy said in another thread an FAQ and/or tutorial thread would be real nice.   Although that would add another sticky and make for even more scrolling (which, besides the eye sore, is the worst thing about the new boards).   Way too much scrolling required.  

9 hours ago, Architecht said:

Do you realize that you're quoting a post from 2007 criticizing the old board skin that you are now asking for?

Yes I am and I believe there a lot of board members who would prefer that old board skin than this skin layout.  I do not think I'm the only one asking for the old board skin and colors. 

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

They have made some decent improvements from the initial roll out last week, but it's still not great.   I haven't been able to play with all the "new features" yet for two reasons: 

1. Can't stay on the boards very long as they still give me a headache.

2. Have no idea where I find/how to use the features (I did figure out the "highlight quote", which is nice).   I think Roy said in another thread an FAQ and/or tutorial thread would be real nice.   Although that would add another sticky and make for even more scrolling (which, besides the eye sore, is the worst thing about the new boards).   Way too much scrolling required.  

They could have set up an FAQ in it's own forum. It would have prevented zillions of questions being answered over and over.

That right block of useless info still needs to go (or at the very least made optional).

And as someone else said, they need to hire someone who understands visual management to make the site look better.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:
10 hours ago, Architecht said:

Yes I am and I believe there a lot of board members who would prefer that old board skin than this skin layout.  I do not think I'm the only one asking for the old board skin and colors.

I think what people want is the visual flow that the other skin had.

I don't see CGC going back to the old color scheme as these are their corporate colors. But how the eye meets the page is most important and they can do that with this color scheme.

Love the fact that you can hover over a thread title and if you wait long enough you get the first post in a pop-up that you can scroll to see the whole post and a quick link to see the last post. A very quick and easy way to see if I'm interesting in reading through a thread or not.