• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, AlphaOmega said:

So here is the short version of the story regarding the MLJ collection that I recently had the good fortune to be involved with...

Around March of 2021, a guy walked into my local comic shop with some comics to sell. There were a few long boxes of very nice, mostly unread Bronze books. He mentioned that he had some nicer, older books back home. All of these books came from his uncles estate that he had recently inherited.  The shop owner informed me of this collection and I was able to purchase several of the Bronze books as well as two short boxes of miscellaneous Gold (which I sold most of over on the Golden Age marketplace forum in April).  Eventually the current owner brought in the "older books". Wow! They were all in binders and after a few days of reviewing, investigating, talking to Lon & Ed at Heritage, we realized that these books were the remaining portion of the Pinnacle Hill collection that surfaced back in 2010. I made a video describing this discovery and I am currently editing part 2 of that video where I interview the comic shop owner.  I will post a link here if anyone is interested.

Fast forward to today.  Heritage agreed to post these books in their September Signature auction and approximately 100 of them have returned from CGC grading to date.  Its questionable if all will make it back in time due to the huge increase in turn around times but I'm hopeful the majority will make it under the wire. A handful will be in their Sunday comics auction after the Signature event.  Here is a list of all of the books in this second half of the Pinnacle Hill collection:

• Black Hood #9-19
  • Blue Ribbon Comics #1-22
  • Jackpot #1-9
  • Hangman #2-8 plus Special Comics #1
  • Pep Comics #1-65 (missing #22)
  • Shield-Wizard #1-13
  • Top Notch Comics #1-44
  • Zip Comics #1-47

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, AlphaOmega said:

So here is the short version of the story regarding the MLJ collection that I recently had the good fortune to be involved with...

Around March of 2021, a guy walked into my local comic shop with some comics to sell. There were a few long boxes of very nice, mostly unread Bronze books. He mentioned that he had some nicer, older books back home. All of these books came from his uncles estate that he had recently inherited.  The shop owner informed me of this collection and I was able to purchase several of the Bronze books as well as two short boxes of miscellaneous Gold (which I sold most of over on the Golden Age marketplace forum in April).  Eventually the current owner brought in the "older books". Wow! They were all in binders and after a few days of reviewing, investigating, talking to Lon & Ed at Heritage, we realized that these books were the remaining portion of the Pinnacle Hill collection that surfaced back in 2010. I made a video describing this discovery and I am currently editing part 2 of that video where I interview the comic shop owner.  I will post a link here if anyone is interested.

Fast forward to today.  Heritage agreed to post these books in their September Signature auction and approximately 100 of them have returned from CGC grading to date.  Its questionable if all will make it back in time due to the huge increase in turn around times but I'm hopeful the majority will make it under the wire. A handful will be in their Sunday comics auction after the Signature event.  Here is a list of all of the books in this second half of the Pinnacle Hill collection:

• Black Hood #9-19
  • Blue Ribbon Comics #1-22
  • Jackpot #1-9
  • Hangman #2-8 plus Special Comics #1
  • Pep Comics #1-65 (missing #22)
  • Shield-Wizard #1-13
  • Top Notch Comics #1-44
  • Zip Comics #1-47

Amazing and not just because I was a customer of Jim’s at his first Empire Comics Mt. Hope store in 1976 with a weekly pull list until 1986. I know there must be more to show as Archie 1 was previously sold in the first round of pinnacle books. Where are the rest of the Archie’s?  Inquiring minds want to know?  BTW great video.