• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021 at 5:51 AM, sagii said:

:golfclap:Blue Ribbon is my favorite MLJ run. My copy of this issue was my gateway. I've come close to acquiring half the run, and am content with that.

Extremely nice books, thanks for posting!

I’ll second that. I have always loved the Spectre. When I discovered Mr Justice, I had to have as many of his appearances as I could find. All the covers are great as well.  Mine are mostly low grade as I got started late. I’m down to 3 left. I will probably never get his first and last BR appearances but you never know. And that stupid freckle faced kid severely impeded my progress on the Jackpot issues but I got a couple. 

AlphaOmega, those BRs are spectacular.  Because the collection has not been recognized as a pedigree, I assume that none of these books was bought off the stand by the original owner of the collection.  As second-hand books, how is it that the quality of the collection is so consistently high? Where was he buying them?

Edited by RareHighGrade

On 8/20/2021 at 6:32 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thank you so much for posting these raw pics and sharing the story!!! It must've been amazing seeing all of these in front of you!!! It's been a real treat seeing them posted here!!! Thanks again (thumbsu

I wholeheartedly agree with Frisco here! What a treat indeed. So many killer MLJs that you just don't see on the market much anymore. Should be some real fireworks at auction. I've got my eyes on several, and with any luck I'll walk away with one of them! lol

On 8/20/2021 at 7:32 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thank you so much for posting these raw pics and sharing the story!!! It must've been amazing seeing all of these in front of you!!! It's been a real treat seeing them posted here!!! Thanks again (thumbsu

It was!  It was also great having auction houses eager to get these. Lon Allen and Ed Jaster flew right up to take a look at these books and were somewhat underwhelmed due to the Promise pedigree books they were processing at the time :-D.

I made a few videos detailing the back story on this collection and posted them to YouTube if anyone is interested. I'll post the links here.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:22 PM, AlphaOmega said:

It was!  It was also great having auction houses eager to get these. Lon Allen and Ed Jaster flew right up to take a look at these books and were somewhat underwhelmed due to the Promise pedigree books they were processing at the time :-D.

I made a few videos detailing the back story on this collection and posted them to YouTube if anyone is interested. I'll post the links here.

A once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure! Yeah, Heritage gets so much in the way of killer high grade books, that I can imagine impressing them isn't something that happens easily. However, I'm sure they were thrilled to get the comics and auction them, as they stand to make an enormous amount of money, even if their enthusiasm was less than most anyone else would express. I suppose that's what happens when you have a constant flow of killer material to auction. I'll be looking to add something from that collection to mine. Fingers crossed :wishluck: Oh and thanks again (thumbsu