• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your ONE-OF-A-KIND CGC SS books, or lone top census CGC SS books!
19 19

4,431 posts in this topic

Double shot of Mark Bagley. By my research, After Apocalypse 1 is his first published work & Nightmask 9 is the first professional work (Paragraphics might have been like a LCS printing books. Really short list of titles/issues). There's a post on Bagley's Instagram from some time ago indicating AA was his first comic. Both are top of the SS census. 

AfterApocalypse-1.jpg

Nightmask-9.jpg

On 10/12/2023 at 2:04 PM, scburdet said:

Double shot of Mark Bagley. By my research, After Apocalypse 1 is his first published work & Nightmask 9 is the first professional work (Paragraphics might have been like a LCS printing books. Really short list of titles/issues). There's a post on Bagley's Instagram from some time ago indicating AA was his first comic. Both are top of the SS census. 

AfterApocalypse-1.jpg

Nightmask-9.jpg

Love the green sig! These are amazing to see as an artist’s early work a lot of times shows them trying to figure things out. These are really well done though.

In honor of Keith Giffen, who passed away on Monday, I present these two highest-graded signature series Defenders. One of my favorite runs, written by David Anthony Kraft, who passed away during COVID, but also signed the books before he got sick.

IMG_2082.jpeg

Defenders 48.jpeg

Edited by CardiacKid1
Bigger pic of 48

Abraxas: Pre-professional Walt Simonson fanzine. Only maybe 1 or 2 similar Rhode Island School of Design zines that predate it (only seen a photo of one of those). Came out the year he graduated. Only graded copy.

Monsters & Heroes 2: A few Universal copies, no other signatures. Louise Simonson when she was Louise Jones. Not credited on the label, but she scripted her then-husband Jeff Jones story. Earliest work I can find that she worked on (would have been 21 at the time).

Abraxas-1.jpg

MonstersHeroes-2.jpg

Surprised no one ever had one of these signed by Roy Thomas before, although there are a few higher Universal copies. I think the aging paper hurt this one. Modeling with Millie 44 is credited as RT's first Marvel work, this book came out just after it appears & the label says first RT published story (shrug)

SonOfVulcan-50.jpg

Last one that fits the forum from a TerrifiCon batch that just came back. This is Jimmy Palmiotti's first inking job, as verbally confirmed by him & by the #1 he added. No such acknowledgement on the label. It appears he had one cover coloring job that was published a little earlier. Tied with the top Universal copy. Only 2 on the census. You'll have to dig into my albums to see the rest of the TerrifiCon loot as the rest were tied at best for the top SS spots.

Yakuza-1.jpg

On 10/18/2023 at 11:29 PM, scburdet said:

Last one that fits the forum from a TerrifiCon batch that just came back. This is Jimmy Palmiotti's first inking job, as verbally confirmed by him & by the #1 he added. No such acknowledgement on the label. It appears he had one cover coloring job that was published a little earlier. Tied with the top Universal copy. Only 2 on the census. You'll have to dig into my albums to see the rest of the TerrifiCon loot as the rest were tied at best for the top SS spots.

Yakuza-1.jpg

This is a book that only gets done out of pure love for the artform and the SS program.  It's absolutely great.